RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #1

Engines

Which is the best engine for motorhomes and why? I plan on buying one one day but i know very little about diesel engines.

Mport10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
First you have to decide what you will be using the motorhome for.

Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #3

Diesel. Unless you're never going to go near any uphill roads. Do lots of research; there's lots to learn...
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Diesel. Unless you're never going to go near any uphill roads. Do lots of research; there's lots to learn...
Old 03-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
I have put 69000 miles on my gasser in 42 States and 2 Provinces. Plenty of hill climbed in those miles.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Like i said before you need to decide what you want the motorhome for.
Full time diesel is the must but if you travel only on vacations and few short trips along the year a gas engine is what you need to begin with. Maintenance in a gas engine is cheaper and easyer most of it DIY. Diesel not so cheap and you will need professionals.
So before you aks wich answer what for.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Mport10377".......without any additional information, one of the best RV engines is the Cummins ISL. Yes there are well built smaller engines and larger engines, but the most popular and reliable engine used in motor homes TODAY, is the 8.9L Cummins ISL.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #8

Diesels are great & in most cases preferred .... but a must ? Really ? Cause I know of a few full timers that would disagree
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #9

Depends on your wallet.
I pass plenty of diesels and semis in my 33 foot gasser pulling my SUV toad.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To me it's usage model and size if the RV. Our previous coach was a 38' gasser. Worked great for our one or two weekend a month and week long vacations within a day or two drive from home. Now in retirement as half timers and long distance trips, and wanting a bigger coach, diesel pusher is the way to go. I do miss the low cost and simplicity of the gasser... But love the diesel pusher for our current usage.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mport10377 View Post
Which is the best engine for motorhomes and why? I plan on buying one one day but i know very little about diesel engines.
Well Sir,
Books can be written (and have been probably) on the information you're looking for. To start with, motor homes are nothing but rolling Kleenex boxes with the aerodynamics of a building. Propelling these boxes down the road is no easy task. The larger, longer and more heavier ones, need larger and stronger engines. And then there's US. the infamous HUMANOID that will load any and all of them to the gills.

So, in the end, you have a square box, rolling down or, UP some serious grades with most of the time, barely enough power to get them up and over the next hill. And of course, about 98% of us drag along, some form of mobile transportation being them which, adds even MORE WEIGHT!!!

So, which engine is the best, and why? Well, as some have suggested here, we'd need a bit more info for a good, qualified answer. Much of the answer is cost related. Diesels, by the nature, are much higher in cost up front. Albeit the engines are MOSTLY in the back. In general, diesel engines are normally a bit more powerful then the gas versions. But, that's not a given, by any means. There are small, intermediate and large diesel engines in todays coaches. But, for the average RVer, that is pursuing a diesel, in the average low to mid range diesel coach, you'll find a medium powered engine.

I can't even begin to tell you of the performance of those, never been in one. Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT engine. Caterpillar was a good engine, in just about any of it's versions for motor homes. Lots of happy coach owners out there with many versions of the CAT. But, CAT decided a while back, around maybe '08 or '09 or so, (not sure of the exact model year) to pull out of the "over the road" engine supply company. They continued in the construction side of things but, walked away from the RV and many other truck chassis industries.

That leaves Cummins, Detroit and, maybe one other, in the larger class A applications. Mercedes Benz powers up some of the smaller class B and C versions. The Diesel engine powered A is normally quieter, better and smoother riding, has larger and more heavy duty brakes, air systems for brakes and air ride, larger tires and wheels, heavier frames, and a few other benefits. And, because of most of those bennies, the cost shows it.

However, there are plenty of very nice, quite capable gas units out there in RV land. GM was in the game for quite a while. They were the "Work Horse" boys. Work Horse was a chassis that, in the end, sported a very nice and powerful 8.1L injected engine. Many folks loved those coaches. But, for some reason, of which I really never learned, GM and Workhorse slipped out of the RV game a while back.

That leave Ford, the main supplier of Gas engines for the RV world. The main engine that Ford supplies is the infamous Triton V-10. As I understand it, the Class A gas coaches get a different V-10 than the Class C does. The C gets a bit less powered version.

Anyway, without dragging this along for more and more "bla bla bla", it would be nice to know what your intentions are with your intended coach. By supplying that info, many qualified folks can give you first hand help from the many experiences they've had.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:41 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
Books can be written (and have been probably) on the information you're looking for. To start with, motor homes are nothing but rolling Kleenex boxes with the aerodynamics of a building. Propelling these boxes down the road is no easy task. The larger, longer and more heavier ones, need larger and stronger engines. And then there's US. the infamous HUMANOID that will load any and all of them to the gills.

So, in the end, you have a square box, rolling down or, UP some serious grades with most of the time, barely enough power to get them up and over the next hill. And of course, about 98% of us drag along, some form of mobile transportation being them which, adds even MORE WEIGHT!!!

So, which engine is the best, and why? Well, as some have suggested here, we'd need a bit more info for a good, qualified answer. Much of the answer is cost related. Diesels, by the nature, are much higher in cost up front. Albeit the engines are MOSTLY in the back. In general, diesel engines are normally a bit more powerful then the gas versions. But, that's not a given, by any means. There are small, intermediate and large diesel engines in todays coaches. But, for the average RVer, that is pursuing a diesel, in the average low to mid range diesel coach, you'll find a medium powered engine.

I can't even begin to tell you of the performance of those, never been in one. Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT engine. Caterpillar was a good engine, in just about any of it's versions for motor homes. Lots of happy coach owners out there with many versions of the CAT. But, CAT decided a while back, around maybe '08 or '09 or so, (not sure of the exact model year) to pull out of the "over the road" engine supply company. They continued in the construction side of things but, walked away from the RV and many other truck chassis industries.

That leaves Cummins, Detroit and, maybe one other, in the larger class A applications. Mercedes Benz powers up some of the smaller class B and C versions. The Diesel engine powered A is normally quieter, better and smoother riding, has larger and more heavy duty brakes, air systems for brakes and air ride, larger tires and wheels, heavier frames, and a few other benefits. And, because of most of those bennies, the cost shows it.

However, there are plenty of very nice, quite capable gas units out there in RV land. GM was in the game for quite a while. They were the "Work Horse" boys. Work Horse was a chassis that, in the end, sported a very nice and powerful 8.1L injected engine. Many folks loved those coaches. But, for some reason, of which I really never learned, GM and Workhorse slipped out of the RV game a while back.

That leave Ford, the main supplier of Gas engines for the RV world. The main engine that Ford supplies is the infamous Triton V-10. As I understand it, the Class A gas coaches get a different V-10 than the Class C does. The C gets a bit less powered version.

Anyway, without dragging this along for more and more "bla bla bla", it would be nice to know what your intentions are with your intended coach. By supplying that info, many qualified folks can give you first hand help from the many experiences they've had.
Scott
Perfectly done !!!!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:53 PM   #13

Our 38' gas powered rig, now with 91k miles, has served us well for the past 16 years. Our travels averaged 5,700 miles per year.

Good luck with your choice...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:54 AM   #14
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

This may help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GAS vs DIESEL which is best-w-intro.pdf (79.6 KB, 31 views)

TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine