Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2005, 02:42 PM   #1

Hi, still shopping. We need a 32 to 34 foot Class A. Will a 190 hp diesel feel too underpowered? Our price range will allow probably nothing much newer than about a 95 or 96 model year. If you have advice to share, we'll appreciate it. Thanks, Harvey

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2005, 02:42 PM   #2

Hi, still shopping. We need a 32 to 34 foot Class A. Will a 190 hp diesel feel too underpowered? Our price range will allow probably nothing much newer than about a 95 or 96 model year. If you have advice to share, we'll appreciate it. Thanks, Harvey

Cummins/Allison
Old 08-22-2005, 05:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Most owners of a 190 HP diesel say it is wimpy, but if you haven't driven a more powerful one you may not notice. And of course, it depends on your driving habits and what you consider "underpowered". Make sure it has a six speed Allison transmission, though. I've heard of a few chassis with 4 speeds and those will surely be poor performers.

I would think the 190 horse Cummins would be OK for a 32 footer but maybe come up a bit short on a larger rig.

Consider a gas chassis as an alternative. A Workhorse with 8.1L V8 or Ford with a V10 should perform nicely in that size range. The older Fords with a 460 also perform well is the rig isn't too heavy, say under 17,000 lbs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:39 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
We had the little Cummins in our first coach, a '94 Coachmen. Thirty two footer. With 4 speed I believe. Very weak, as my old dad used to say, "wouldn't pull a greasy string from a cat's bu**". However, we got a lot of miles out of that coach and had some great times. Mountains in NC and Tnn slowed us down a bunch though.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Harvey,

I don't know where your located, but if you check out Lazydays web site for a 1999 Harney coach works "Renegade" you might be able to get it at a very good price. These are no longer made as Monaco bought out the company, but Monaco will provide support. The Renegade is a 37 foot class A, 300 hp cat engine with a 6speed allison tranny. One slide, 50amp service. It will most came with an LP generator as the diesel geni was an option. I know they have/had 2 on the lot. I own one and I'm getting around 9.8 mpg with 80k on the speedo. It's just about broke in. I don't know where your budget is, but this might be a fit for you. I'm not in sales, but I do work for them as a repair tech. Good luck in your endeavors to find the right coach.
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:07 AM   #6

Renegade, Thank you! I did go to the website and look. They're beautiful, but we need to stay in the 34 ft. range to fit in our kid's driveway. The ones listed were both 37 footers. I appreciate your help and advice.
This is a great forum. Thanks again, Harvey

Cummins/Allison
Old 10-18-2005, 07:15 AM   #7

If you're still looking at the motorhome with the 190hp Cummins check to see if you can add a power chip. I used the EZ Edge on my 99 Dodge that added something like 60hp and about 100lbft of torque. That and a home made intake kit really helped when pulling our 34' 5th wheel.

DW
NDBBM is offline   Reply With Quote