Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2016, 07:15 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
These are both very well built coaches with a very similar floorplan.

You need to get past the glitz and excitement and really think about how you are using the coach and you will begin to see that there are some distinct differences in the layout.

Entegra uses 4 slides, Newmar uses a Full Wall Slide.
Advantage of 4 slides: some people will argue that the coach has more support structure instead of a massive opening. Also the fear of Full Wall Slide failure.
Advantage of the full wall slide:
The full wall slide really opens up the interior of the coach and makes it look much bigger.
Fear of full wall slide failure is unfounded, it does not seem to be a frequent problem.

Entegra uses a staggered pathway to the bedroom.
The advantage of the staggered pathway is that it separates the living area from the bedroom area for more privacy.
The advantage of the open pathway is that it makes the coach look more open and roomy.

Dining Room Placement
The Entegra moves the dining room forward, sharing the living room space with the TV and couch.
The Newmar moves the dining room rearward allowing for 2 recliners or second couch.

These are all small differences that may make "No difference" or "All the difference in the world" to you.

Here is what we did when faced with the exact question you have.
We spent hours alone (send the salesman away) in each of these coaches imagining how we would use the coach, going through every possible scenario we could think of. In the end the clear choice for us was the Newmar DutchStar because it fit the way we wanted to live in it.

As I said in the beginning, both coaches are well built, you will do fine with either one. As everyone else will tell you, floorplan is the most important thing and you can't pick a perfect floorplan sitting in the coach for 10 minutes with a salesperson "reciting" all the features that make his coach perfect.

Good Luck in your search. Quick suggestion, Lazy Days is a great place to sit alone in an Entegra and really think about it. North Trail is a great place to see a lot of Newmars, but we did not find them a comfortable place to sit alone in the coach (salesmen love to hover).
Also Hershey and Tampa RV Shows are an excellent place to spend as much time as you need in each and gives you the advantage of running back and forth to compare specific issues.

Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
This type of comparison question always puzzles me. The OP's opinion is the only one that matters. They are the ones that will live in it and have to pay for it. Each brand is a good one. Each model will have owners that will complement theirs and some will have problems. Now if you want my opinion because you are going to loan the one you buy to me for my personal use, I'll jump right to the front of the line. I doubt that. When we bought any of our new coaches, I didn't care what anyone thought as it was our decision. So in the end when it comes time to sign on the dotted line, which ever one satisfies you the most is the right one.
This post ought to be saved and then used as a cut & paste as it would answer perhaps hundreds of similar posts. Well said Crasher.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
This type of comparison question always puzzles me. The OP's opinion is the only one that matters. They are the ones that will live in it and have to pay for it. Each brand is a good one. Each model will have owners that will complement theirs and some will have problems. Now if you want my opinion because you are going to loan the one you buy to me for my personal use, I'll jump right to the front of the line. I doubt that. When we bought any of our new coaches, I didn't care what anyone thought as it was our decision. So in the end when it comes time to sign on the dotted line, which ever one satisfies you the most is the right one.
Sage advice. Our perception is our reality. If you are happy you would be foolish to compare yourself to others possessions or listen to their opinions.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with Crasher. I would also suggest doing your own research on either, including visits to the factories to see how they are built (if that is practical for you). At some point you may then have some specific questions about either which could then be answered by folks who own them.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #19
RVM1

Entegra Anthem or Newmar Dutch Star

If I had the sheckles, I would order the one with a modified floorplan of my design. The best happy!
Warranties are merely part of the cost/price structure. Pay now or pay later.
But I dont have the sheckles.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Off topic but we had very little work done on our WGO. Just liked the floor plan better. Comparing units sitting at the dealers the quality was about the same IMO.

I agree. I would go with the WGO.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
If I had the sheckles, I would order the one with a modified floorplan of my design. The best happy!
Warranties are merely part of the cost/price structure. Pay now or pay later.
But I dont have the sheckles.

What are the "sheckels" of which you speak?
Old 09-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
What are the "sheckels" of which you speak?
Israeli money

Israeli new shekel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_new_shekel
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #23

I don't think too many would argue that Newmar and Entegra are two of the leading manufacturers in the mid-level luxury coaches. We have been tire kicking both manufacturers for the last several years and have seen a lot of changes made by both companies.

I'm not sure that a comparison between the Dutch Star and the Anthem is totally correct. The Aspire has had a lot of improvements which I would say puts it close to if not equal to the Dutch Star. Both are side radiator rigs that are all electric. With the Aspire that is standard and the Dutch Star it is optional. I would say that a comparably equipped Aspire is closer to the Dutch Star than the Ventana and the Anthem is closer to the Mountain Aire.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #24

Thank you everyone for your posts/replies... I have done my research on both, my reason for posting this was to get other opinions and to see if I've missed anything in my research.... Hey, Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Old 09-04-2016, 02:49 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Ten years full time, talking to many owners and watching lots of forums. I consider Newmar to be the "gold standard" of production motorhomes. I've never owned either brand.
Don't know that they are the "gold standard" but I consider Newmar a step above Entegra...never owned either brand.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #26

Newmar or Entegra

I owned a 2014 Entegra Cornerstone and had nothing but problems. I live close to the Entegra plant and they couldn't get me in for warranty repairs in less than 6 months. They referred me to a local repair company for warranty issues. They did their best, but as they mentioned, "you're good until your next trip". I ended up selling it and now I'm looking to purchase a Newmar. If you drive both, there is a big difference. The comfort drive in the Newmar makes a big difference and it's a much better drive.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Make sure you look at both closed up for travel, in case that is important to you (it was to me). I found the Newmars, in general, were a lot tighter when closed up. Also didn't like the raised lip that the tile slide outs formed when closed. Ended up bumping my ankle (ouch!) on one in a Dutch Star and the coach wasn't even moving, even though I was.

At the end of the day, they really are both nice. if I had to choose between those two it would be the 44B. Hard to beat that floorplan (but why is there no medicine cabinet in the back bathroom?!?). From what I have read, the buggy issues of the 2013/2014s have improved with the 2015 models. Not sure where you're located, but I don't have many Spartan service centers nearby (and don't have the luxury of being retired so that driving to one wouldn't be an issue), so Freightliner was more appealing. Of course, everyone's situation is different.

Good luck to you on your big decision!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:07 PM   #28

Decisions,Decisions???

Highly recommend spending some time at this site Buying RVs, Tow Vehicles and Toads by phred & become a member of the following site RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs.Small price to pay for a wealth of info on not making a bad choice.

Tags
dutch star, entegra, newmar