Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Cornerstone and Other High Power Options

I was at an RV Park in Tucson a few days ago and a local dealer had some coaches on Display. We always go and look just for fun, but the 2016 Entegra Cornerstone (45B floorplan) completely "Wowed" us. We love our current Coach and will probably keep it for 3-5 more years, but it occurred to me that since I usually buy used a 2016 may be exactly what I am going to be looking for when we do make the move. We would be looking for a 42-45' tag axle coach, but my biggest complaint in my current coach (really my only complaint) is the somewhat anemic power from my CAT 330 compared to these much larger Engine choices. The Entegra Cornerstone will be on my list but are other "High Power" options I should look at too. The Entegra has 600hp and 1950 ft/lbs of torque. I know the Allegro Bus has a similar set up, but not aware of any others. We liked the Entegra floorplan better than the Allegro Bus. I tow a 4500lb modified Jeep Wrangler and carry a fair amount of stuff (My wife is an Artist and supplies are heavy! Our current MH weighs 31,000lbs and we can really struggle going up grades which in the West are not that uncommon!
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 01:24 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Several owners of the '07 ISX engine have reported problems here in the Cummins section and also at the Foretravel site.
However the newer ones with DEF seem to be OK.
Newmar also uses the ISX in most of their "Luxury" line.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Newmar also uses the ISX in most of their "Luxury" line...
So does American Coach.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:41 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
So does American Coach.
Everyone does, pretty much. Cat got out of the OTR business totally. DD and Volvo are the only other ones out there, and I don't think either sells in the RV market. Except maybe Prevosts.

I have an '08 KGDB with probably an '07 ISX. The only non-maintenance work it's ever needed is an EGR valve.

All three of the top Newmar models currently use the ISX 600 - King Aire, Essex, London Aire.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #5

No one really "needs" a 600 hp motor home. The power is always nice at times, but is not needed. Our Bus has the common 450 Cummins with 1250# torque. There are a lot of them on the road. With our loaded trailer, we tip the scales just over 50,000#. We can run any interstate in the country and keep up with most trucks and faster than some on the 6-7% grades. Our son has a Mountain Aire with 1650# of torque and there is very little difference going up to 11,000' west of Denver. There certainly is no disadvantage to having extra power, but I would not limit my search for a newer coach to one with 600 hp. Much larger selection when including the 450 hp group that will do everything needed.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
No one really "needs" a 600 hp motor home. The power is always nice at times, but is not needed. Our Bus has the common 450 Cummins with 1250# torque. There are a lot of them on the road. With our loaded trailer, we tip the scales just over 50,000#. We can run any interstate in the country and keep up with most trucks and faster than some on the 6-7% grades. Our son has a Mountain Aire with 1650# of torque and there is very little difference going up to 11,000' west of Denver. There certainly is no disadvantage to having extra power, but I would not limit my search for a newer coach to one with 600 hp. Much larger selection when including the 450 hp group that will do everything needed.
While I agree that a Mh with the 450 hp will get you there, I've owned three, there is no comparison to the 600 hp isx with 1950 ft.lb. torque. It's the difference between a Ford crown Vic. and a mustang.
He's right too that no one needs a 600 hp Mh, but you could also apply that to any Mh. While you may not need the 600 hp it sure is fun to drive with the heavier chassis and Allison 4000 tranny. Jmho
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power