Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra, Tiffin, Newmar, Winnebago Tag Axle 2015 Models

Went and toured coaches at the Redmond FMCA rally yesterday, specifically looking for a tag axle diesel pusher to replace our 09 Phaeton. we arrived expecting to be blown away by the 15 Newmar Dutch Star but surprisingly that was not the case. Here's our observations:

Winnebago: just wasn't impressed with the comfort and workmanship of the Tour and a Grand Tour. The extra large pass through storage was interesting but required 2 bay doors be opened to access and one of the doors is really long, excessively extending into your patio area.

Newmar: the Dutch Star standard features seemed lacking compared to other brands. We understand Newmar will customize on a build but the number of things we would need to add out prices it from the competition. We left the Newmar section with the feeling that the company is focused more on their higher end coaches.

Tiffin: We were pleasantly surprised by how much we liked the 45ft Allegro Bus, nice floor plan and loved the "laundry room". Only dislikes were the kitchen sink (would prefer traditional stainless) and the inset induction cooktop (making using large pans prohibitive).

Entegra: very impressed with the quality of the build and all the extra features that come standard. Only dislike here was the non induction cooktop. the Anthem 44b really caught our eye but would like to look closely at a 42DEQ also.

All of the above had less than comfortable couches, especially the L shaped ones, sigh. Guess we'll research further then actually take a few out on test drives when we hit the Phoenix Good Sam rally in March!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Check here: www.americancoach.com

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #3

Induction vs Traditional Electric

Folks,

Our MotorHome had an induction cooktop.

Had it removed because it generated excessive heat under the countertop and would shutdown.

Unless you are willing to allow about 8" of space under the cooktop and additional ventilation to remove the heat, I would recommend the electric cooktop.

JohnnyB
Old 08-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #4

itgeekgal, I think you will have a hard time finding really comfortable furniture in many of the new coaches. Our 43' Allegro Bus came with Villa furniture. Nice looking, but the couch was the most uncomfortable to sit on for more than 10 minutes. We finally took it out and put it in our cottage spare room. It makes into a very comfortable air bed for guests. We found a residential flexsteel double recliner with a console that just fit into the motorhome. Now, we have trouble staying awake through an entire movie. Pick the floor plan you like and equip it with furniture that you like. I suspect the MH designers are more concerned with appearance and not comfort.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If the Entegra has the most of what you want, go for it. Changing out the cooktop for an induction model should not be a big deal, even if you do it on your own after buying. That's a pretty small bump on a $400k+ coach.

Comfort, styling, and features are pretty much in the eye of the beholder, so it's all guesswork on the part of the RV designer.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgeekgal View Post
All of the above had less than comfortable couches, especially the L shaped ones, sigh. Guess we'll research further then actually take a few out on test drives when we hit the Phoenix Good Sam rally in March!
We were there Thursday and Friday. I injured my Achilles' tendon and have boot on my left foot so I spent most of my time sitting in coaches when we were touring them. As far as L couches - I felt the Dutch Stars to be uncomfortable and just too darn small in to 4018. The L couch in the Anthem 44B was very comfortable. The recliners in the Dutch Star 4369 were wonderfully comfortable. My son found the sofa in front of the televator in that model to be comfy...but he is 12 so take that with a grain of salt.

Like you we were not overly impressed with the Winnebago. The overhead window in the Grand Tour was "neat" but that was about it.

I did like the Dutch Stars a lot as well as the Anthems. The Anthem 44B was my husbands favorite hands down, I would like to take a look at an Anthem 42DEQ. There was an Aspire there in that model but we only quickly walked thru it Thursday as I couldn't do much more on my bad foot. My favorite coach was the Dutch Star 4369. We spent a good hour or more talking to the Newmar guys in that one on Thursday.

I was looking forward to seeing both Tiffin and American Coach in person. We walked away from them lukewarm....nothing bad about them, just not the brand for us is all.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I have 2015 entregra aspire 43 ft with tag axle
seems to wander on road lot more than my American tradition ever did
you are steady fighting steering wheel .cant really tell if the whole motor home
is wandering or just moving steering steady.any ideas
thanks
Old 08-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I own a 14 Entegra Anthem 44B. Before that I owned an Aspire. My RV before that was a Monaco 12 years ago. I find the tag axle Entegra very nice to drive and more relaxing than my old Monaco (I admit it was not a tag). Before buying the Entegra we drove the Winnebago Tour 42 and the Newmar DutchStar 40 ft tag. While I liked the DutchStar that drove well, and was zippy (because it was 40ft), my DW didn't like the feel of the furniture and the lack of storage (it was 40ft vs 42ft). Both my DW and I enjoyed the layout of the Winnebago but we found it's quality and finishing less than the other two. I'm not bashing the other coaches, I'm just stating my opinions.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #9

We find Entegra is the one we like most, with Tiffin and Newmar a close second. Winny not in the same league.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTRL1995 View Post
you are steady fighting steering wheel .cant really tell if the whole motor home
thanks

Tire pressure makes a huge deal. Get the coach weighed at all 4 corners then adjust tire pressure to that weight using a weight pressure chart.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #11

Here is a link to tire pressures if you have Michelin tires....other makers have similar charts.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...ion-tables.jsp

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1408373503.333728.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	642.5 KB
ID:	71122
Old 08-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
We were there Thursday and Friday. I injured my Achilles' tendon and have boot on my left foot so I spent most of my time sitting in coaches when we were touring them. As far as L couches - I felt the Dutch Stars to be uncomfortable and just too darn small in to 4018. The L couch in the Anthem 44B was very comfortable. The recliners in the Dutch Star 4369 were wonderfully comfortable. My son found the sofa in front of the televator in that model to be comfy...but he is 12 so take that with a grain of salt.

Like you we were not overly impressed with the Winnebago. The overhead window in the Grand Tour was "neat" but that was about it.

I did like the Dutch Stars a lot as well as the Anthems. The Anthem 44B was my husbands favorite hands down, I would like to take a look at an Anthem 42DEQ. There was an Aspire there in that model but we only quickly walked thru it Thursday as I couldn't do much more on my bad foot. My favorite coach was the Dutch Star 4369. We spent a good hour or more talking to the Newmar guys in that one on Thursday.

I was looking forward to seeing both Tiffin and American Coach in person. We walked away from them lukewarm....nothing bad about them, just not the brand for us is all.
After sleeping on it & reviewing brochures we decided we'd really like to take a look at the 42DEQ also, it has an additional recliner, pantry & hutch that the 44B does not have.

And I do recall seeing you & your boot in multiple coaches! I was the one in the 42 Kyle Larson teeshirt
Old 08-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgeekgal View Post
After sleeping on it & reviewing brochures we decided we'd really like to take a look at the 42DEQ also, it has an additional recliner, pantry & hutch that the 44B does not have. And I do recall seeing you & your boot in multiple coaches! I was the one in the 42 Kyle Larson teeshirt
You seem to like the 42DEQ for the same reasons we found it appealing. My other added bonus, the location of the washer and dryer in that layout. In the 44B it is located right next to the back toilet. Like right next to it. That means when you pull out your clean clothes you have to pull them out just a few inches about the toilet. Now I keep thing pretty darn clean but that just grosses me out. Since the DEQ is not a bath and a half unit the toilet and washer do not end up near each other.

The pantry appears to be much smaller in the 42DEQ but I could see using the hutch on the wall by the tv as a pantry. I recall in a mod thread some people frosted the glass in the hutch. Seems like a smart idea to me!

Just looked and see you are from Las Vegas. Too funny, we are on vacation in Las Vegas this week. I swear we are not following you around the country. LOL
Old 08-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTRL1995 View Post
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Tire pressure makes a huge deal. Get the coach weighed at all 4 corners then adjust tire pressure to that weight using a weight pressure chart.
@CMTRL1995 - in addition to checking tire pressures, consider getting your ride height and alignment checked. Our 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire on a Spartan MM GT chassis handled (we thought) just fine... but when we had new tires put on we had an alignment done at the same time. WOW! Really tracks straight now!

Tags
newmar, tiffin, winnebago