Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
The Aspire and the Anthem both HAVE the 450 ISL engine. If you've got information that says otherwise it's wrong. Also it's NOT a new upgrade since our 2012 Aspire has it.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #16

Kathryn, I can guarantee you that I will know less about coaches than anyone on this forum. But, having been on this side of heaven for 65 yrs. I have learned that something of this nature requires a company that stands behind it's product. I have no knowledge of Newmar, but my experience with Entegra has been the most pleasant that I have had with a company in a long time. I had the pleasure on meeting and visiting with Wilbur Bontrager (one of the brothers that own Jayco) and after that visit and all of the exposure that comes with ordering a coach and dealing with the folks at the factory, I can tell you that you won't find anyone that will take better care of you. When I started looking I scoured all of the forums trying to find someone that had a poor experience with Entegra---never found one!!! For someone like myself with such limited exposure to this lifestyle and not being "an engineer type" ( I am really envious of some of these guys that can fix anything) I knew that I was going to need all the help I could get---they have exceeded my expectations. I bought a company as much as I bought a coach, and it has been a good decision.

Best of luck to you ---- the way you are going about this, I am sure you will make the decision that will work best for you.

Blessings
iquailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #17

The custom changes to our floor plan and local dealer were the things that sent us to Newmar.

As far as how we've be treated: We were looking at custom layout of a Dutch Star, so we went to the factory. You would of thought we were buying a fleet of King Airs. They were actually upset with us for not letting them know who we were earlier, we waited till the tour was done.

We were so impressed we ordered the next day.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy02 View Post
My Aspire has a 450 ISL engine and does not have IFS. To my knowledge ALL 2012 Aspires come with the 450 Cummins...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
I found out yesterday that they got a deal on some IFS chassis so put them under Aspires. I forget the exact number but I believe it was 24 or so. It's a temporary situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
yep, some Aspires with IFS, BUT if you want one , best get with the program soon. The deal, as explained to me at least, they went to the 16,400 front axle with 315s on the Anthem because of weight problems and are using the left over 14,6oo with 295s and IFS on Aspires and is limited to what they have in stock...
My bad!

I was under the impression that this limited number of chassis were the ones with the 450 ISL engines. Not sure if or when it was changed, but the Entegra website is showing the 2013 Aspire standard with the 450 engine. Other than the customization available with Newmar, it was the engine that was the big deal breaker/maker for me. So we're back to a pretty even field!!! LOL!

Can't wait til I'm a little closer to my purchase date and can actually get out there and test drive both! Just doing all my research beforehand, cause I know when I actually get IN the units, I'll fall in love with one, and that will be all she wrote ...

Thx for all the input - yes, I'm taking notes!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #19

Does the Entegra have Comfort Control Steering?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Does the Entegra have Comfort Control Steering?
No! That is a BIG plus for the Newmar!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #21

Guess I do not understand what makes comfort control such a big deal. I have driven both Newmar and Entegra and the ride and handling of both are absolutely top notch. I really think it is more marketing than fact. All just my opinion.

Newmar certainly gets the edge in the custom changes department. They will do a lot to get you the configuration you want.

AGAIN, bottom line, two great coaches, two great companies and a great example of why they make vanilla, strawberry and chocolate ice cream, we have different tastes and priorities.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Guess I do not understand what makes comfort control such a big deal. I have driven both Newmar and Entegra and the ride and handling of both are absolutely top notch. I really think it is more marketing than fact. All just my opinion...........
Literally everybody I've ever talked to about their Newmar coach with Comfort Drive, which is a TRW enginered chassis add-on, says they will never go back to a chassis without it. Recently, a close friend bought his first Newmar DS after becoming frustrated with his 3rd Country Coach (DynoMax chassis). He says the Comfort Drive makes a huge difference, especially when driving long distances, and he loves it.

Given the Entegra approach of continous improvements being made to an already fine coach / chassis combo, I would not be surprised to see them offer the TRW system, perhaps as an option, since Spartan already has experience with adding the system to their products. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #23

Edgray,

What does the TRW setup do, or how does it work?
MSMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMatt View Post
Edgray,

What does the TRW setup do, or how does it work?

Here is a link with a video.

Newmar Comfort Drive Steering | Newmar Corporation

It learns how your driving and changes the power steering. (that's the in a nutshell version)
Old 07-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #25

A quick look at Newmar gives me the impression that the Newmars are more expensive than a comparable Entegra. When I look at the Ventana, it is comparable to my Berkshire which is entry level. The Dutch Star when equipped comparable to the Aspire seems to me to be more expensive than the Entegra. Am I missing something here?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If there is any questions about Newmar I can offer this link for your answers.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
A quick look at Newmar gives me the impression that the Newmars are more expensive than a comparable Entegra. When I look at the Ventana, it is comparable to my Berkshire which is entry level. The Dutch Star when equipped comparable to the Aspire seems to me to be more expensive than the Entegra. Am I missing something here?
Don't just compare entry level model to entry level model.

We put together a list (very detailed) of what we wanted, then went shopping. Spent the last couple of years, nobody seemed to have it. Most got close, but nobody had "it".

We knew that we where stuck ordering or settling for close. Always thought ordering was out of our price range. Then we dug deeper in and Newmar came out on top for us.

Our Dutch Star does MSRP for more then an Aspire, but I can't get the Aspire in all electric and sideways living room.

When you shop by options the whole field changes. Pick yours.

I for one am glad the Entegra buyers are getting exactly what they want, that way they stay in business. Plus I hope to park next to one and get a true side by side look.

We're to young for this to be our last coach, next time might come out different.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #28

John, I wasn't knocking Newmar at all. My comment was based on the OP's comment that the Newmars were less than a comparable Entegra and they don't appear to be less, but rather more. At least that is the conclusion I would draw from checking some of the various Newmar dealers' websites.

We like everything we have seen about the Entegra, but I wanted to keep an open mind and see what Newmar had to offer. I also realize that Newmar is a very high quality unit and their ability and desire to customize a unit to suit a buyer is very impressive. One of the knocks that I would give Entegra is the limited floorplans available. We quite often travel with our twin daughters and sometimes my wife's parents as well as our twins. The only Entegra that we can see working for our current travel needs is the Anthem 44SL.

We will look more closely at Newmar to see if they may have something that may also hit our needs.

Tags
newmar