Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In our old RV club there were only 12 MH's, one Prevost and 6 Newmars. My parents had a Foretravel. When we went looking for our "retirement" RV we knew it would be a good quality unit. We ordered the 2000 DSDP, and had custom work done at the factory. Wife really wanted a triple slide unit but Newmar said they would neverf make one. By the time ours was on the assembly line they had produced six triple slide units. By then the only way we could change was to buy a new unit, so we did on 2002.
Since then I've been watching the competition build. I've got to admit it's gettng pretty stiff out there, but Newmar, with their willingness to customize and proven quality would probably win us back.
Now, if I wanted a "cookie cutter" rig it might be different. In fact if you took off the emblems everywhere and led a blindfolded person into an Entegra or Newmar of the same line matchup it would be pretty hard to distinguish them from each other. Although I'm sure some of us would pick up the subileties of construction.

As at least one other said: what gauls me is that Entegra is claiming something as exclusive to their line or an exclusive construction method or technique is exclusive to them when Newmar invented it or had it first. Like the salesman I ran into at the Phoenix Good Sam Rally that claimed hung wall was exclusive to Entegra, then refused to speak to me after I pointed out he was wrong. Nothing wrong with playing up the strong points, just shouldn't be wrong when they do.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
John, I wasn't knocking Newmar at all. My comment was based on the OP's comment that the Newmars were less than a comparable Entegra and they don't appear to be less, but rather more. At least that is the conclusion I would draw from checking some of the various Newmar dealers' websites.

We like everything we have seen about the Entegra, but I wanted to keep an open mind and see what Newmar had to offer. I also realize that Newmar is a very high quality unit and their ability and desire to customize a unit to suit a buyer is very impressive. One of the knocks that I would give Entegra is the limited floorplans available. We quite often travel with our twin daughters and sometimes my wife's parents as well as our twins. The only Entegra that we can see working for our current travel needs is the Anthem 44SL.

We will look more closely at Newmar to see if they may have something that may also hit our needs.
I did say that. After you (or someone) questioned that earlier, I did go back to check prices. I based that on the website listed "starting at ..." MSRP for the Dutch Star and the Aspire, plus about $25-30K for "options" on the DS. In looking again, I realized I did not consider the fact that DS offerred 38' and 40' units, and for a true "apples to apples" comparison, I needed to price a 43' DS, since Aspire start unit is 43'.

I will go back and research that, although I will say I am willing to pay more for a customized coach.

This has been a GREAT discussion! Shows how truly close these two excellent coaches are! Anyone would get an great coach that will give them many years of good service, no matter which unit they chose.

Now we just need to get them to offer IFS, and for Entegra to get their lead time down from 9 months (or more!) and we would have the perfect unit and pretty close to an even match! (Hey, you don't ask, you don't get! )

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Guess I do not understand what makes comfort control such a big deal. I have driven both Newmar and Entegra and the ride and handling of both are absolutely top notch. I really think it is more marketing than fact. All just my opinion.

Newmar certainly gets the edge in the custom changes department. They will do a lot to get you the configuration you want.

AGAIN, bottom line, two great coaches, two great companies and a great example of why they make vanilla, strawberry and chocolate ice cream, we have different tastes and priorities.
Here are several more short videos explaining the Comfort Drive. These are about 2 mins long.

Newmar Comfort Drive | Pull Compensation Video
Newmar Comfort Drive | Making Turns Video
Newmar Comfort Drive | Lane Placement Video
Newmar Comfort Drive | Backing Up Video

Kathryn

Old 09-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
My experience

We are actively seeking a new motorhome just like many here. I don't mean to start a flame war but present a few observations of an active buyer.

Two weeks ago we went to the Dallas Super RV Show with the full intention to purchase a Newmar. As I got into the driver's seat of the KingAire on display, I cracked the top of my head open on the overhead compartment. That put the purchase of a Newmar in great doubt for me. I wouldn't put up with that when flying my Beech King Air for the these past many years and I sure won't have it in a motor home! When we asked the salesman about it he just discounted it.

We didn't find the comfort steering system videos persuasive at all. We don't intend to be driving a 1,000 miles in a day in our retirement nor in heavy crosswinds. Is this type of system offered in 18-wheel trucks to reduce driver fatigue? If the system were so great you would think it would be in every model of truck and motor home to increase safety. Certainly that would be to the financial benefit of the Newmar owners.

Later, we found the Entegra Anthem to have all the options and floorplans that we wanted without the headroom issue. That is the direction that we're now headed in our purchase decision.
ereeseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #33
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
You need to drive a motorhome with Comfort Drive to appreciate it.

You will be amazed at the difference it makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereeseas View Post

We didn't find the comfort steering system videos persuasive at all. We don't intend to be driving a 1,000 miles in a day in our retirement nor in heavy crosswinds. Is this type of system offered in 18-wheel trucks to reduce driver fatigue? If the system were so great you would think it would be in every model of truck and motor home to increase safety. Certainly that would be to the financial benefit of the Newmar owners.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereeseas View Post
We are actively seeking a new motorhome just like many here. I don't mean to start a flame war but present a few observations of an active buyer.

Two weeks ago we went to the Dallas Super RV Show with the full intention to purchase a Newmar. As I got into the driver's seat of the KingAire on display, I cracked the top of my head open on the overhead compartment. That put the purchase of a Newmar in great doubt for me. I wouldn't put up with that when flying my Beech King Air for the these past many years and I sure won't have it in a motor home! When we asked the salesman about it he just discounted it.

Later, we found the Entegra Anthem to have all the options and floorplans that we wanted without the headroom issue. That is the direction that we're now headed in our purchase decision.
I cracked my head numerous times getting into my 737-MD-80-DC-9-DC-8-Airbus 330 series aircraft and I still bought Newmar Kounty Star. I bump my head in it every so often. Still a great motorhome with a good reputation. Give that comfort drive a ride before you make a $$$$$$mistake.
Seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #35
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In fact if you took off the emblems everywhere and led a blindfolded person into an Entegra or Newmar of the same line matchup it would be pretty hard to distinguish them from each other. Although I'm sure some of us would pick up the subileties of construction.

So very true MrD

In fact the wife and me toured more than one RV and were shocked at the "sameness" that was evident except for the subtleties which really did not matter for us

granite instead of Corian ( which I really rather have )

we took polished tile for the easy clean up when in sandy areas which it seems we always are , although a good linoleum would have suited us better.

I'd like to see LED lights installed instead of having to switch over , stuff like this is absent from line ups we looked at in our year model.
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi,
I' have a question for those of you who have an Anthem all electric coach. If you dry camp and have to run the furnace all night do your batteries run out before morning?
I'm just concerned that with the residential refridgerator and the aqua hot heating system
I might not be able to dry camp. I often like to go without plugging in.
tamaridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #37
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Most all electric coaches have auto-generator start when the batteries get low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaridge View Post
Hi,
I' have a question for those of you who have an Anthem all electric coach. If you dry camp and have to run the furnace all night do your batteries run out before morning?
I'm just concerned that with the residential refridgerator and the aqua hot heating system
I might not be able to dry camp. I often like to go without plugging in.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #38

Update?

I understand this is an old thread, but I'm asking not DESPITE, but rather BECAUSE of the passage of time: to see if any have experiences that might shed new light on this debate. I'll throw in my thoughts:

1. I'm very intrigued by the positive reviews of Entegra's quality control, since I know QC and early repairs are a frequent issue with many RVs.
2. IMHO Newmar's exteriors look better than Entegra's (a matter of taste)
3. Being a control freak, I lean toward Newmar's customizability

Questions:

1. I'd love to have IFS AND Comfort Drive, but if you had to choose, which makes a bigger difference, IFS or Comfort Drive? Or CAN we have both now with either Newmar or Entegra?
2. Any more opinions on price vs. quality advantages of one versus another? Has Newmar made any changes in pricing as a result of competitive pressure from Entegra?

Thanks in advance!

David
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Entegra might be cheaper to purchase but they will NOT customize at all from what I've seen here. One person wanted Entegra to delete the dishwasher and was refused. When we ordered our DSDP we had them remove two walls and two doors, substitute a different vanity and counter tops from a Mountain Aire. Then one thing I asked for was Hydro Hot in the DSDP and that was refused. All in all we came close to $40,000 in options/changes in 2002 $$.
I've also talked to Entegra sales people at rally and they tried to tell me things that I knew were not true about Entegra, but I suppose you might find some that would do the same with Newmar.
We're looking at Newmars again.
Newmar has both IFS and Comfort Drive.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #40

Quote:
Entegra might be cheaper to purchase but they will NOT customize at all from what I've seen here. One person wanted Entegra to delete the dishwasher and was refused. When we ordered our DSDP we had them remove two walls and two doors, substitute a different vanity and counter tops from a Mountain Aire. Then one thing I asked for was Hydro Hot in the DSDP and that was refused. All in all we came close to $40,000 in options/changes in 2002 $$.
I've also talked to Entegra sales people at rally and they tried to tell me things that I knew were not true about Entegra, but I suppose you might find some that would do the same with Newmar.
Mr_D, thank you SO much! Very useful info. Maybe it was my mistake in assuming it, but I inferred from Entegra's site (though it doesn't outright state) that their Anthem and Cornerstone are the only coaches with IFS.

What do you think about Spartan vs. Freightliner chassis?
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #41

Quote:
Today's newmar would not touch that level of changes. I was ready to order a 14 DSDP and they wouldn't do anything to accommodate my needs (much less than what you did). Further, all they said was "no" and made no effort to suggest anything to help or accommodate me. I think they will change a few colors and maybe swap cabinets, but that is about it. My dealer was so frustrated as he lost a sale and had no options.

Very frustrating.
Nubulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #42

I don't know why, but Newmar does not say IFS for the DS either standard or as an option anywhere on there old site or the new, and not in their brochures. I have, however, been told by many current owners that they have IFS, even from several years ago. Makes me nervous not having it in writing, but ours is not to reason why ....

I have been watching Newmar and Entegra closely for about a year, definitely liking Newmar DS, and was waiting to see the 2014 changes. While Entegra seems much the same, I must say Newmar came out with some outstanding updates this year, IMO making the DS very nearly equal to the Mountain Aire!

Kathryn

~~~

Tags
newmar