Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #1

Entry Door Latch Broke in Thor Hurricane

Hi All,
My Entry Door in my Thor Hurricane Class A broke and locked me in.
I've done my homework and see that this is an ongoing problem.
Trying to find where I can purchase the Plunger Part that broke off but it seems that I have to purchase the total replacement door kit.
If anyone has found a place to purchase just the plunger part, can you let me know where you purchased it? If not, does anyone know the most affordable place to purchase a replacement door kit?
Thanks so much!!
MissAdventur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAdventur View Post
Hi All,
My Entry Door in my Thor Hurricane Class A broke and locked me in.
I've done my homework and see that this is an ongoing problem.
Trying to find where I can purchase the Plunger Part that broke off but it seems that I have to purchase the total replacement door kit.
If anyone has found a place to purchase just the plunger part, can you let me know where you purchased it? If not, does anyone know the most affordable place to purchase a replacement door kit?
Thanks so much!!
From what I understand from other Thor posters you just give Thor a call and they will send you any part you ever need free of charge and you will also get detailed easy to follow instructions.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #3

I don’t have the information anymore as it was a couple of years ago, but there is someone on the internet that was home fabricating parts from stainless. Guess I can only suggest a thorough search. He just didn’t have the particular part I needed so I discarded the website.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #4

Hello again! Can you give us the make and model of the lock set ...e.g. TriMark, dimensions, and/or part/model number, etc.? A photo of lock and the plunger you refer to would also help if you can. And what is the model year of your Thor Hurricane? ...it's not still under warranty, correct?

If you do end up needing to replace the lockset, RVupgrades.com carries a variety of makes --Bauer, TriMark, Global Link, Fastec, etc. They are a forum sponsor and the best RV parts/accessories vendor that we've used on the internet through the years ...excellent customer service, competitive prices, and fast shipping. (The owner is founder of the iRV2 forums)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:00 AM   #5

Thanks to everyone. Tried calling Thor on Friday early afternoon, gone for the day. I’ll try again Monday per your suggestions. Here is a picture of the part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E88F1635-D019-437D-9811-E26C3D09B992.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	263360   Click image for larger version

Name:	62BC0653-63A8-42FC-9DE4-74E065E23F19.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	263361  

Name:	F82CB29B-D62A-477B-BE29-3557C59C3F3E.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	263362  
Old 10-12-2019, 06:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Hello again! Can you give us the make and model of the lock set ...e.g. TriMark, dimensions, and/or part/model number, etc.? A photo of lock and the plunger you refer to would also help if you can. And what is the model year of your Thor Hurricane? ...it's not still under warranty, correct?

If you do end up needing to replace the lockset, RVupgrades.com carries a variety of makes --Bauer, TriMark, Global Link, Fastec, etc. They are a forum sponsor and the best RV parts/accessories vendor that we've used on the internet through the years ...excellent customer service, competitive prices, and fast shipping. (The owner is founder of the iRV2 forums)
I can’t find the make and model of the Lockset. I did post a picture of the lock set and the plunger part front and back below. My motorhome is a Thor Hurricane 2013 32A
Old 10-12-2019, 07:22 AM   #7

Bought ours from Benchmark (the whole lockset outside part).
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #8

I'm thinking that Thor will not have the specific part to that door lock. I'm almost certain they will tell you to purchase an entire lock set if it's determined that the mechanism is "un-fixable" and since you're not under Thor warranty, they'll either want to sell you the lock set at a premium price or more likely, will give you a vendor name to purchase one from.

You lock appears to me to be a TriMark ...I'll go out on a limb and guess it's a 060 -1626/1650

TriMark 060-1625 / 060-1650 Motor Home Entrance Door Hardware

Brochure for TriMark 060-1625 / 060-1650 Motor Home Entrance Door Hardware with specifications (PDF)

Since your coach is not under warranty, I would think a better bet would be to call TriMark and describe to them your problem. Once you describe your lock (since you don't see a model number), they can probably confirm or deny that it's a 060 -1626/1650

If you read what they say on their product page for that lock, notice how it says they've upgraded the plunger to steel for better security and longer life.

They may have the part you need or can tell you how to fix it. If not, again, they may be able to sell you the complete lock set or refer you to a vendor. Actually, I just looked at Amazon and they evidently are selling through Amazon and it's $97 ...so if you do talk to TriMark and they want to sell you one directly, be sure it's $97 or less.

TriMark 601650 Door Handle, Black - through Amazon

TriMark phone number: 800-447-0343

TriMark FAQ
Old 10-12-2019, 11:37 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm thinking that Thor will not have the specific part to that door lock. I'm almost certain they will tell you to purchase an entire lock set if it's determined that the mechanism is "un-fixable" and since you're not under Thor warranty, they'll either want to sell you the lock set at a premium price or more likely, will give you a vendor name to purchase one from.

You lock appears to me to be a TriMark ...I'll go out on a limb and guess it's a 060 -1626/1650

TriMark 060-1625 / 060-1650 Motor Home Entrance Door Hardware

Brochure for TriMark 060-1625 / 060-1650 Motor Home Entrance Door Hardware with specifications (PDF)

Since your coach is not under warranty, I would think a better bet would be to call TriMark and describe to them your problem. Once you describe your lock (since you don't see a model number), they can probably confirm or deny that it's a 060 -1626/1650

If you read what they say on their product page for that lock, notice how it says they've upgraded the plunger to steel for better security and longer life.

They may have the part you need or can tell you how to fix it. If not, again, they may be able to sell you the complete lock set or refer you to a vendor. Actually, I just looked at Amazon and they evidently are selling through Amazon and it's $97 ...so if you do talk to TriMark and they want to sell you one directly, be sure it's $97 or less.

TriMark 601650 Door Handle, Black - through Amazon

TriMark phone number: 800-447-0343

TriMark FAQ
Wowee Theroc. Many thanks to you for your information packed reply. I will follow your guidance first thing Monday morning. I hope when you need help someone as competent and giving will be there for you!
Old 10-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #10

Oh, you're too kind. Thank you. No, I'm just expressing an opinion and as members here know, more than 1/2 the time I'm wrong or my advice is inaccurate. But most of those giving advice here are usually not accurate 100% of the time. Some come close, however, but I'm not one of them. That's the nature of a forum or message board such as this one, you have a lot of people giving advice and you have to sift through the minutia and come up with your own decision as to how to proceed with whatever it is you're seeking advice about.

I no longer am RVing so am not asking for help anymore but, for sure, I've received a lot of good advice in the past on this forum. What I'm attempting to do is to pay-it-back by attempting to give my feedback --whether I'm right or wrong-- to others now because I received so much good advice in the past from a lot of kind people on this forum.

Pertaining to your situation, I'm just kind of going by what others have posted in the past on this and other forums or what I've read on the web as well as talking to other RVers about the door lock problems ...my experience too with door locks on RVs.

If you read the comments in the review section of that Amazon link, you'll see that others have had almost the identical problem as you pertaining to the door lock problem.

Evidently TriMark was suppose to replace the pot metal and/or plastic (?) plungers with steel ...??? However, it appears that they still had stock in the old product that hadn't yet been upgraded so those purchasing the lock set up until about a year ago, may have received the old un-upgraded product. Or that's what I'm gathering by reading the comments on Amazon and other places.

So, when you do talk with TriMark, that may be a good place to start. First, ask if they can supply you with an upgraded plunger made of steel so you can fix your lock.

If they can't, then ask them if when buying a new lock set directly from them that it will now have the up-graded plunger.

Good luck with it! ...and let us know what happens.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Oh, you're too kind. Thank you. No, I'm just expressing an opinion and as members here know, more than 1/2 the time I'm wrong or my advice is inaccurate. But most of those giving advice here are usually not accurate 100% of the time. Some come close, however, but I'm not one of them. That's the nature of a forum or message board such as this one, you have a lot of people giving advice and you have to sift through the minutia and come up with your own decision as to how to proceed with whatever it is you're seeking advice about.

I no longer am RVing so am not asking for help anymore but, for sure, I've received a lot of good advice in the past on this forum. What I'm attempting to do is to pay-it-back by attempting to give my feedback --whether I'm right or wrong-- to others now because I received so much good advice in the past from a lot of kind people on this forum.

Pertaining to your situation, I'm just kind of going by what others have posted in the past on this and other forums or what I've read on the web as well as talking to other RVers about the door lock problems ...my experience too with door locks on RVs.

If you read the comments in the review section of that Amazon link, you'll see that others have had almost the identical problem as you pertaining to the door lock problem.

Evidently TriMark was suppose to replace the pot metal and/or plastic (?) plungers with steel ...??? However, it appears that they still had stock in the old product that hadn't yet been upgraded so those purchasing the lock set up until about a year ago, may have received the old un-upgraded product. Or that's what I'm gathering by reading the comments on Amazon and other places.

So, when you do talk with TriMark, that may be a good place to start. First, ask if they can supply you with an upgraded plunger made of steel so you can fix your lock.

If they can't, then ask them if when buying a new lock set directly from them that it will now have the up-graded plunger.

Good luck with it! ...and let us know what happens.
Theroc,
So - I spoke with Trimark. They told me that I only need to order the exterior part of the door which is Part # 29412-13. For about $149. This has the newer steel plunger part I believe. Then I asked if I want to order the interior part #31073-05 how much. They said about $49. Then I went on your Amazon link where someone is selling the Trimark Door Handle #601650 for $97. I called Trimark back and they said that is a 3rd party selling on Amazon. Here's where I remain confused. It's with the definitions. Door Handle vs. exterior vs interior. It seems that if I order Trimark's exterior door part, I better know how to install it to my old interior door part. Or if what's advertised on Amazon is the entire new door latch I would much prefer paying $97 and installing a brand new latch. Your thoughts? p.s. It was like pulling teeth to get any info out of the person at Trimark. Can't wait to hear your opinion. p.s. I asked a question to the seller on Amazon and here is the reply from a fellow customer:

A fellow customer answered your question,
"Is this the entire home entrance door kit? Does it come with both sides for me to install it? Or is it only the exterior side. Thank you."

Amazon Customer answered:
"The entrance door is the entire door kit including everything you need to install including the side plate that goes on the door jam. You are totally good to go."
Old 10-14-2019, 05:50 PM   #12

From what I can tell, yes, the product on Amazon is the entire lock set ...both pieces or part numbers.

I was initially wrong when giving you the Amazon link and saying that it was actually Trimark selling it through Amazon. You're right, it was a third party (RV and Auto Parts storefront). That explains why TriMark's prices were so much higher ...I initially thought it was TriMark selling it through Amazon. My apologies.

If you delve into it further, you'll see that Amazon itself sells it for $100. I might be tempted to order it directly from Amazon and if it isn't to your satisfaction --i.e. if it doesn't have a steel plunger, etc.-- it's easy to send it back for a refund as it's coming from Amazon and they're pretty good about exchanges and refunds.

Go to the Amazon link again ...HERE and tap/click on " New (6) from $97.00 & FREE shipping"

You'll then see five other vendors selling it. The second one is Amazon itself for $100

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Amazon.com  TriMark 601650 Door Handle  Black  Automotive.png
Views:	67
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	263613  
Old 10-15-2019, 06:03 AM   #13

[QUOTE= They told me that I only need to order the exterior part of the door which is Part # 29412-13. It seems that if I order Trimark's exterior door part, I better know how to install it to my old interior door part. "[/QUOTE]

I also needed only the exterior part. I bought it from Trimark (probably paid too much). It was not hard at all to put on and attach to old inside part. The exterior part is what contained the latch that had broken.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
I also needed only the exterior part. I bought it from Trimark (probably paid too much). It was not hard at all to put on and attach to old inside part. The exterior part is what contained the latch that had broken.
Shell,
Wonderful. Thanks so much. It's so important to get accurate info in these circumstances. Really appreciate it!

Tags
door, entry door, hurricane, thor