Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
I been looking at the 2016 Thor 30.1 from mhsrv.com and it comes with one a/c unit but they also have a 2016 Coachman 31bdp with 50amp dual a/c units. Both are on same ford chassis with similar floorplans. I still have to do a lot more shopping.

ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #16

So look up Thor on the forums here and you'll get a full range of opinions from "I hate 'em with their stinking Schwintek slides" to "love Thor and their commitment to customers". My only comment is (assuming you're planning on doing a lot of Texas camping where its hot) is go with 2 ACs. My Excursion was a 35' and the two ACs barely kept up with the heat here in florida. Less expensive MHs probably are not as insulated as well as they could be. Combine that with one AC and you may have trouble keeping the coach at a livable temperature in the hot months. Not to mention that 2 ACs give you a back up in case one goes kaput on you.

My new rig has 3. I'm sure glad the previous owner splurged for the extra one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith View Post
I been looking at the 2016 Thor 30.1 from mhsrv.com and it comes with one a/c unit but they also have a 2016 Coachman 31bdp with 50amp dual a/c units. Both are on same ford chassis with similar floorplans. I still have to do a lot more shopping.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #17

Love ours. 34ft, pulls 5000lb, king bed, bed slide, full wall slide (hydraulic---makes a big difference in reliability), easily maintained, enough tank capacity for 2 for a week or more.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
You need to go to an rv show and see what you would be comfortable in and then shop around for that model a couple yrs old with low mileage. Low mileage in a gasser would be 10-20,000 mi for two yr old. If you are going to spend 6 mo at a time in it, that's really living in it half the time so comfort features like insulation, double pane windows, 2 air cons, generator size, size of battery bank, holding tanks and storage capacity become important. What works for a weekend camper is very different from a live in coach. My first coach was a 30ft Thor Hurricane, 8.1 gas Workhorse Chevy Vortec, no slide, 30amp, one air con, 4000 wat gen and fake wood cabinets. It was a total "entry level" coach but served us flawlessly for 13 yrs and 33,000 mi. After 3 ysr full time it got really small inside and we "upgraded" to a 14 yr old, low mileage Monaco Dynasty with all the bells and whistles. Bought new the first time and older the second time. WE are way happier the second time.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Entry level to me means less stuff/options. For example, smaller eng/trans combo, smaller generator, smaller tanks (fuel, water, grey, black), no ultra leather interior, not real wood, no built in surge guard or sophisticated electrical panel, fewer coach batteries, no gel or AGM batteries, no side radiator, no Aqua Hot, and similar items.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Entry level vs. premium coach. Entry level suggests lower price, less equipment (inverter, solar panels, etc.) cheap cabinets (not solid wood, pressboard), thin walls, etc.

Premium suggests better finish, real wood, better construction.

We own a 2003 Monaco Safari Trek. It is a 29 foot coach with the living space of a 38 ft. coach because we don't have a bedroom. Bed comes down from the ceiling for use at night. Why tow 9 ft of bedroom that we only use at night. Plus, we get a very large bathroom. Trek is a premium, short coach. Manufactured between 1991 and 2008.

Most of the units under 34 ft. are cheap junk compared to a premium coach like our Trek.

We like state parks, USFS and COE and boondocking. Our Trek is perfect. All the amenities plus quality construction. If you can live with the bed, you will love a Trek.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #21

Quote:
I have a 2016 30.2 that I'm trading in for a tiffen allegro (due to too many qc issues relating to safety). What I would tell you about the single ac unit is that it is very loud in the living area, and hard to keep even Temps in both bedroom and living area.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #22

A common phrase some manufactures are starting to use is Crossover. I'ld say one big difference is the wheel size some are 19.5 some are 22.5. In my experience the 22.5 drives a lot better than the 19.5. Our first coach was an FR3. it was pretty trouble free and got a lot of compliments. We traded because of floor plan issues mostly. Things to look at that make a difference. generator size, refrigerator size(single vs double door), number of a/c units ( over 30ft really need 2), bed size some are 80" long some are not, 30 amp or 50 amp. For getting into RVing the FR3 was a great choice. we had the 30DS it was pretty trouble free and cost less thsn 80K new. With the gas RVs the only real difference is that the 2016 chassis has a 6 speed transmission and it is a substantial improvement. All the Ford chassis gas RV's use the same engine and transmission otherwise.
Another thing to look at is the dealer. Some are very good some not so much, that can have a big impact on your experience.
RV's are built to a price point how they are built and the level of accessories reflect this too. I personally don't care if my coach has full body paint or is gel coat with decals but that difference alone can cost 10K. Good luck with whatever you deceide.
Ksmith
FWIW The Bounder 35K I just traded in that is still under the Fleetwood warranty until the end of march is for sale at a dealer in KY for less than 100K. Has about 4000 miles and was perfect when we traded it.
z3406 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #23

FWIW from what I can tell there is little difference in the chassis. Newer gas will all be on some form of the Ford F-53 chassis with the same 3 valve v-10 and transmission for the year it was built. The one game that is played is that there are several weight ratings on the chassis so one way to shave cost on a 30 ft MH is to use the lighter rated chassis probably with a shorter wheel base.

Once a chassis is set then comes the house. There the trim level becomes the issue. Do you get formica, corian or granite? Personally I find granite obscene, corian acceptable and formica perfectly fine for a rolling camping cabin.

Then one gets into the wiring system with everything from switches as part of the light fixture to control bus operated electricals with everything running off an Ipad or whatever. Bear in mind that the more options that are there the higher the failure potential and the higher the cost of repair. Again, I like KISS. YMMV. What does count is the quality of the Converter, size of the battery bank, and whether or not the engine battery is maintained when on shore power.

If you are looking at a residential refrigerator and want to boon dock in a 30ish ft unit batteries will be an issue. Make sure you have room for more than 2. My answer is that I prefer propane. It works well enough and does not need the extra batteries or solar.

The 30/50 Amp issue and the number of A/C's seem to be tied together. It takes 50 A to run 2 A/C's and stuff. Depending on where you are planning on going and when that may or may not be an issue. That will also be part of the generator offering.

All that and more will set the price point but those are some of the heavy hitters.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #24

Entry level

To me I would rather buy a gently used higher line motorhome than a new entry level model. Too many low quality things on entery level.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW from what I can tell there is little difference in the chassis. Newer gas will all be on some form of the Ford F-53 chassis with the same 3 valve v-10 and transmission for the year it was built. The one game that is played is that there are several weight ratings on the chassis so one way to shave cost on a 30 ft MH is to use the lighter rated chassis probably with a shorter wheel base.

Once a chassis is set then comes the house. There the trim level becomes the issue. Do you get formica, corian or granite? Personally I find granite obscene, corian acceptable and formica perfectly fine for a rolling camping cabin.

Then one gets into the wiring system with everything from switches as part of the light fixture to control bus operated electricals with everything running off an Ipad or whatever. Bear in mind that the more options that are there the higher the failure potential and the higher the cost of repair. Again, I like KISS. YMMV. What does count is the quality of the Converter, size of the battery bank, and whether or not the engine battery is maintained when on shore power.

If you are looking at a residential refrigerator and want to boon dock in a 30ish ft unit batteries will be an issue. Make sure you have room for more than 2. My answer is that I prefer propane. It works well enough and does not need the extra batteries or solar.

The 30/50 Amp issue and the number of A/C's seem to be tied together. It takes 50 A to run 2 A/C's and stuff. Depending on where you are planning on going and when that may or may not be an issue. That will also be part of the generator offering.

All that and more will set the price point but those are some of the heavy hitters.
These are all very good points.The one thing I would add is look
at the manufacture.How much quality goes into construction.My coach
is entry level for sure,but is very well insulated because of thicker
walls floors, and ceiling.My one ac dose fine even in south Fl.heat.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
To me I would rather buy a gently used higher line motorhome than a new entry level model. Too many low quality things on entery level.
Same here. Plus you won't take the depreciation hit or have to work out all the new rig bugs.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #27

Quote:
Looks like a really nice one for sale here in the classified section. Itasca 2015 31'er.

In FL. too.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Regarding Entry Level. As a recent newbie and after researching for about 6 months and combing this forum for ideas and experience. We found a nicely appointed gently used 2015 (6k miles) Fleetwood Bounder 33C. We loved the layout and that it has been through its trials and tribulations out of the factory already. It is now 6 months old to us and we absolutely love it. Other than an issue from the dealer with the generator (under warranty) no issues! We spent a little more than we wanted 104K but well worth it as we debated between an older "luxury" bigger diesel model and a newer gasser. The FW Bounder 33C is big enough for two people on extended trips as we have not been able to fill the basement and the inside storage and we have all in it that we would ever need!
4 TV's, Dish, Residential Refrig, W/D, Fireplace, King Bed, Front Trac Bar f53 chassis with Ford V10. Plenty of ooomph and drives great. Worth a look for anyone to get into a reasonably priced newer RV.

Tags
class a