Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #1

Entry stairs retraction is intermittent

My entry stairs very ofter won't open or retract all the way when opening or closing entry door. The coach closes the stairs when the engine is on but most times not all the way. I have to close the door, turn the manual stair switch on and off, a couple of times, to fully retract the stairs. I then leave the door switch in the off position and open the door to see if the stairs have fully retracted. Most often that will fully retract them. Followed by turning the switch back on so they can open most often won't allow it. I can get the stair to fully open when I open and close the door a few times and turn the door switch on and of. No consistent pattern. Sometimes it actually works correctly. The RV shop re-ran the power line cause they felt it likely had a split in it, but this correctly the issue for a short period (weeks). When I spray silicone all over the gears it may correct the problem for a short period of time as well. Why, I have no idea. Does any one have ideas that I can look into. Thank you in advance. 10 years RV'en but only started fixen recently. I can't stand repair shops that are dumber then me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #2

If yours is the KwiKee step assembly, your primary teflon drive gear may be stripped and require replacement of the gear box assembly. Had a similar problem with mine so replaced the entire gear housing assembly as well as the motor. Cost if I recall was around $175 or so.

Good luck getting it fixed and let us know the outcome..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
First check for bad ground. Suggest you redo the ground connection to insure it is a good connection to the frame. If the problem persist, then you need to diagnose the system when it is failing, otherwise everything will check OK. Intermittent problems are the hardest to diagnose and can only be found during failure to operate correctly. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
As Wizard said check the ground first. A low battery will also not allow the steps to fully retract, We had that happen to ours, charged the battery and all was fine.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #5

I lubed all my joints with wd40 and fixed my problem
Old 10-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I lubed all my joints with wd40 and fixed my problem

That makes sence. The motor moves until it stalls, then stops. There is not a stop per-se on distance. That is the reason curbing them does not hurt them.

So your motor drags to the point it stalls and thinks it is all the way out. Lubricating the pivots allowed it to work properly.

I bet the WD40 is short lived and will need a better lubricant.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #7

The problem is not a drag as if it has a lubriction problem. It moves very smoothly but doesn't seem to know how far to go in or out. I'll try the ground which might make sense that when I spray the heck out of it with silicone it can work for a couple of times. The liquid might be conducting the ground. How does the motor know when its fully retracted or extended?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #8

not the battery for sure.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #9

Does anyone know what tells the motor to end its open or closing cycle. It seems to me that the length of time that the motor is receiving an electric current is short of full stroke. Too short of time it gets current and she stops short of full extention or full retraction. Help please cause I hate the rv repair shop. They may fix this but will bust something else and Im back in. I think they do it on purpose to me. Cash payment
Old 10-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
your motor does not have any stop switches. The controller runs the motor until it senses a rise in amp draw. then it shuts off. That is why people keep talking about about greasing everything. If the joints get dry or caked up, they motor will draw too many amps and the controller will shut the motor off. Use WD40 to clean every hinge point. You are using it to clean more than as a lube. Run the steps several times and let it set a few days. Then lube the joints with a light spray grease. You will have to get on the ground to reach the motor hinges and the back hinge points.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
your motor does not have any stop switches. The controller runs the motor until it senses a rise in amp draw. then it shuts off. That is why people keep talking about about greasing everything. If the joints get dry or caked up, they motor will draw too many amps and the controller will shut the motor off. Use WD40 to clean every hinge point. You are using it to clean more than as a lube. Run the steps several times and let it set a few days. Then lube the joints with a light spray grease. You will have to get on the ground to reach the motor hinges and the back hinge points.
If the above lube advice doesn't cure it read through this Steps won't full cycle gears in the motor or transmission may need attention or just replace the motor, less than $50.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As for choice of lubricant try a light grease. Kwickee actually used to sell an optimal grease under their own brand. WD40 is not a good long term lubricant. Silicon is better, but still not long term in this application. I had endless problems with steps stalling until i started a regular cleaning and greasing program twice year. No problems after that.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #13

As suggested previously, clean up the moving parts, wd40m is good for that then apply /spray lithium grease and check the grounding connection. Worked for me.

Steve
Old 10-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #14

My stairs are fixed. I did track down the new companies punch list testing the order to determine the broken part. It was the module. The replacement cost $128 at Stromberg Carlson who is the reseller. The maker of the module charges $256 for the same module. The part number is different then the original because it is somewhat different. It is now water tight and solid. The old module easily takes on water and no doubt. it failed. So anyone who needs this the replacement part has a different part number but is the same, and works great. Thanks all