Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2016, 07:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
Ok, we still think it's the battery, but AAA was just here and said it tested out fine. We are wondering if there could be something happening in the coach that is putting an unusual drain on the chassis battery or causing it not to charge while on shore power.

Thanks for everyone's help, we would've never looked at the battery without your input.
Not sure how/what AAA looked at but I would do the following:

1. Put a load test on the battery because reading the static voltage does not tell you what the battery is doing when it is being used.

2. I would put an amp meter on the motor wiring for the steps (or on the battery positive cable) and see what kind of draw I was getting.
Baggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 05:37 AM   #16

On the step there should be a ground wire. Take it off, clean it up real good and reinstall. A poor ground will effect power goring to the motor of the step
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:48 AM   #17

When mine did that, I cleaned and lubed it. Works good now.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
When mine did that, I cleaned and lubed it. Works good now.

Wish that's all these needed. We managed to get to our destination where we have a couple weeks, haven't been able to find the cause yet. Doesn't seem to be the battery. We'll be calling a repair guy on Monday. Thanks for all of your help.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Wish that's all these needed. We managed to get to our destination where we have a couple weeks, haven't been able to find the cause yet. Doesn't seem to be the battery. We'll be calling a repair guy on Monday. Thanks for all of your help.
My step was retracting half-way and then making a ratcheting sound. Had gotten worse over the last month. Then it stopped all together, nothing. Checked the electrical system and the controller as being OK. It was the motor. Ordered a new one from Amazon for $68.95, got it in two days and installed it yesterday. Step works better than new, quiet and smooth.
Mine is the exact same step as yours, the 32 model. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160922_154824.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	139742  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
My step was retracting half-way and then making a ratcheting sound. Had gotten worse over the last month. Then it stopped all together, nothing. Checked the electrical system and the controller as being OK. It was the motor. Ordered a new one from Amazon for $68.95, got it in two days and installed it yesterday. Step works better than new, quiet and smooth.
Mine is the exact same step as yours, the 32 model. Good luck!

Ah, that sounds very familiar and the photo of the motor is exactly the same. We have a couple other things we are checking tomorrow, if they don't work, that may be our next step. Thanks do much.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Ah, that sounds very familiar and the photo of the motor is exactly the same. We have a couple other things we are checking tomorrow, if they don't work, that may be our next step. Thanks do much.
When you get finished changing parts, go on Amazon and order up a can of Boshield T9. Spray Every pivot point on the steps. They will work.
Use this stuf to lube your basement door latches, door hinges etc etc.
This Stuff Works!
Old 09-23-2016, 07:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
When you get finished changing parts, go on Amazon and order up a can of Boshield T9. Spray Every pivot point on the steps. They will work.
Use this stuf to lube your basement door latches, door hinges etc etc.
This Stuff Works!
I had always meticulously lubed my steps with the manufacturer's recommended product and had also used Boeshield T9 on them.

However, I am pretty sure that I have determined the cause of failure: Operator Error. Being in a hurry, I would occasionally step on the step before it was fully extended. That is a big no, no (see owner's manual).

I took apart the old motor/gear and the white plastic gear was stripped in one area. I am sure that by me occasionally putting my weight on the step before it was fully locked into position caused the problem. I won't do that anymore!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
I had always meticulously lubed my steps with the manufacturer's recommended product and had also used Boeshield T9 on them.

However, I am pretty sure that I have determined the cause of failure: Operator Error. Being in a hurry, I would occasionally step on the step before it was fully extended. That is a big no, no (see owner's manual).

I took apart the old motor/gear and the white plastic gear was stripped in one area. I am sure that by me occasionally putting my weight on the step before it was fully locked into position caused the problem. I won't do that anymore!

Bummer, hope it works out for you. Another chapter in the RV Adventures Book....
Old 09-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJINTF View Post
Hope you do not have the same problem I just had

My Steps are the Kwikee 32 series with the IMGL 9510 gear motor assembly
An internal white plastic gear had rounded off causing the motor to draw high current and thus shut off before coming all the way in as it should.
The bad news is that neither AM engineering, Lippert or Power Gear / Kwikee will sell you the defective part they want to sell the entire motor assembly for $75 - Not the simple $2.00 plastic part

If anyone has been able to find the White Plastic Gear please share with us where you obtained it
Same problem, also could not find the gear, replaced the whole motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Also, I would avoid spray grease which will attract dirt and make things worse.
All due respect, most RV steps out there are Kwikee brand, and they recommend their own lube, Kwiklube, which is a grease.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:03 AM   #25

Quote:
When I thought mine would need replacing, I was told the motor is a left front power window motor from a Ford Taurus that could be bought at any auto parts store.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #26

The RV repair person determined that the entire gear assembly needs to be replaced. The steel teeth on the gears are damaged. The dealer price on that part from the manufacturer is $342! We have found a way to deal with them while we are out for the rest of the month and then when we get home, we'll have them repaired under our extended warranty. Thanks to everyone for their help.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:33 PM   #27

Quote:
The RV repair person determined that the entire gear assembly needs to be replaced. The steel teeth on the gears are damaged. The dealer price on that part from the manufacturer is $342! We have found a way to deal with them while we are out for the rest of the month and then when we get home, we'll have them repaired under our extended warranty. Thanks to everyone for their help.
That price is pretty marked up. Like maybe 300% if they are replacing both the motor and linkage

OEM motor for $60 >> https://www.amazon.com/Kwikee-110142...kee+step+parts

OEM gear box for $60>> https://www.amazon.com/Kwikee-110142...kee+step+parts
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:46 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
Take the power unit to a auto parts store. It is a power window lift motor. They can matrch it with a new one.
Thanks hydro, that is something to remember.
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps