Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #15

EPDM Roof rubber roof

I used Kool White on an EDPM roof. Still good when I traded it 9 years later. Took less than 5 gallons.
TPO roof never needed anything.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsperfect View Post
In the adv it said 5 gal per 75 sq ft. 340 sq ft there fore 5 5 gallon buckets at 80 is 400 bucks
Not sure what ad you mean, but the website in the first link says this.
  • Covers approximately 50-100 square feet per gallon
It took about 3 gallons of kool seal to get 2 coats on my 36'r.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:50 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
Hey Tyler, you said you used liquid rubber is that the name of the product or its formulation? If it has a brand name please let us know, and where it is available.
Thanks.
I used this primer---> here ----> F1501 2 ProFlex Primer 2 Gallon Kit | eBay

I used the product called "Liquid Rubber" I got the 5 gallon can ---- here ----> Liquid Rubber Smooth Sealant - Flexible Coloured Coating – Liquid Rubber Online Store

I put it on with paint rollers (1 coat of primer and 3 coats of Liquid Rubber) I have about 1/2 gallon of liquid rubber left over but keep in mind that my RV is an old school 1990 and it has no slides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_2476.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	92838   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_2475.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	92839  

Old 04-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I should also say that I had some rips so I used this tape to tape over the small rips and around the vents..etc... I cut the tape to fit and painted the primer and liquid rubber over it---> here -------> Eternabond RoofSeal Black 3" x 50' - Roof Flashing - Amazon.com
Old 04-29-2015, 06:19 AM   #19

Thanks Tyler, it looks really good. Yep I've got a roll of that eternal bond tape and keep it with me for insurance
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:26 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
Thanks Tyler, it looks really good. Yep I've got a roll of that eternal bond tape and keep it with me for insurance
It was actually pretty easy to do. The hardest part was scraping off the old sealant around the vents, luggage rack, TV antenna and in the front and rear where it connects to the front cap and the back metal frame covers. The trick was getting up there on a baking 90 degree CA day when the sealant had became very soft from the hot sun and it scraped right off real easy, it came off like gum stuck to a table. If you don't have any CA days you can use a heat gun but the sun made it real soft all over, although a bit uncomfortable to be up on the hot roof. Also, I didn't remove the A/Cs, I just removed the housings of each AC. I was able to use a paint brush and reach under them to seal them all the way around with primer and liquid rubber so that no way any water could get under them. The roof came out good and now it is totally white.

Now, how can I paint the fiberglass sides and cap?? It totally needs a paint job but it's not worth putting $15K into a 25yr old motor home just to get a pro to paint it right. I mean, I would rather take the $15K and trade my motorhome in for a newer and better one. Nope, the only way it gets painted is if I do the job myself, but how? and where? I feel a little stuck on this. I could probably get some auto painting tools and the paint for a few grand, but I don't have anyplace inside where I could do it and I've never painted a motor vehicle before, ha ha. I don't know if I can get decals or how to put them on if I could. I would not try anything real fancy, I know it won't come out like a professional job, but any improvement would be good and I would like to have some clear coat on the outside to protect it as well as make it look better. Hmmmmm, I'm still in the "thinking about it" stage, haha. Maybe I will take it to the lake next week and think about it while fishing.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #21

Paint

Tyler this is just a thought,im helping my soninlaw paint his 53 ft boat.We are rolling it with a sponge roller and then following behind with a special paint brush,they call this roll & tip.You can see this on utube ,if it work great on a fiberglass boat why not a fiberglass MH.Like i said just a thought.
Paul
Old 04-30-2015, 12:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
It was actually pretty easy to do. The hardest part was scraping off the old sealant around the vents, luggage rack, TV antenna and in the front and rear where it connects to the front cap and the back metal frame covers. The trick was getting up there on a baking 90 degree CA day when the sealant had became very soft from the hot sun and it scraped right off real easy, it came off like gum stuck to a table. If you don't have any CA days you can use a heat gun but the sun made it real soft all over, although a bit uncomfortable to be up on the hot roof. Also, I didn't remove the A/Cs, I just removed the housings of each AC. I was able to use a paint brush and reach under them to seal them all the way around with primer and liquid rubber so that no way any water could get under them. The roof came out good and now it is totally white.

Now, how can I paint the fiberglass sides and cap?? It totally needs a paint job but it's not worth putting $15K into a 25yr old motor home just to get a pro to paint it right. I mean, I would rather take the $15K and trade my motorhome in for a newer and better one. Nope, the only way it gets painted is if I do the job myself, but how? and where? I feel a little stuck on this. I could probably get some auto painting tools and the paint for a few grand, but I don't have anyplace inside where I could do it and I've never painted a motor vehicle before, ha ha. I don't know if I can get decals or how to put them on if I could. I would not try anything real fancy, I know it won't come out like a professional job, but any improvement would be good and I would like to have some clear coat on the outside to protect it as well as make it look better. Hmmmmm, I'm still in the "thinking about it" stage, haha. Maybe I will take it to the lake next week and think about it while fishing.
You may find this hard to believe but you could do a test patch. A fellow on my street painted his Corvette with black hi gloss enamel spray bombs and then used 2000 grit wet paper to wet sand it to a beautiful finish, it was quite amazing and since then I did a small repair on my boat with the same method, did a fine job.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used EPDM on two different motor home roofs....it cost me about $300.00 give or take 50.00 bucks...I forgot how many gallons it took...I think it was 3 but needed 4 so rather than order another gallon...I spread it kinda thin in spots the last time...still worked well...check out EPDM website...only takes one coat ....fairly simple to put on, just takes time....if your ready with all the stuff on the roof...vent cover nuts and bolts, etc...shouldn't take you more than about four or five hours to do the roof.....Once you add the hardener to it, you have to use it all...unless you have a place to freeze it...so don't mix it until you know you'll use it all...People have told me you can use EPDM for mobile homes purchased at Home Depot or Lowes...and it does just as good...have never tried it...I expect to redue my roof again with EPDM probably in about five years or so...so that would be eight years of use...might last longer...but I will use it again...good stuff
Old 04-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #24

I used this.
RoofMate Topcoat Elastomeric Roof Coating, WHITE (5G)

Installed 5/2010 and is still looking great!
It took a primer coat first and then I kept rolling the RoofMate on until it ran out(about 6 coats).

Skip H.
96 Windsor
Old 05-01-2015, 01:04 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchadw1944 View Post
I have used EPDM on two different motor home roofs....it cost me about $300.00 give or take 50.00 bucks...I forgot how many gallons it took...I think it was 3 but needed 4 so rather than order another gallon...I spread it kinda thin in spots the last time...still worked well...check out EPDM website...only takes one coat ....fairly simple to put on, just takes time....if your ready with all the stuff on the roof...vent cover nuts and bolts, etc...shouldn't take you more than about four or five hours to do the roof.....Once you add the hardener to it, you have to use it all...unless you have a place to freeze it...so don't mix it until you know you'll use it all...People have told me you can use EPDM for mobile homes purchased at Home Depot or Lowes...and it does just as good...have never tried it...I expect to redue my roof again with EPDM probably in about five years or so...so that would be eight years of use...might last longer...but I will use it again...good stuff
Yes, good stuff. I used Liquid EPDM on my 36 ft 5th wheel over 5 years ago. Still looks good and only takes one coat.

Liquid Roof, Solution For RV Roof Leaks Repair - EPDM Coatings
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:44 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
MrPlymouth That's an interesting technique, the boats come out nice!! I guess it's possible to do a motorhome that way too.

Mentor--- Thanks for the tip!! I've never seen that done before.

Also, I found a place where you can order just simple colored stripe decals for cheap with instructions on how to put them on. Click here

And another place who will make nicer more custom decals for Do It Yourself here.

Wow, this is starting to seem like a real possibility and not just a dream now!! I'm thinking, paint it all in one or two tones then put some decals on, then a few coats of clear-coat...done!! It sounds so easy just talking about doing it, haha..
Old 05-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Roof Coatings

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsperfect View Post
It say a 5 gallon bucket is going to cover 50-100 sq ft so lets say 75 on verage one coat. That means for a 34 ft MH will need almost 20 gallons at 80 bucks per 5.

Dico is cheaper and better
Your math is off. Using the EPDM calculator on their site, 6 gallons would be needed for one coat costing less than $400.
Other products are Water base, require a coat of primer and two coats of the sealant. That is 3 times the labor, 3 times the labor cost , and cost of both primer and sealant to use another product.

I noticed the cost of DICOR averages between $70 and $101 a gallon for their quality coatings.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #28

How do you know roof type? Rubber -vs- EDPM ? I have a 2005 Class A Bounder DP

Tags
roof