Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Equalizing coach batteries

We have a 2013 Fleetwood Excursion with four 6 volt flooded cell batteries wired in series to produce 12 volts. Two of these are supposed to be dedicated to the inverter to power the residential fridge and TV. How can I tell if the coach is wired correctly as the LED panels simply read out for Aux. batteries?

When performing the "Equalizing" mode as stated on the panel it worked just fine. I checked the batteries as stated during equalizing. All batteries appeared to be getting the 15+ volts as specified. However, only two of the four 6 volt batteries were getting warm and bubbling. Shouldn't all the batteries have been "gassing" in the equalizing phase????

It is very difficult to even see where the cables run on this coach let alone how they are wired. I have a lot of experience with electrical systems, but this has got me fooled!

Everything appears to be functioning just fine, except that when "inverting" the voltages show the same on the LED panel as the batteries are depleted.

The coach is equipped with an MS2000 Magnum Inverter/Charger.

Please help! Thanks

Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm not the right guy to answer this.....I have fought batteries and chargers for a while and finally got my system working (took new batteries, since the charger was overcharging the old ones and I wasn't smart enough to realize it...it was pushing them to over 14 volts and was using over 100 amps (at 12 volts) to charge them. Once I got a new circuit board for my Magnum (just call their tech support and talk to them...they are really helpful and will walk you through the tests and then make recommendations) all is wonderful with my new batteries.

So, I have had to take them out and put in new ones...not too hard. Just take photos of the cables....label them WELL, and then draw a diagram too. They should be two six volt batteries hooked up in series to give you 12 volts. and then another pair also hooked up in series, and then the two pairs of batteries are hooked in parallel to get you double the capacity.

Sounds like you are pretty sure they are getting the correct charging voltage. I would start by pulling them out, and having them load tested....since two boil and two do not...you need to know why they aren't responding the same.

Again, call Magnum first and talk to their tech support. Good luck.
'07 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PRQ ("Elvis"), and our 2012 CRV toad
B52Guy is offline   Reply With Quote