Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Eternabond

Another Eternabond question.

I am getting ready to install Eternabond. Just waiting for some decent weather.

When reviewing some install tips, one of the tips was to use caulking along the edges facing the wind when traveling to prevent pulling up. Who does this? Is this necessary? What type caulking should be used? Would Dicor lap sealant work? I would like to hear from both sides, yes or no.

Thanks for your help.................

TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #2

Don't know if it's necessary, but I did it, using lap sealant. Sounded like a good idea, couldn't hurt, and wasn't expensive.

RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #3

Why would one put down lap sealant and then cover it with eternabond tape? The eternabond tape will never come off cleanly if you need to take it off, and the lap sealant did the job in the first place..?..

If you apply the lap sealant properly, there is no need for the eternabond tape. I am a fan of what the OE manufacturer recommends, and it's not eternabond.

Eternabond does have uses to repair a minor scrape, cut in the roof, whether rubber or fiberglass. I carry it in my coach for this reason.

I always use either Dicor lap sealant (self leveling caulk) around vents, or any other fixture protruding from the roof, and Geocell for the factory seams. After 7 years, I only have to do annual touch up's.

I have had to reseal my roof seams along the length of the roof along the awning rail in my Winnebago, as recommended by Winnie. I would never use eternabond along this seam, as I have full body paint, and it wouldn't go with the 'decor'.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I did it when I used the Eternabond on the seam at the roof and front and rear caps. Seemed like a sensible, cheap precaution.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #5

Absolutely do it. The bit of sticky stuff that oozes out the edge of the eternabond will grab every piece of dirt that comes close to it!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #6

Iv'e used the tape and think it's great. if you want to use the dicore with it , go for it. I don't think it's necessary, but don't really know what you are sealing.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we just did our roof (HR 2000 Admiral, 29') We used the 4"roll which we cut in half and put it on both sides of the original tape. First we cleaned the roof with a Mr.Clean sponge and Shine On...then we applied the tape...it is easy to cut if it is kept in a cool place (we are in Central Florida, Gulf side)...temps are usually in the 70s. After doing the original tape we used Dicor wherever it was before....tomorrow we are going to mount a Winegard Dish...we cut apart a ladder mount and reconstructed it to attach it to the roof..drilling holes and filling them in with the Dicor..running cables along the rear to the connect in the bay where the tv cables are....
Old 02-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #8

I installed it and it will not come up at the seams. You can also start at the back and work forward to overlap so the seam doesn't face the wind, but not necessary. It will stick beyond belief. I cleaned area w/409 after washing the roof. 4 years and still good!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #9

There's an aerodynamic phenomenon that's being missed here...it's usually referred to as "boundary layer". This is a layer of air that moves slowly over the surface of an object due to friction.

When I was a kid I remember watching a spider walk across the windshield of our car as my dad was driving 60mph down the road and wondered how this could happen. Now I know, it's the boundary layer.

Point is, your tape is thin enough to be in the boundary layer and won't lift regardless of how fast your coach is, assuming it's properly adhered to surface to begin with.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Eternabond is good for emergency repairs but left on for a long period will start to allow moisture under it. I tried to fix the seal at the front cap and roof with it. Yes, it worked for about 8 months. I spent a couple of long days pulling it up, cleaning off the glue and sealing it properly with a quality sealant.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer View Post
Absolutely do it. The bit of sticky stuff that oozes out the edge of the eternabond will grab every piece of dirt that comes close to it!
This is the only reason, IMO, to run a bead along the edge of Eternabond. Most use clear silicon, others white to match the tape. I've never had any oozing out of the edge, but the edge does turn black after a few thousand miles of traveling as it accumulates dirt. Not all that annoying though since it's way up on the roof.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
Eternabond is good for emergency repairs but left on for a long period will start to allow moisture under it. I tried to fix the seal at the front cap and roof with it. Yes, it worked for about 8 months. I spent a couple of long days pulling it up, cleaning off the glue and sealing it properly with a quality sealant.
This is a new one to me. I have Eternabond on my front cap that's been there for 6 years and is still as good as the day I put it down. Cleaned the area well, but only trimmed the old silicon and removed loose caulking, then applied over the seam and old silicon.

Was the surface clean and dry when you applied it? Was it an off brand that said it was as good as Eternabond?

Curious.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did not caulk 3 years ago. A small line at the tape edge did turn black, but on the roof I don't really care.
I see someone had water under the tape - if you lay the tape flat (do not streatch it at all or bunch it up) it will not allow water under it.
P.S. I live where weather sees the 100's (F) in the summer and 10F in the winter - no problem.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Eternabond recommends sealing the edges, so there must be a reason.
If all else fails, read and follow the instructions.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond