Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOKER View Post
1.Eternabond is tape and comes on a roll.
2.Dicor is self leveling culk in a tube.
I have only used the Eternabond to reseal and found it easy to use and have never had a roof leak. Very sticky and think it would seal most anything. Hope this helps.
Dicor is also a tape on a roll. That is why I'm confused!!!!!

Did you look at the video I posted?

Since everyone seems to be using Eternabond, can I assume it is due to pricing. Or is EternaBond just a better tape product?

LakeKerrGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #16

I know nothing about the Dicor tape. I do know if you want to seal something, Eternabond tape will seal it and last for years. Also know that if someone searches the forum for Eternabond they will find hundreds of happy users.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
Water intrusion is a costly problem. It is paramount to do everything possible to keep water out of your RV. I recently replaced my a/c gaskets on my 2007 MH as preventative maintanence. If your 1999 has factory gaskets it is time and money well spent to replace them. Proper torquing of worn out gaskets is ineffective (or at best temporary) at keeping water out.
Thanks George, Costly repair is what I'm trying to avoid. Until today, I did not know there were gaskets under the ac that needs to be maintained. As Mel suggested, I'm looking through the ac manual to find the torque specs.

What I still cannot get my head around is how a roof leak of any kind can cause a wet carpet WITHOUT any evidence on water on ceiling or walls. Do you have any thoughts about that?
Old 06-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I went to Camping World a few months ago to buy some Eternabond. They didn't have it. What they tried to sell me was Dicor. They said it was the same thing, just a different supplier.

I bought a very small patch of the Dicor, as I only had to repair a very small spot. It seemed to apply the same way as Eternabond. I can guarantee you that you'll never get that patch off my roof!

I do notice that practically everybody sells the rolls of Dicor, but it's really hard to find anybody that sells Eternabond. Maybe it has to be ordered online.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #19

Can Google Eternabond and find many places selling and shipping to your door. Also can get good pricing from Eternabond Roof Tape
Old 06-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
Dicor is also a tape on a roll. That is why I'm confused!!!!!
Since everyone seems to be using Eternabond, can I assume it is due to pricing. Or is EternaBond just a better tape product?
Eternabond tape is a proven product why risk your $$, and your, coach using a "Johnny come lately"?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
Eternabond is great. I bought mine online from a plumbing supply e-store.. At the time it was significantly cheaper than CW. I'd guess both tapes are great.

Re the AC.. just remember that bouncing down the road has it's effect on the seal. I tighten once a year.. nothing too heavy.. just snug.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Confused about repair tapes. Which have you guys and gals used?

If you have followed the thread about leaking water tanks you may have seen where I reported on a wet floor above the tanks. Don't know how, but someway water is getting from the roof to the middle of the floor. The perplexing part is that it is not on the ceiling or walls.
I would use the 4" Eternabond on all the large openings such as vent fans, skylights, etc, and use the Dicor 502LSW self-leveling sealant on the small openings such as antennas, vent pipes, etc.

When we bought our MH it had a small leak that we could not locate. We did the whole roof in the manner above. Problem solved!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #23

Quote:
What I still cannot get my head around is how a roof leak of any kind can cause a wet carpet WITHOUT any evidence on water on ceiling or walls. Do you have any thoughts about that?
Just have to analyse the situation a bit more closely. Did the wet patch occur only after heavy rain? Is the wt patch there all the time or just a once-off? Does it happen only when the AC is running? Or only when you flush the black tank?

Is there plastic-coated underlay under the carpet and is there a hole in the plastic layer just where the wet patch is - meaning the water could berunning between the underlay and the floor from the wall.

etc etc.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:21 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When you view the Dicor video, the patch tape looks exactly like Eternabond in every way. I've held both the Dicor tape and Eternabond in my hand and I can't tell the difference. The second tape they show in the video has a little different top for coating, but I bet the adhesive is Eternabond based.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:22 AM   #25

I'm looking through the ac manual to find the torque specs.

Apologies for re-directing this thread. The torque specs are 60 inch lbs (not inch not foot) on the lag screws that mount the a/c to the roof. In most cases it is a 14 X 14" foam square donut and over time the foam loses it resiliency and no longer seals. I purchased two gaskets OEM from Amazon for a bit less than 50 bucks for the pair (expensive foam for sure). If you use the search feature of the forum you will find posts on how to replace the gasket, it is a DIY for most folks.

Sorry, I do not know how the water has traveled down the walls and onto the carpet.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:03 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
When you view the Dicor video, the patch tape looks exactly like Eternabond in every way. I've held both the Dicor tape and Eternabond in my hand and I can't tell the difference. The second tape they show in the video has a little different top for coating, but I bet the adhesive is Eternabond based.

Yes they do look alike. The question is , do they perform the same ? I have used Eternabond tape and it works. I have never been impressed with Dicor products so I have not tried their tape.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
The torque specs are 60 inch lbs (inch not foot) on the lag screws that mount the a/c to the roof.
Sorry, I do not know how the water has traveled down the walls and onto the carpet.
gruelens
40-50 INCH lbs., (not 60), is the torque specified for the bolts of my Penquin roof A/Cs.
I assumed that the torque specs for other A/C might be different, (that's why I suggested "Get the specs from your manual").

Quote:
LakeKerrGuy
It's not impossible, (or unusual), for leaking water to travel unseen, (above the ceiling, along and down wires or plumbing inside the walls, in back of cabinets, behind paneling, etc.), before it migrates under and into the carpeting.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Eternabond tape is a proven product why risk your $$, and your, coach using a "Johnny come lately"?
Pulled the trigger today and purchased a 4"x 50' roll of Dicor tape. Also got a tube of self leveling and lap seal sealant.

Went with Dicor because:

That's what Camping World had

That's what the Original care & maintenance documents call for.

Posting as a reply to Mel's comment because he called Dicor a Johnny come lately. Cannot see where that is true if the original paperwork for a 15 year old MH calls for it.

Tags
dicor, eternabond