Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
EternaBond or Dicor???

Confused about repair tapes. Which have you guys and gals used?

If you have followed the thread about leaking water tanks you may have seen where I reported on a wet floor above the tanks. Don't know how, but someway water is getting from the roof to the middle of the floor. The perplexing part is that it is not on the ceiling or walls.

LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 12:12 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I believe that Eternabond and Dicor roof repair patch tapes are the same thing.

As far as roof repairs go, Dicor has some great videos on doing the repair correctly.
https://www.youtube.com/user/dicorroofing/videos

Old 06-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
different

Dicor is a coating self leveling caulk type stuff. Eternabond is the stickiest tape you could ever use. It comes in widths, rolls and by the foot on the bay or most any camping supply. Seems like it will seal about anything and stays stuck where it lands or you place it.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:27 AM   #4

I sealed all my seams with eternabond on every R v I have owned. I have never had an issue with it coming off or leaking. I have never had to replace any of it either. I believe it is more permanent than caulk like sealers like Dicor, etc.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:58 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you cannt see where the water is coming from check your AC unit seals.. take off the plastic guard inside, tighten the four bolts just slightly,, over-tighten and you cause more of a leak.. On a 99 you might need new AC seals..
Old 06-02-2014, 06:40 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I believe that Eternabond and Dicor roof repair patch tapes are the same thing.

As far as roof repairs go, Dicor has some great videos on doing the repair correctly.
https://www.youtube.com/user/dicorroofing/videos

Still confused... Are you saying the tape product shown and used in this video by Dicor is Eterabond. Is this like Jello vs gelatin or Kleenex vs tissue

Old 06-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
If you cannt see where the water is coming from check your AC unit seals.. take off the plastic guard inside, tighten the four bolts just slightly,, over-tighten and you cause more of a leak.. On a 99 you might need new AC seals..
Checked that. Can see no evidence of a leak. Tightened each bolt about a turn or turn and a half using an 6" adjustable wrench (did not have nut driver handy in pouch). What do you think? Should it have been tighter?

I'm trying to get some pictures posted. Cannot figure out how to do. Have read in faq but still cannot get them posted. Any advice on posting??????
Old 06-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi LakeKerrGuy,
If you re going to seal the roof seams, keep the solution simple. EternaBond should be seriously considered. I've used it for many years and never had a problem or had to re-seal. If you choose to use EternaBond, drop a chalk line where one edge of the tape will go. EternaBond gives one chance to be placed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi LakeKerrGuy,
If you re going to seal the roof seams, keep the solution simple. EternaBond should be seriously considered. I've used it for many years and never had a problem or had to re-seal. If you choose to use EternaBond, drop a chalk line where one edge of the tape will go. EternaBond gives one chance to be placed.
Thanks Gary,

The question remains. What is the difference between EternaBond and Dicor? You say keep it simple (kiss). Are you saying EternaBond is simpler than Dicor?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
Checked that. Can see no evidence of a leak. Tightened each bolt about a turn or turn and a half using an 6" adjustable wrench (did not have nut driver handy in pouch). What do you think? Should it have been tighter?
LakeKerrGuy
There are specific torque specs for the A/C hold down bolts, (IMO, it's irresponsible to tighten them willy-nilly).
Get the specs from your manual, and a 1/4" inch lb. torque wrench from Harbor Freight: 1/4" Torque Wrench - 20-200 in. lbs., (only $10-$12 when on sale), and do it RIGHT.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #11

Water intrusion is a costly problem. It is paramount to do everything possible to keep water out of your RV. I recently replaced my a/c gaskets on my 2007 MH as preventative maintanence. If your 1999 has factory gaskets it is time and money well spent to replace them. Proper torquing of worn out gaskets is ineffective (or at best temporary) at keeping water out.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi LakeKerrGuy,
For me, there is nothing simpler than EternaBond. Sorry I was not clear in my previous post.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
difference

1.Eternabond is tape and comes on a roll.
2.Dicor is self leveling culk in a tube.
I have only used the Eternabond to reseal and found it easy to use and have never had a roof leak. Very sticky and think it would seal most anything. Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #14

EternaBond is easy and makes you look like you know what your doing

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dicor, eternabond