Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #1

Eternabond vs tar tape

I started to reply to an older post on this subject but it was too old and I could not. We have a 2005 Safari with an aluminum roof seamed with aluminum tar tape. The tape seals are tight except previously it appears the front cap moved s bit free of the tape and a previous owner filled the gap with no sag sealant. That sealant now works as a water dam in heavy rain. Recently a leak started and I temporarily patched it with Dicor SL. I now want a more permanent solution. At first I was thinking to remove all the sealant and go back with Dicor SL but having read about eternabond I am now thinking of removing the old sealant and applying a 4” strip of it over laping the original tar tape and front cap. I think I can get about 1 to 1-1/2” of tape onto the cap without it showing from the ground. What is your advice? Eternabond, lap sealing or replace tar tap?
NOLAfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #2

Eternabond.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:51 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Eternabond.
Eternabond.overlap at least 2 inches. So what if someone sees it. Better to have no leak. Who's going to say anything to you that you would actually care about.[emoji33] [emoji12]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #4

IF you can get the surfaces where the tape will be clean, than I'd say Eternabond tape. So easy to apply, lasts for years, looks fairly good the whole time and of course it's on the roof so can't really see it from the ground much anyway. Here's a picture showing how it looks...

Ebond on edge and end cap...

I have used it on both my rubber and fiberglass roofs and although I'm not all that familiar with an all aluminum roof I'm a big fan of Ebond tape. Here's a link to my blog article about the places on my roof where it was used FYI. So far after 2 years still holding fine. Did have to replace a 4 foot section on the rear end cap seam that lifted but that was an easy job as the front facing seam got dirt on it and the wind from driving slowly peeled it up off the roof. So I didn't have much cleanup.

Using Ebond tape on the roof...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:53 AM   #5

Eternabond-- cleanup the area really good with acetone then apply the eternabond and rollit down to break the internal bubbles to get it to seal .
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I think that EternaBond would do the job! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

There is nothing wrong with the foil-type roof repair tape is you have a metal roof, but Eternabond is a good choice as well.

HOWEVER, your problem is that the front cap is shifting (as you drive or when leveling the RV) and that is likely to tear any seal you put across the fixed roof and the now-moving cap. Both the Dicor 501 and Eternabond have some stretch built in, but it sounds like yours is moving more that can be readily accommodated. A buddy of mine had that same problem on a 2004 Endeavor (from the same factory as yours!) and he had to re-seal a couple times a year because the seam kept opening up. Neither tape nor Dicor held up very long under the stress. He was a fulltimer, so traveled frequently. If you are a less frequent RVer, you might get a year or more each time.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #8

If the cap moves too much for normal RV repair to work. Might have do more like a roof expansion gap on a building.
Rubber not tight over seam but floating with extra.material glued away from seem. it would have to be glued down not adhesive tape. The ends of repair.. finished away from the expansion down tight.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #9

After thinking more on it I am surprised everbond or other brands haven't created .tape with a no bounding strip or vinyl maybe foam speedbump shape in the middle to create an expansion joint. It need extra inspection or extre presealing as water could travel under. It could be DIY with strip in the middle and reattach th peel off in two strips . To create a bit of a pucker but not in the ends.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond