Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2016, 04:49 AM   #1
WDW

Ethanol additive

I've been thinking about running some type of ethanol additive before winter. After a summer of driving and fueling up with a variety of different ethanol enhanced gases, I'm concerned about the build up of gunk in my tank.

I have used a product called K 100 before on my cars and lawnmowers, but gathering up enough of it for 80 gallon tank could be pricey. So while I was at Wally world I found a Lucas brand ethanol additive.

Any thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1473504555.990239.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	138532

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 05:09 AM   #2

I'm a little confused or am not understanding the post properly.
It sounds like you want to add additional ethanol to the gas blend that already contains ethanol. I gues as long as you don't exceed E15 it would hurt anything but not sure it would help anything either.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:36 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I'm a little confused or am not understanding the post properly.
It sounds like you want to add additional ethanol to the gas blend that already contains ethanol. I gues as long as you don't exceed E15 it would hurt anything but not sure it would help anything either.

I think he wants to add an additive to STABILIZE the ethanol which is already in his gas tank, so it doesn't oxidize or separate causing more issues.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:47 AM   #4
Community Moderator

I think the original stabil product is effective. One 32 oz bottle says it treats 80 gallons of fuel, and costs $10 with free shipping at Amazon.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1473508017.594831.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	138533

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1473508042.967679.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	138534
Old 09-10-2016, 06:48 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Adding additional ethanol is a poor idea. Ethanol absorbs water and the last thing you want in your fuel system is water. Sta-Bil is the stuff you want to use.

Sta-Bil works great in your lawnmower, snow blower, lawn tractor and so on. If you haven't used it, try it. When you can start your lawn mower on the first pull after storing it all winter, you will see why we are recommending it.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:51 AM   #6

I have used the Lucas product when I begin my parked season in FL. I put a bottle in and fill the tank, run the genny on the way to the park. Six or seven months later when I leave had no problems starting or running rig or genny. Last year I didn't even start the genny the whole time I was parked, no problems after that long of storage. I'll use the Lucas product again this year.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:53 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put stabil in a full tank when the mh will be sitting for a few months. If you are traveling and using the gas as you go in a few days, no need. At the end of the season use stabil and run the generator awhile to protect that fuel line as well.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #8
WDW

I was looking to use the Lucas to clean up the effects of Ethanol fuel. We have a few trips left before its time to winterize and move it to our storage site.

Also, before we go into storage I will use Sta Bil in the tank. And run the generator before a long winter nap.😞😞

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Ethanol is a solvent. It has already cleaned your tank and it leaves no "gunk". If you want to lay the coach up for the winter, find a station that sells ethanol free gas and fill the tank. I use an app on the phone called "Pure Gas" to locate stations that sell ethanol free gas.

The ill effects of E10 is highly over rated
Old 09-10-2016, 11:20 AM   #10

Maybe i've just been lucky but i have never had any problems, even when using months old E10 fuel. I have friends that use the StaBil religiously and as far as i know, haven't had any problems. But then i always wonder, how do they know the additive actually did anything to help. A post above stated this same thing,, that he stored with the StaBil and was able to start the engine on the first pull. I'd say there's a good chance the engine would have started first pull even if the additive wasn't used.

Honestly, i'm skeptical that these things really help much. For example, the recommended dosage for my boat is 1 ounce per 10 gallons of fuel. Personally, i just don't see how this small amount can do anything. Who knows, i may be proven totally wrong one day but for now, i'm not buying it.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Ethanol is a solvent. It has already cleaned your tank and it leaves no "gunk". If you want to lay the coach up for the winter, find a station that sells ethanol free gas and fill the tank. I use an app on the phone called "Pure Gas" to locate stations that sell ethanol free gas.

The ill effects of E10 is highly over rated
X2 on the ill effects of ethanol.

I have been using ethanol blended gasoline since the 80s. I have left cars sit all winter, I have left our motormoe sit all winter, I have left lawn mowers sit all winter with no ill effects.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
X2 on the ill effects of ethanol.

I have been using ethanol blended gasoline since the 80s. I have left cars sit all winter, I have left our motormoe sit all winter, I have left lawn mowers sit all winter with no ill effects.

Cold weather slows down all chemical reactions. You would probably see different effects in warmer temperatures.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Cold weather slows down all chemical reactions. You would probably see different effects in warmer temperatures.
So what problems would one expect if I lived in a warmer climate, and didnt use any additives?
Old 09-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

X3 on the ill effects of ethanol.

This is really not a problem you need to worry about.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote