Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ethanol or Ethanol-Free

We have been using non-ethanol gasoline in our 2003 8.1 powered coach for several years. When we are forced to use gasoline with ethanol, we add a supplement.

We are negotiating the purchase of a 2013 Ford V10 powered coach. If we do reach an agreement with the dealer and purchase this coach, should we continue to use non-ethanol or use the less expensive ethanol fuel?

So please advise, 1) Ethanol, 2) Ethanol with supplement or 3) Non-ethanol.

Thanks.

2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #2

Don't waste your money, the new Ford V-10 engines are engineered to run on ethanol blend fuels up to 15%.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
We have been using non-ethanol gasoline in our 2003 8.1 powered coach for several years. When we are forced to use gasoline with ethanol, we add a supplement.

We are negotiating the purchase of a 2013 Ford V10 powered coach. If we do reach an agreement with the dealer and purchase this coach, should we continue to use non-ethanol or use the less expensive ethanol fuel?

So please advise, 1) Ethanol, 2) Ethanol with supplement or 3) Non-ethanol.

Thanks.
What is the difference in price per gallon?
You should be getting better MPG with the Ethanol free, generally a minimum of 10% better.
It is basically an arithmetic exercise, if your ethanol free costs 10% more than it is a break even deal at the minimum.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #4

I would advise to skip the supplement. If the engine is an e85 rated engine and the cost is as the other poster mentioned at least a 10% savings over reg fuel it can make sense.
Personally I believe the oil co's have kept ethanol mixed fuels about a wash when it comes to price vs the lower mpg you'll get. Making sure they limit the use of ethanol maintaining profit margins.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #5

Ford powertrains have been engineered for years to run on E10 or slightly higher. In fact, most automotive companies have been basing their fuel systems and intake designs around E10 or higher.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All 2013s are designed to run with booze in the tank.. Run better without it but hey... The government seems to be sold on mixing alcohol with gas, Even though we have been told for years they don't mix
Old 07-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
All 2013s are designed to run with booze in the tank.. Run better without it but hey... The government seems to be sold on mixing alcohol with gas, Even though we have been told for years they don't mix
I had posted this on another thread

Did you ever take a pencil to regular vs ethanol regular?

If you get 20mpg with regular it takes 50 gallon to go 1000 miles.

If you get 18mpg with ethanol regular it takes 55.6 gallons to go 1000 miles.

With 10% ethanol to a gallon it takes 50 gallons of gas (55.6 x .90 = 50.4) to go 1000 miles plus 5 gallons of ethanol.

This saves oil HOW? Should we not be a little unhappy about this?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #8

You're not suggesting this was a profit deal by people who grow corn and make ethanol are you?
Old 07-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
You're not suggesting this was a profit deal by people who grow corn and make ethanol are you?

Well I'm not sure, but the fact gasoline is one of our largest exports........who knows
Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #10

If you store your motorhome for more than 3 months without using it I would put the ethanol free gas in it , there is the fuel separation and water absorbsion issue that occurs with ethanol that also has to be dealt with. Ethanol creates big problems for the entire recreation industry, the government and politics has pushed another one down our throats.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #11

One other point - what about the generator (if you have one). The operator's handbook on my Onan (a 2001 or 2 build) says not to use gasoline with ethanol added. That would be fine if the genny had its own tank, but it draws from the MH tank like most others.

The nearest station to home selling ethanol free gas is 20 miles away, so I'd burn off 6 gallons for a round trip to gas up. It's not an area of town we normally go through. On our trips, I don't see non-ethanol gas stations very frequently. I am planning to put a shut-off valve in the generator's gas line and run the carb dry whenever we put the MH away for more than a couple of weeks.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
One other point - what about the generator (if you have one). The operator's handbook on my Onan (a 2001 or 2 build) says not to use gasoline with ethanol added. That would be fine if the genny had its own tank, but it draws from the MH tank like most others.

The nearest station to home selling ethanol free gas is 20 miles away, so I'd burn off 6 gallons for a round trip to gas up. It's not an area of town we normally go through. On our trips, I don't see non-ethanol gas stations very frequently. I am planning to put a shut-off valve in the generator's gas line and run the carb dry whenever we put the MH away for more than a couple of weeks.
The other option is to drain the fuel when you park. My salesman showed me a small screw that I can loosen and the remaining gas in the onan will drain out of a brass fitting. I simply hook up a piece of surgical tubing there, turn the screw, drain, and then tighten the screw back up and stow the tube for next time. I also use Sea Foam additive...
Old 07-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #13

I'm aware of that screw, but I don't trust it to get the fuel residue off the float-valve seat. I'd rather let the engine suck everything out.

I think varnish deposit on the inlet to the float bowl is what's giving me the grief at the moment.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #14

I just use Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer during long term storage. Out of all my toys, motorhome with gen and lawn equip, I have never had a fuel issue. In fact I just spent all day on one of my jetskis that have been sitting since last Aug. I installed the battery, ran it outside to verify everything was good and filled up the tank. It was about 1/2 full (or 1/2 empty depending on your outlook on things). It ran strong the entire day and never missed a beat.