Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #43
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
We had a good one and it did involve our mutt. Very first trip with our fiver, we pulled in for fuel and a take out breakfast. I finished filling and pulled away from the pumps while waiting for DW to return with bagels and coffee. Without thinking, I got out and closed the door. I realized my error about a micro millisecond too late, dumb dawg had jumped on the door switch. Keys in the ignition and her purse on the seat.
What to do? I managed to pop the cab rear slider open, boy those things are REALLY secure, and she asked a tall skinny kid for assistance. He wriggled through the opening and retrieved the keys with helpful mutt licking his face. I was very careful with the keys after that.
I have locked myself out too many times to count, but there is a spare key duct taped to the inside of my water heater access door.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #44

Getting ready to leave an RV park I started the CRV and ran it through the gears, put in park, did some other things such as disconnect shore power, then got in the RV and pulled turning to the right of the (fortunately gravel) space. I said to my wife "I need to let this diesel warm up a bit it seems to lack power". That was at the same time I looked at the mirror and saw the furrows the front wheels of the CRV were leaving in the gravel. Wasn't like that in the good old days before memory started hiding! Now I have check lists and use them when I can find them.
Safe Travels
Bob

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #45

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Now I have check lists and use them when I can find them.
Safe Travels
Bob
Ah yes, the answer to all my problems, now if I could just remember where I put that darn checklist...

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #46
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
While we are all confessing toad issues -- I need to put a sign on my tow bar to remind me to put the emergency brake on in my toad BEFORE I disconnect. It seems to want to roll away when in neutral. Must look funny to see me holding onto my toad and trying to get to the driver's door, LOL. Thankfully it only weighs 1840 pounds.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
Have a 2008 Monaco Knight and I pull a Honda CRV. Well, I stopped on my way to Asheville to let the dog out at a rest stop. I went over and started the engine on the Honda. Ran it thru the gears and put it back into neutral. Charged the battery a bit and ran fluid into the transmission. Well, I forgot to turn the engine off.

Got to my camp and heard a noise when I went back to disconnect the car heard the engine running with the doors locked. Got my extra key and took care of the car. Car seems fine.

Has anyone ever done this?

Steve
Just did the same thing. When my wife said that I left the car running on our days journey, I couldn't believe it.
I now leave the CR-V's door open when I'm warming the transmission for the days trip.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #48

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I have locked myself out too many times to count, but there is a spare key duct taped to the inside of my water heater access door.

Hmm, good to know, Barb...

Oh, and I think the original saying was that God looks out for drunks and fools... if you add RVérs, I'm TRIPLE blessed!
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Possible hanky alert -- Some years ago, our aged German Shepherd, Sammy, 'went hunting' with my husband. She was just along to be with him, not really hunt deer and elk. She was hard of hearing, and didn't see well by then. He stopped before heading deeper into the mountains to let her out, check the horses in the trailer etc and then headed on up the road. It was a little later he realized Sammy was not in the motorhome. So, with heavy heart, he retraced his steps to see if he could find Sammy. There she sat by the side of the road, right where he'd let her out, waiting for him.

It was her last trip. A few months later she went to the Rainbow bridge to wait.

JoAnn
Old 03-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
NAH!!!! Not yet anyway. Of course if I leave the motor running when it's on the dolly then there will be something seriously wrong with me. I did leave the parking brake on once though. Had a trucker flag me down. No serious damage but the car interior smelled a little funny for a few days.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #51

Once at a KOA near Acadia Natl. Pk. in Maine, after parking, I unhooked the Honda Civic and realized too late that I had failed to put the car in park or apply the emergency brake. We were parked on a slight grade and, as soon as I disconnected the tow bar, the Civic began rolling toward the MH (and me). I couldn't stop it and had to let it ease into the MH (I got out of the way just before getting pinned). No damage except to my ego. Fortunately, there were no witnesses. Still haven't told the DW. Needless to say, I learned my lesson and always now apply the emegency brake before disconnecting. / Larry
Old 03-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to retiredmsgt2
I'll bet the people you passed really admire that little car for pushing so bag of an RV...and at idle, too.
retiredmsgt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #53

Also, you should not drive away from your site until the shore power cord is disconnected! I just tried to do that. But as someone posted earlier that God looks out for we that are infirmed.
My neighbors on the curb side were sitting outside and noticed what I was doing, and they jumped up and yanked out the cord. Talk about good neighbors and me being lucky. WOW, all I did was drag the cord about five feet before my DW honked the toads horn to get my attention and I stopped.
Of course I was red faced, embarrased, and thanked the neighbors for their good deed. Made the rest of the trip without any problems.
CarlGeo
Old 03-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #54

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As others have already stated, I too left the toad running in neutral for the day.
I wasn't really worried about how much gas it used, my main concern was what if I had run over a road hazard and damaged the radiator. I thank my lucky stars,
new engines aren't cheap.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #55

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealevel Ram View Post
Haven't done that (yet), but I have stopped for lunch, turned on the generator for MW use, and forgot to turn it off before starting off again.
No harm done, except for fuel, and feeling stupid.
Lots of people run the generator while driving down the road. We do it sometimes, others do it all the time.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Lots of people run the generator while driving down the road. We do it sometimes, others do it all the time.
Yes, I do that also, but this time I did not have anything running, so it was a complete waste.