Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #71

Yep. Also CRV. We (as it is both of our responsibility to cross check each other before heading out) drove just under 5 hours before stopping at the request of the dog! No harm, and have not done it since!!

I also did a real super back in job our second time out in our then new to us T28 Bounder. My wife was watching out for me in the back, and I just kept easing it back, then stopped when by the mirrors and back camera things looked right. My wife complemented me when I got out of rig, on what a good eye I had stopping so close the tree limb with the rear ladder. I HAD SEEN THE TREE, BUT NOT THE LIMB! We then reviewed out 'standard work instructions' while backing, and added "LOOK UP!" AND PERSON ON THE GROUND HAS FULL "STOP" AUTHORITY!! I still do 95% of our driving and backing up, but I've also added a get out and walk the area step before backing. Amazing what I've found by doing this, that I would not have seen. (Pieces of pipe/rebar was the close one.)

Yep, we have had our 'moments' too... All part of the experience.... And yes, sometimes my lights don't twinkle also!

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #72
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I solo RV, so no spotter to help me avoid unseen dangers. I creep back and have kissed many a tree limb, but no trees have been damaged and only 1 small corner ding... so far. Never could make it without the backup camera.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
I want to disable my steering lock! How do you do it?
You might want to start a new thread on this subject. I bet the bad guys know the tricks of the stolen car trade.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not the same thing but related. I bought a new Toyota 5+ years ago and since real men don't read manuals.. I go to walmart. Arm full of goodies I get to the car, hit the unlock button and open the glass part of the rear hatch. I dropped the keys on the floor because I couldn't get to my pocket. Put all bags inside. Closed glass. CLICK... the locks engaged.
It turned out there was an automatic lock after , I think it was 20 seconds, delay if you didn't open a door after using the key fob unlock button. The glass hatch was not wired into that "open door' thing, it had to be the whole hatch or one of the main doors...
So I ended up waiting a few hours until I could get ahold of someone who had access to the spare key ....
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #75

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner

You might want to start a new thread on this subject. I bet the bad guys know the tricks of the stolen car trade.
Got it done. I think I will be less likely to have it stolen with the steering unlocked and no key vs leaving a key in the ignition.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #76
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
Got it done. I think I will be less likely to have it stolen with the steering unlocked and no key vs leaving a key in the ignition.
My Smart Car has a chip in the key fob that is required to start it. I removed the battery from my spare key, disabling the chip. This is the key that I leave in the ignition while towing. I also throw something over the ignition, which is between the seats, to hide the key. But I really don't think there are many car thieves wanting Smart Cars.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #77

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can add my share of oops to this thread. Most recently in an Escapee park we decided to have the coach corner weighed. While waiting for the weigh crew to arrive, we hooked up the car, got distracted when the crew arrived. When they asked me to pull forward onto the scales I wondered why it was taking so much throttle. Left some drag marks on the new concrete level pad with the front tires on the tow'd.

Have only left the engine running while towing down the road once - so far.

I usually push the car back to lock the towbar with my legs, this avoids leaving it in gear or parking brake on. Have failed to do that one other time (see above) when DW was NOT with me and eldest son was with me for his first trip on the coach. He helped me set up - oops -flat spots on four recent tires - made for some interesting driving until I had to replace them.

No need to recount the other stupid things we have done in 140,000 miles of RVing. We have done almost everything anyone else has reported at least once. Where is that check list?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Tow Dolly Learning Curve

OK, I gues it's my turn to confess.

Last summer, during our first extended trip in a Motorhome, we dediced to use the tow dolly approach with a PT Cruiser convertible in tow behind our 35' Dutch Star. Keep in mind that I am not new to tow vehicles and trailers, since we have owned two other travel trailers over the years and I grew up pulling boats all over East Texas, so I knew how to do this thing - or so I thought.

When we stopped for gas on our third day on the road - at a Sam's Club in Oklahoma City no less - I decided to pull "close to the gas pump on the left" since the combination of short fuel hoses and a fuel tank door that is mounted well away from the left side - directly on the back of the Dutch Star. The fuel pump and the fuel door needed to be "close" together, right? With the fueling process complete, I proceeded to pull out of the station and begin my Right Turn to clear the narrow turning isles at this location, "Knowing" that the dolly and trusty PT would follow me everywhere I went. One thing I forgot to consider is that when the front wheels turn right, the hitch - - - way back there - - - goes "LEFT". When the hitch goes "LEFT", so does the tongue of the tow dolly. Furthermore, the tires on the dolly also turn in the direction of the tongue - - -"LEFT"! Then the "LEFT Tire on the Dolly" proceeded to climb the little concrete island adjacent to the gas pump. I thought it was taking a lot more power to pull away from the pump than it took to pull in, so I decided to stop and check it out.

Now for the solution to this little dilemma. 1) Unhook the tie down chains from the tow dolly to the PT, 2) Disconnect the lights from the PT, 3) Release the tow straps on both front tires (with a bit of effort I might add), 4) Back the PT off of the tow dolly (at a very awkward angle, disregarding all of the extra popping and squeeking that had not been ther earlier), 5) Disconnect the tow dolly from the RV hitch, 6) Pull the RV out of the stall and park it in a straight line (for a quick exit), 7) Reconnect the tow dolly to the RV hitch (aftery pulling it about 50 yards away from the pumps) 8) Reload the PT onto the tow dolly, 9) Recheck all of the connections, 10) Pull away (as if nothing had happened)! Time for a "quick" fuel stop at Sam's in Oklahoma City = 1 hour and 17 minutes in 110 degree heat in early June.

Note to Self: Check the entry AND exit clearance before pulling into a gas station!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #79

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3cpilot View Post

Last summer, during our first extended trip in a Motorhome, we dediced to use the tow dolly approach with a PT Cruiser convertible in tow behind our 35' Dutch Star. Keep in mind that I am not new to tow vehicles and trailers, since we have owned two other travel trailers over the years and I grew up pulling boats all over East Texas, so I knew how to do this thing - or so I thought.

When we stopped for gas on our third day on the road - at a Sam's Club in Oklahoma City no less - I decided to pull "close to the gas pump on the left" since the combination of short fuel hoses and a fuel tank door that is mounted well away from the left side - directly on the back of the Dutch Star. The fuel pump and the fuel door needed to be "close" together, right? With the fueling process complete, I proceeded to pull out of the station and begin my Right Turn to clear the narrow turning isles at this location, "Knowing" that the dolly and trusty PT would follow me everywhere I went. One thing I forgot to consider is that when the front wheels turn right, the hitch - - - way back there - - - goes "LEFT". When the hitch goes "LEFT", so does the tongue of the tow dolly. Furthermore, the tires on the dolly also turn in the direction of the tongue - - -"LEFT"! Then the "LEFT Tire on the Dolly" proceeded to climb the little concrete island adjacent to the gas pump. I thought it was taking a lot more power to pull away from the pump than it took to pull in, so I decided to stop and check it out.

Now for the solution to this little dilemma. 1) Unhook the tie down chains from the tow dolly to the PT, 2) Disconnect the lights from the PT, 3) Release the tow straps on both front tires (with a bit of effort I might add), 4) Back the PT off of the tow dolly (at a very awkward angle, disregarding all of the extra popping and squeeking that had not been ther earlier), 5) Disconnect the tow dolly from the RV hitch, 6) Pull the RV out of the stall and park it in a straight line (for a quick exit), 7) Reconnect the tow dolly to the RV hitch (aftery pulling it about 50 yards away from the pumps) 8) Reload the PT onto the tow dolly, 9) Recheck all of the connections, 10) Pull away (as if nothing had happened)! Time for a "quick" fuel stop at Sam's in Oklahoma City = 1 hour and 17 minutes in 110 degree heat in early June.

Note to Self: Check the entry AND exit clearance before pulling into a gas station!
Can't remember where and DW was at the wheel, but we were snug left to fuel and needed to go sharp right to use the driveway rather than the curb. DW was afraid I would stand in traffic if I got down to guide her. Replaced all the trim and repainted the driver side of the tow'd (less than a year old) when we got home.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66

I want to disable my steering lock! How do you do it?
Don't know if anyone answered this or not but here goes; start the engine, put the car in neutral, and turn the ignition to off. Don't move the key after this or you'll have to start over. If you just want a little slack in the steering, move the seat forward and pull the seat belt through the steering wheel and buckle it. This will keep it running straight but allow for enough flex to take the strain off.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3cpilot View Post

Yikes!! During our last trip (which was our first road trip with the toad), we had to pull out of more than one gas station without fuel when it became apparent that we could not maneuver into the fueling lanes without serious "exit" issues. LOL!! I also worry about moho tail swing since our Bounder has a long overhang. Then there's the 8" drop hitch that always scrapes the driveway....ARGH. RVing is always an adventure!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #82

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcor View Post
Don't know if anyone answered this or not but here goes; start the engine, put the car in neutral, and turn the ignition to off. Don't move the key after this or you'll have to start over. If you just want a little slack in the steering, move the seat forward and pull the seat belt through the steering wheel and buckle it. This will keep it running straight but allow for enough flex to take the strain off.
Depends on the vehicle. On '05 Toyota RAV4 (our tow'd) Turn key to run position. Turn key back to OFF and leave in the ignition, steering column lock is not enabled until the key is removed. Do not depend on this method for other cars as they are all different. Read your owner's manual.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #83

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two things that I seen on our last trip out.
The first was in the morning and a lot of travelers where getting under way. I was getting my 5th wheel ready to go and talking to my neighbour and watching the many rigs leave the park one after the other. Look at that, this guy has not put down his TV antenna on his 5th wheel. So i started to chase after him shouting and waving and pointing at his antenna, all I got for my efforts was a disgusted look from this guy as he pulled away. I guess at probably 13 ft tall 5th wheel and 3 1/2 foot tall antenna, 16 1/2 feet total, he hopefully figured out what I was waving at before he went to far as many of the over passes I seen in the area where only 14'9" equals no TV antenna. Add to Check List "put down TV antenna".

The other thing I seen ended up a lot better. In another RV Park my neighbour was dumping his waste water from his MH. The parking spots in this park are very close together so space is very tight and the hook ups are protected by metal poles stuck in to the concrete. My neighbour could not get into one of his basement bins because he was parked just inches from one of the poles. Easy Fix, just jump in the MH and back up 10". Tough part, remember to bring up the rams on the leveling system. This is where a good neighbour comes in and raps on the side of your rig just before put your rig in gear and rip your leveling gear out. A little embarrassed and very appreciative neighbour, but no damage to rig.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have seen LOTS of antennas up, driving down the highway.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote