Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was at Leo Carillo Beach in Ca. when I saw this fellow pull out of his campsite with his Sat Dish up. I jumped in my car, got behind him and started blowing my horn and pointing up to his roof.. He stuck his arm out the window and flipped me off. Oooppss. 10 feet down the camp road off came the Dish with some of his roof.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #86
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I was at Leo Carillo Beach in Ca. when I saw this fellow pull out of his campsite with his Sat Dish up. I jumped in my car, got behind him and started blowing my horn and pointing up to his roof.. He stuck his arm out the window and flipped me off. Oooppss. 10 feet down the camp road off came the Dish with some of his roof.
Karma is a *itch.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #87

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66

I want to disable my steering lock! How do you do it?
I did a pictoral writeup when i disabled mine, should be findablee, here or the other site
Old 04-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #88

I went 170 miles of a 200 mile trip with my antenna up on my 5er before someone in at an intersections yelled at me. I now move a clothespin from my antenna crank to my key or shift lever. Now, I just have to remember why it's there. CRS, ya know. I put second clothespin in m MH, but I already forget why I put it there.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #89

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tried that, but I ran out of clothespins

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
Just last week left the campsite with the door awning open. Dw noticed it waving in the wind a mile down the road. Hit the button,nuttin. Stopped and hit the button, nuttin again.
Pulled off the road, checked the fuse, unhooked the jeep and pulled it up to use as a ladder.

Remembered the awnings are interlocked. Shut dowm the cummins, retracted the awning, hooked the jeep back up, and got back on our way.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Just last week left the campsite with the door awning open. Dw noticed it waving in the wind a mile down the road. Hit the button,nuttin. Stopped and hit the button, nuttin again.
Pulled off the road, checked the fuse, unhooked the jeep and pulled it up to use as a ladder.

Remembered the awnings are interlocked. Shut dowm the cummins, retracted the awning, hooked the jeep back up, and got back on our way.
Oh ya, I forgot that one.
I left a campground after checking everything, headfing down a country lane headed for an interstate.
I was passing a fellow on a bicycle when I heard this awful BANG. Dear Lord, I thought I somehow had run over the poor guy. Of course my first reaction was to hit the gas and get outta there. JUST KIDDING !!
I stopped with my heart in my throat and to my surprise , here comes the guy on the bike rideing by.
Well low and behold I had left the door awning out and the crash was the awning flapping around. Won't do that again.
And you wonder why your hair turns gray ?
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #92
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It seems like at least once a day I give thanks for being spared from the disasterous consequences of my own forgetfulness or stupidity. Hence, the recently added last line of my signiture block.

A friend has a favorite saying at those times when she realizes she escaped some disaster. "There is a (supreme being of your choice)* and She does love me."

* I didn't want to break the rules by posting something forbidden.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #93

Pulling a rear disk brake equipped Jeep Wrangler from Orlando to Atlanta with the e-brake up will not only ruin the e-brake shoes but also the rear axle seals.... E-brake shoes, axle seals and bearings are not cheap.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #94

Carolina Campers
Not me, but my son-in-law. My wife had accepted a travel nurse assignment and my soninlaw volunteered to go pick up the MH while I was out of town on business from the storage lot and bring it to the house. He decided to check things out for (big mistake, he has little RV experience). While "checking out" the generator by starting it from the driver's seat he didn't realize it had started and he kept the starter switch pushed. Yep, stripped the gears off of the starter. Lesson learned by the wife, don't let someone who doesn't know what they are doing mess with the RV!
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #95

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
My oops happened with our first RV. DH and I with two girls had a three week cross country trip planned with reservations at KOAs from East to West and return. A few days before planned departure DH was sent overseas. We had a new BMW 535 and a new Pop-up. I mention the BMW only because according to the dealer BMWs tow boats, but not pop-ups and refused to put the hitch on. I decided to continue with the trip anyway. After one quick lesson on towing said vehicle, he flew to Italy and we started out on the adventure of a lifetime.

After much on the job learning we arrived at our stop somewhere in the mid-West. The next morning was a Sunday and pre-cell phones. Hooked up as usual and started out. After an hour or so all the fuses on the Beamer had blown. Pulled into the gas station somewhere in the middle of Nevada. I had not hooked up the power cord to the trailer. The subsequent dragging on the pavement exposed the copper. The gas station only had a teenager running the station. After not being able to find any electrical tape he left the station and ran home to get his fathers tape. He very nice gentleman that had just arrived from Mexico repaired the wiring replaced the fuses for me and the only cost - I offered to pay - he only wanted a can of 50 cent Coke. This was 25 years ago. No one locked anything or worried about anything being stolen.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #96

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine was when I forgot to take out the pin support from our fiver. Backed into it with the tail gate down on our new Dodge Laramie. New tail gate was required!
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #97

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New one for me. We gat to the RV Park after driving all day and getting things set up. DW loves to help and make everything go faster, untill she needs help. I was starting to hook up the water and she calls me to help her, so I hook up the hose realy quick and go see what she needs, TV wont work (plug and outlet isue, easy fix) I go out and turn on the water. Now she says theres a huming behind a wall, ok listen, not sure what it is try unpluging power, thats not it, plug back ing turn stuff of and on, thats not it. Oh crap, I know what it is. Run out side turn off the water. It was pluged into the black water flush. black water tank now almost full (ok, realy full). Its now DW decides to turn on the water heater. I find out an hour later thats its on propane. Should be on electric. Nope, the breakers is triped but not before the coils burnt itself out. Leaving it on propane forever now.
Now my set up plan is, IS NEED A NEW SET UP PLAN.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #98

Country Coach Owners Club
First Disaster - On the Dealer's Lot

Have you ever experienced something, and something in your gut tells you "this is a bigger problem that you just aren't getting?"

I'm at a dealer's lot after lots of emails and telphone conversations to check out this very $$$$$$$$$ used coach. I drive up to see the coaches all parked side to side, the one I'm interested in is the 2nd one in line. Also notice that immediately behind them someone's pulled in another 45" coach, parked perpendicular across the back.

We do the walk around the exterior, which is flawless, and I even comment about the lack of a ladder on the rear. We go to enter the coach...and the door refuses to open. 2nd try...3rd try. Dealer is dying . Goes around to an underside compartment and fiddles around...comes back and literally claws the door open. This is that moment we both should have stopped and questioned what was going on....nahhhhh!!!

I can't remember why, but I remember for some reason we dumped all the air. Then, shortly after that we started the engine. As the engine is running we pull in the two salon slides...then the driver's bedroom slid. While he's focused on the interior of the coach as he pulls in the curbside bedroom slide, I happen to look out the window...

Have you ever had that feeling in your car, while totally stopped at a light while a car right next to you pulls forward that you're actually going backward? Well, I looked out and saw the MH next to use slowly moving forward very cautiously. I watched it for a second and then casually commented to the dealer "Gee, it looks like someone is taking the MH next to us out for a spin."
  • He looks up at me
  • He looks out the window
  • His eyes turn into the biggest saucers you've ever seen
  • He bolts 45' to the front of the coach like his life depended on it! Where he jams his foot on the brake.
  • ???? What happened? Before I can ask, he says very quietly "Did you feel it stop before I hit the brakes or after?"
  • Now I'm really confused.
  • And with that he bolts out the door racing to the rear of the coach.
Naturally I follow him out...and find this very expensive coach has rolled backwards...only to be stopped by another coach that was parked perpendicular to this one. We both gasp. And then...almost in a whisper, he says "It would be bad enough if that other coach was ours, but that's a customer's coach that was just left for service" We both had the same first thought...

I'm still really confused (but quickly thinking ~ I don't think this is going to be a good coach for me!). We really can't see much...but we've got to assess the damage, so he gets back in the coach and slowly pulls it forward. The further forward he pulls it, the more I can see and the sunlight hits right where I need to see...and I start laughing. Harder and harder

What are the odds? Unlike most coaches, this one's most prominent point was at a somewhat unusual spot and completely rounded. That point happened to match p-e-r-f-e-c-t-l-y with a rolled up outside awning that this client's coach just happened to have installed along the entire driver's side of the coach!

Not a mark on either coach (just think of what would have happened if there'd been a rear ladder!!!)

We're delerious with relief. But what really happened?!?!

The dealer turns to me and has a sudden realization. Then he starts laughing all over again. "We should have stopped when we had an issue with the door. The coach's door has a safety feature, which I overrode. If the emergency brake isn't on..it won't open. When we dumped the air, the brakes automatically locked on...but we left the engine running...which ran the compresser. And in the time it took us to pull in all the slides, we reach full air, unlocking the brakes, and this lot has a very slight grade...and clearly the rolling resistance on these 365 series tires are quote low.... Clearly the lot boy forgot to set the brake and they drive with the door open a lot"

So that was my very first "oops" in a very expensive motorhome...hitting another expensive motorhome...neither of which I owned!