Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #57
Community Administrator

It's also bad for the generator, so you qualify for the thread.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #58

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall
It's also bad for the generator, so you qualify for the thread.
Bad for the generator?

When it's over 100 the dash air can not keep up. We run the generator almost all the time we're driving during the summer to run at least one and sometimes two of the a/c units. How would running the generator while you're driving be bad for it?
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #59
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO

Bad for the generator?

When it's over 100 the dash air can not keep up. We run the generator almost all the time we're driving during the summer to run at least one and sometimes two of the a/c units. How would running the generator while you're driving be bad for it?
He was running it without a load.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #60

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall

He was running it without a load.
Yep, now I get it.
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #61

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just happend to me two days ago. We came across the ferrie from Victoria to Port Angeles. The coustoms agent asked to pull over so he could check out the trailer to see if we had anything we souldnt have. the only place to park was on the side of the street. It just so happend that there was a big storm drain right under one of the out side storage doors and when I went to lock it after the agent check in there my trailer keys jumped right out of my hand and down the storm drain. GRRRR. I was able to fish the out with my flash light that has a teloscoping handle and a magnet ($12 at Marks Wherhouse, just paid for its self). All worked out but tense there for a few minutes.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #62

Excellent stories all. So now its time for a cat story. We stopped late one nite in a Walmart to rest. We never put out the slides at a WM. While we were sleeping, our dear cat decided to check out the top of the slide by jumping up on the back of the driver seat, then on top of the slide. She then proceeded to go all the way to the rear of the slide and jump down on the floor. Now, the slide is in, she cant get back up, and the flange made the exit to the living room area too thin for her to get through. After some time I figured i could open the window on the back end of the slide (now facing the rear living room wall) and almost reach her collar. Of course, until I scented my fingers with some tuna she squatted down just out of reach. I finally got her out. So now we jam a foam pillow into the top of the slide over the drivers seat to keep her out.

So now we get to the forgetting part...it wasnt long until i forgot to (yep) take the foam pillow out while the slide was going out. Its pretty hard to get a foam pillow out after its been pulled through the slide space by that electric motor! So now "pillow check" is on the checklist too.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #63

no but

No, but parked overnight in a gravel pit where my brother worked. Truck traffic was a little heavy the next morning when we started to leave. One of the trucker coming in to fill go on the CB and said I probably should check the toad as the front tires weren't rotating. Dad gumit!!
helendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #64

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkersRanch

Ugh, I was not going to own up to the fact I did almost the exact same thing. But, . . I put the key in the Jeep, before I pulled out from the house, but I forgot to turn it. Jeep steering locked at the first turn. Mine was so far off straight I didn't make it another block and had to stop. I had the coach steering wheel over a half turn from normal straight ahead position. Did just like you and checked the front of the coach but finding nothing I moved on to the back and as I got to the back I saw the key in the Jeep and remembered I forgot to turn it.

I took care of that possibility a couple of days ago and disabled the Jeep steering lock. Only took about 20 minutes. Now I don't have to leave the key in the ignition anymore.
I want to disable my steering lock! How do you do it?
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #65

Rear End Slammer

I was so green to RVing last spring. When I was trained to use my all wheels down tow bars the dealer told me to hook to my CRV then drive forward and swing left and right with my Class A RV until the arms locked! I did that for about a month and it wasn't an issue if I started off on a flat surface.

Things got interesting when I had taken my RV to my dealer for service about a month after getting it. When they were done they left my RV on a slanted surface that exits the RV dealership. I pulled my CRV behind and connected my tow bars the whole time thinking the bars would lock when I drove forward.

I drive the RV forward out of the dealership and stop for traffic before turning and then BAM! my CRV bangs into the rear of the RV because the arms were not locked. Then quickly pulled out hoping that the arm will lock and the CRV keeps banging into the rear of my RV as I drive down the road!!!

I quickly pull off to the side of the road thinking that I destroyed the rear of my RV and the front of the CRV. But to my delight all looked OK. I locked the arms by driving left and right in a parking lot.

I later call Roadmaster and sent pictures to make sure I did not harm the hitch or the tow bar. The tech reassured that the tow kit is built for mistakes like mine. He also taught me how to attach my car and gently put my CRV in reverse to lock the arms BEFORE I pull out. I do that from now on.

Oh brother.
RVMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #66

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
I felt like an idiot when this happened. Dog was with me and I think I was preoccupied with him. Next time, no dog with me when doing is.

Steve
I haven't, but I've come close. We used to tow a CRV, moved to a Ford Edge, and now tow a GMC pickup. One thing I have learned is to not let anyone interrupt or distract me, and even though I've done it often, I still have the owner's manual in front of me and go line by line. The one time I got out of the CRV with it still running, someone came up and began chatting to me about the car. I have learned not to let kids, bystanders, or anything interrupt me. I STILL spend a few minutes when we start out on a trip obsessing over whether I did it right. DH's last question to me when we start off is always, "is it in neutral?"
Old 04-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators View Post
Still haven't told the DW. Needless to say, I learned my lesson and always now apply the emegency brake before disconnecting. / Larry
Your story is safe with us... ah, what's your wife's email address again?

Some great stories and reminders here; sure glad I've never done anything like these. Yeah, right...
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #68

Great stories. Thanks. By the way. I am in a park in Hendersonville, nc. Today a guy begins to leave and is pulling a pickup. Well, the truck had its brake on. Dug some big ruts before he realized what he did. He got out and and released the brake and repaired the pad. He avoided any eye contact with anyone. Funny!

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #69

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
Great stories. Thanks. By the way. I am in a park in Hendersonville, nc. Today a guy begins to leave and is pulling a pickup. Well, the truck had its brake on. Dug some big ruts before he realized what he did. He got out and and released the brake and repaired the pad. He avoided any eye contact with anyone. Funny!

Steve
If we weren't all laughing so hard at him, he probably would have looked up and smiled!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #70
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Okay after 69 other posts and people admitting stupidity left right and centre, I feel safe to chime in.

I don't need no stinking toad to screw up and smell burning brakes. I can arrive at the same odor by driving with my coach emergency brakes left on.

And......to make sure I remember what that smell is like, I made sure I've done it twice. Duh!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote