Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've found, over the last 50+ years that the size/cost of the rig isn't as important as the floor plan and if the spouse likes it.
We had as much or even more fun with our first motorhome (1988 17' Type B) as we have with the latest one. I love driving the Magna, but the DW isn't totally in love with the floor plan but did say she liked it now. Guess it just took a while to get used to the new switch and furniture locations. Although we did just take out the StressLess leather recliner and put in a cloth La Z Boy recliner rocker.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #16

My 2cents.

I agree with the posters that suggested layout is first and then I'd go for a good one a couple of years old. Just took my girlfriend who is new to RVing on a two week trip to Boston, Maine coast and Canada and now she is a convert and loves it. Its the people you meet along the way and the sights you see. I have a '13 32ft gas MH and love it. I don't tow a car yet but do have a tow dolly to do it in the future. For now if I stay somewhere for a few days I rent a car. The rest of the time I pull into parking lots and haven't had any problems. In one small village on the coast went to a restaurant on the water and ended up staying in the marina parking lot next door. Seems the folks that owned the marina also owned the restaurant and invited us to stay as long as we wanted. RVers are a friendly lot. Walk by with coffee or something and they'll naturally start chatting. They'll help you fix anything and give you perfect directions how to do it. Starting out I wouldn't go super big yet. Get used to the lifestyle and then you can move up if you feel its necessary. Enjoy. We've all been where you are and are still here.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #17

All good things come with a price, Rving is great, so the price of admission is a little higher....
Old 09-07-2015, 09:53 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
I personally would not purchase a new coach, especially for the first one. According to Lazydays, the average Class A is traded in after 15 months! New to RVing, you will likely be trading once you live with one for awhile. Save the depreciation and purchase a clean, late model used rig of your choice. It won't hurt nearly so much when you trade in a few years! Enjoy the experience. My 2.
Guess we're not "average" then!
Kept first MH 9 yrs. (purchased new)
Second was about 1 year. (purchased new)
Third was 1 years (purchased new)
Fourth was 2 years (purchased new)
Fifth was 2 years (purchased new)
Sixth was 13 years. (purchased new)
And the 7th (and last) we've only had just less than 6 months.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:00 PM   #19

In a place like this most of the problems turn up but few of the all fun, no sweat adventures. It's like any activity where the memorable issue is the big fish, rainy day, or whatever that highlighted your activity. We discuss problems to disperse knowledge about how to fix them. We don't need to teach folks to have fun!

I would not make any changes after a test drive for a month living and a thousand miles. If things still are a problem then we have solutiions. As others have said, most people don't need the solutions but some folks cannot leave things alone. There is even a thread about that. ;-)

I would also suggest it is folly to think you will buy your last RV on the first try no matter how much you read and look. Until you start living in a unit you really do not learn how it works. After one or two you find out what really matters to you and her. Nobody else counts. It is what the two of you are comfortable with. Buy used and plan on trading. It will soften the blow.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:14 PM   #20

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post

I would also suggest it is folly to think you will buy your last RV on the first try no matter how much you read and look. Until you start living in a unit you really do not learn how it works. After one or two you find out what really matters to you and her. Nobody else counts. It is what the two of you are comfortable with. Buy used and plan on trading. It will soften the blow.
Concur...

We are on our 2nd class A in in fifteen years, and are already talking about the next one...
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:43 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Buying the first RV is always stressful enough to make everyone wonder if they are doing the right thing. It's normal. Take your time, think things through with attention to what you really need. Don't let all the glitz take over. Make a list of what is important to you, and soon you will be ready to pull the trigger.

We still have days when we doubt size, brand or style. They aren't perfect, but they can bring some wonderful trips and memories, at your own pace. We just got back from an Alaskan Cruise, and found ourselves wishing we were in our RV, away from crowds and further out in the wild. Sometimes we are made fun of by friends who don't understand why we chose RV vacations. So far we have enjoyed it so much you just can't explain it!
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:23 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Everything is starting to really create second thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrf View Post
My wife and I have been looking into RV'ng for the past couple of years........have been all over these RV forums and am now getting very nervous..........What am I getting myself into?

Jim..... Couple of points: any RV is a large, complex machine. On such machines things break from time to time. And you fix them. It's what you do. And it's not very often, if you've bought a reliable brand.

These fora, like newspapers, are collection points for problems. People rarely post that things are going well-- though they usually are-- just as newspapers rarely carry articles about the 12,000 U.S. airline flights every single day that go off without a hitch.

Regarding buying all these stabilizers and sway bars and such things-- you've read the forum for a while, and I've read it for over three years. Frankly, I am at a loss to understand why anyone who has done a modicum of checking would buy any mid-30s length motor home on an F53 chassis. It seems that the majority of owners have to buy hundreds of dollars worth of after market suspension add-ons just to make the things drivable, and they consider this normal and acceptable. And yet, people keep buying them! I find it confusing.

I would advise a used DP.

Good luck with your choice!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:44 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrf View Post
My wife and I have been looking into RV'ng for the past couple of years. We have narrowed it down to 2 RV's one based on if we go with Diesel, that would be the Winnebago Forza 36G and one if we go with gas, that would be the Georgetown XL 386, my wife really likes the layout. However over the past couple of weeks I have been all over these RV forums and am now getting very nervous. All I read about are issues with the coaches, additional things I need to purchase and have installed -- sway bars, stabilizers, etc. What am I getting myself into?
Maybe it's good to have second thoughts; an RV is a big purchase and a commitment. I don't know of anyone who has purchased a new or used RV and hasn't had some problem with it...whether big or small. It is helpful if you have some mechanical aptitude and willingness to learn about the systems in an RV. If not, have plenty of funds because RVing is expensive, especially when something goes wrong.

We have a 2012 gasser on the Ford F53 chassis it rides and handles very well. We have not added any suspension parts; it's stock. We had it 4-corner weighed shortly after we bought it, and keep our tires inflated correctly...that's all it takes. Some people love to tweak and mod; that's just what they like to do.

Take your time with your choice. Test drive and see what you think. Spend lots of time in the potential purchase and try out everything... open all the drawers, check the bays, sit on the furniture, lie on the bed, stand in the shower, etc. If you have never RV'd, rent one for a week and see how you like it.

Good luck, and have fun. We have all been where you are; it's a big decision.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:06 AM   #24

Jim, having second thoughts means you are not going into it with blinders on. That's a good sign.
You can buy a WELL CARED FOR used high end diesel pusher for the same price or less than you can buy a brand new low end diesel pusher (and the bugs should be already be worked out). You have so much more power, quality, the side radiator (meaning you can get access to the engine thru the back), and you don't loose 20-25% of what you paid for it when you drive off the lot. If you buy it right you can sell it in a year or two and get all your money back if you change your mind. Try doing that with a new one! I would pick higher quality construction then "just the right floor plan" any day. A lot of what you can't see is more important than what you can see.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #25

(QUOTE)Also be aware that in a diesel DP when you want to run the generator overnight for sleeping with the AC on, it's noise and vibration is 30 feet away from you (in the front of the coach) ... In a gas chassis, the generator is under your bed while you are sleeping. (QUOTE)

Not always true. My gen is located just behind the driver. I have a gas MH. One of the reasons we picked this coach.

But it is one thing to look at, before you buy
Old 09-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #26

After four years with an '02 Georgetown 32-footer, sold last December, I wouldn't consider another one if I could afford a recent-year used diesel. GT is middle of the pack for quality and the F53 chassis is nowhere near the ride and handling qualities of a DP. It's also very noisy when driving, as the V-10 is a much higher-revving engine than the older V-8s and you're sitting right next to it.

The advice from "Griz bait" is on the money.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #27

We bought our first class A and it will be our last as we love it. No complaints after 2 years of ownership. No suspension mods needed but always adding extras to the inside just for fun.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #28

Have owned and maintained the same rv for over two decades and never had a major problem. The Ford chassis on our new Bay Star drives very well stock in my opinion, but then again I also liked the way the old Chev P30 drove, a chassis that most forum posters denigrate incessantly. I left the P30 stock and will do the same with the Ford.
I have found maintaining the gas rvs to be little different from anything I own. Never had a diesel, so have no ownership opinion in that area, other than I would rather invest the extra cost of purchase and use the growth of the investment to help pay for the maintenance of a gas rv.
DP owners love the advantages of their choice and are willing to pay for them, which is very understandable. For others the gas option is good enough, along with the less involved and familiar maintenance procedures. All of the above relates to a new purchase of either type, cost and comparisons in the used market are another story.
Like others have stated, drive both types, after all driving is a big part of the of the rv experience.

Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote