Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
It's fun reading all these replies. We love our RV. We drove several, and were surprised at the differences in handling and power. You gotta like driving the one you pick. If you pull a toad, you might be happier with a diesel pusher, unless maybe the newer gas engines can match the power. My wife and I love to travel in our MH, and we stop whenever and wherever we want, for as long as we want!
Happy RVing!

late starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #30

We've had and enjoyed a pop-up trailer, a travel trailer, two gas motor homes, and a diesel pusher. Enjoyed every one of them (and the tent we used before the pop-up). It's a great way to travel and enjoy the trip as much as the being there. Nothing like stopping on road closed to thru traffic beside a glacier covered mountain eating lunch by the window! Good advice so far: pick one with a floor plan you like, and look for one that is well maintained. They all have problems sooner or later, most of which you can take care of yourself. Welcome to the club.

jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #31

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hello and welcome! Boy do I know how you feel.. It can be overwhelming. But you will get great help here..We started RVing three years ago. Started with a 5th wheel and truck. Enjoyed it a lot but quickly decided we didn't like the set up, tear down process. We bought our 2005 Winnebago Journey DP in April of this year and just love it. We chose diesel over gas for power, and location of the engine. My hubs is a diesel fan.. But it's what you like that matters. Drive both!!!! Please don't let all the issues you read about scare you away.... There are great folks here thst will help you!!! I drive our coach as much as my hubs does!!! Embrace the adventure.. It's worth it!!

Happy travels!!
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #32

Most motor homes have an acceptable ride and will need nothing added to it for any safety or reliability reasons. A lot of what you read about people adding a sway bar or different shocks, or add-on air bags, etc is because they have had the coach for awhile and read some ad about a "upgrade" that someone else liked, so they get it too. It might improve something and it might not. When you select the coach you want, have the seller load it with fuel, fresh water and even something for more weight in the basement. Then you and your wife take it for a 50 to 75 mile drive. Some city, some interstate and 60 mph and some side roads. If it feels stable and you feel comfortable on the different roads, then it will more than likely be that same way after a year or two, until you read some ad about how a new improved set of shocks will make it even better. More than likely, this won't be the last motor home you will buy. We are on our 8th coach in 20 years of RVing. The last two were going to be our last one, but maybe we aren't done yet. Just find and drive what you like and if it feels good, buy it and don't look back.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #33
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"jimrf".....I agree with "Speed Racer".......very few of the RVing public visit these sites and many only do so when they have issues. He said about 10% of the RVers in the country. My guess would be less than 1%.

We've owned a few RV's and always had a pretty good idea what we wanted. When we bought our first DP, it was a big decision and we looked at almost every model and brand in our budget. When we narrowed it down to one in particular, we spent a LOT of time sitting in it. We would picture what everyday life would be like, cooking space, sleeping space, cabinet space, etc, and see if it fit our needs. Luckily, our dealer would leave us alone, as we did this several times. This really helped to make our decision.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #34

Thank you everyone for your responses. I am feeling better about the whole process. I do have one (well one more of most likely many more) questions. Financially it would be much easier on us to purchase a higher end gas model. But I also want to feel safe and reasonably comfortable that an occasional trip out West is reasonable. Now I know that diesel eliminates all these concerns but how about gas?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #35

jimrf,
I am in the same position as you looking and seeing what fits our needs. I have read almost every forum on this site and there are a lot of great people willing to help. I decided no matter what I'm going for it. I'm seriously considering the 2014
georgetown 378XL. Hopefully I will and all of us see an meet up with you on the road. Life is too short not to enjoy yourself.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrf View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses. I am feeling better about the whole process. I do have one (well one more of most likely many more) questions. Financially it would be much easier on us to purchase a higher end gas model. But I also want to feel safe and reasonably comfortable that an occasional trip out West is reasonable. Now I know that diesel eliminates all these concerns but how about gas?

Check out these links for some first hand experiences in mountain driving.

Mountain driving tips??

Mountain driving

http://www.irv2.com/blog/2013/07/tip...untain-grades/

Mountain driving

Mountain driving

Mountain driving?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
JimRf First of all I am going to go a different route. Are you sure you really want or need a motor home. They are expensive to buy and a diesel pusher can be expensive to operate. For example a non tag axle class A will set you back about 4000.00 for tires alone. Freightliner dealers charge 100.00 an hour to work on semi trailer tractors. they charge 125.00 an hour to work on a Freightliner chasis rv. I have a diesel pusher and I love it. I am not really sure it is the best way to go. Are you going to go driving across the country stopping every couple of days or are you going to go some where and stay for a week or two or even months. If you are going to stay somewhere for months I can tell you beyond a doubt I think a 5th wheel is better. I agree with an earlier poster I started with a 5th wheel and got tired of the setup and take down. 5th wheels have come a long long way in the last 3 years. First of all most of the higher end 5th wheels have hydraulic leveling. It is a neat system. You park unhook the truck move it out of the way and then hit level. In about 1/10th of the time it takes my system to level the 5th wheel is leveled. I watched a new big horn set up I could not believe how fast that happened. When you get ready to break camp you hit a button and it takes you right back to the same spot you unhooked height wise. You only have to back up and hook up no trying to get your fifth wheel at the right height to hit the hitch. They come with really really nice residential refrigerators. 1.5 baths. and very nice furnishings. The ones I have looked at have a lot better kitchen prep area and most of them have an island. They do not have as much underneath storage but they have a lot and they have some very usable inside space. Cost is a lot less. The nicest thing I have seen for my use has been a cedar creek. 38 or 40 foot i do not remember. The price before you started negotiating was 125,000 which is comparable to what a used good quality Diesel RV pusher that is ten years old. I am not trying to say one is better than the other one. I have no intention of getting rid of my diesel pusher but if I did I would seriously consider a new 5th wheel.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:55 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
I love our coach. Just love it.

But what I have also learned is owning and RV is NOT for the faint of heart.
You gotta be tough. Figure it out. Look for answers when you don't even know the questions yet.

Again, wouldn't trade it for the world!
I agree!! And try not to over think things
bobf46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #39
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"jimrf"......Todays modern gasoline coaches will run fine through the mountains out west. They have plenty of power, get reasonable mileage (keep your foot out of it) and in a large coach, they'll drive well. Most gassers will keep up with DPs on grades and are pretty safe with there downhill speed control. A downside......they'll be noisy while climbing, but you just don't spend that much time climbing.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #40

On a gas coach the engine and tranny are good for about 100K miles. It is very hard to get much $$ out of a gas coach approaching that amount of miles. Even tho Diesel engines with the Allison trans are good for 800K+- miles people have a mental block about buying coaches with 100K + miles on them. For this reason your best bang for the buck is to buy a very high end well cared for and maintained Diesel Pusher with over $100K miles that has had lots of upgrades added after purchase (Hi def sat, LED TVs, LED lights, MCD shades, ect, ect). (on a used coach condition is everything). You will never wear it out. You will pay less for it and of course when you sell or trade you will also get less for it but you will not have as much money tied up. Also the more slides the more maint. you will have. Two sides will be less money and have plenty of room unless you do a lot of entertaining, travel with more than two people, or have a lot of pets.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
We bought a high end, 7 year old coach 13+ years ago.

It has been, and likely will be our only rig.

But.......if you are going to full time in the rig, be very sure the salon furniture is very comfortable not just pretty!
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Everything is starting to really create second thoughts.

Gosh, I don't even have a salon! Didn't have one on my boat, either. But my living room furniture is comfy and inviting. ;-)

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote