Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #15

I'm not sure that the reference to AGM's at 3 times the cost is still accurate. I'm replacing my (4) Trojan T-105's and have decided to also upgrade to size L16T batteries. The Rolls AGM in this size puts out 415AH and the Trojan puts out 435. The Rolls will cost about $2300 and the Trojans about $1500. The AGM will allow me to recharge with less generator time and significantly reduce my battery maintenance time. I can run the AGM lower with less potential damage. Both are good batteries, but the Rolls is certainly top of the line. I'll have to modify my compartment for access with the Trojans, but won't have to with the AGMs since they require less maintenance. A watering system, which would be a must with the Trojans, would cost another $200, bringing the system costs more in line. I should get 50% longer life out of the AGMs. I still haven't decided, but it's looking like a no-brainer. Where am I wrong?

Charlie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer
No offense and with all due respect....do you tow the Dolphin with the Super Duty or is the Super Duty your Toad???
You're kidding right? In case you're not, an F53 is a Ford MH chassis, ie Super Duty, as is the V-10 motor. The Towd is 2 Harley Davidson Street Glides....these are motorcycles. Therefore, the Dolphin MH with a Ford F-53 chassis and a V-10 motor tows the motorcycles, in a trailer. At least that's how I remember it

I'm not going to argue the AGM/GC battery debate as it has been beat to death already. As the price/weight/volume/AH ratio comes close to a GC battery, I will then consider them. I will have to wait 8 years though as mine are only 2 years old. I suspect I'll be dead by then though.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS32
I'm not sure that the reference to AGM's at 3 times the cost is still accurate. I'm replacing my (4) Trojan T-105's and have decided to also upgrade to size L16T batteries. The Rolls AGM in this size puts out 415AH and the Trojan puts out 435. The Rolls will cost about $2300 and the Trojans about $1500. The AGM will allow me to recharge with less generator time and significantly reduce my battery maintenance time. I can run the AGM lower with less potential damage. Both are good batteries, but the Rolls is certainly top of the line. I'll have to modify my compartment for access with the Trojans, but won't have to with the AGMs since they require less maintenance. A watering system, which would be a must with the Trojans, would cost another $200, bringing the system costs more in line. I should get 50% longer life out of the AGMs. I still haven't decided, but it's looking like a no-brainer. Where am I wrong?

Charlie
Charlie...you've answered your own question. If you are going to compare the top-of-the-line & most expensive wet cell batteries (Trojans) against AGM's, add-on a watering system ( throw in some water miser caps & Thermoil) ....plus you you have a space problem....voila ....bring-on the AGM's!

For me 4 AGM's were around $1,400, while wet cells ran around $500 ( with miser caps & thermoil).....don't need a watering system. We also don't do a lot of off power parking of our rolling condo....so the almost 3X expense was impossible to justify.

Not sure you are going to get 50% greater life from your AGM's but I'll save this thread and get back to you in 2023 & we can compare notes. Good luck with those AGM's and I'll be thinking about you when I'm next out there "checking-on" my el cheapo wet cells.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water

[QUOTE=RickO;1272218]Hi and welcome to the forum.

I keep a couple of gallons water in my battery room all the time, any time I am in the compartment I just pump the ball times.
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Has anyone tried the NEW L-ION bateries?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Questions and answers

1) How often do you all really check your water levels - i've heard every 4-6 weeks or every other month. Since my dad is planning on traveling soon for about 6 weeks and it seems pretty hot everywhere, i told him he will need to check on his trip, but he disagrees and says they should be fine?

A1) on a 2006 you likely have a 3-stage smart converter, so monthly is good for now, Once you have some expierence you may go to quarterly if that is proper.. I do mine that way I have a 2005

2) Do you all really go through the hassle of pulling off your battery cables or do you just use a battery watering system? If the latter, do you really leave a bottle of distilled water in the battery compartment for the pump - seems like there would be no room and it wouldn't be good for the water?

a2) There is no need to remove the batteires on my coach to add distilled, Just pull the caps and pour it in with a small container.. Or a siphon hose.

The auto-fill systems are a very good choice,, one thing DISTILLED ONLY!!!

3) Was told since the batts were new, they should be cycled 15-20 times (to 50%, i think) by unplugging shore power and running appliances on the batts. Before my dad goes on his trip? Seems like it would be difficult to do 1 cycle since there would be enough power to last a couple of days boondocking? And wouldn't it be difficult to get to 50% normally b/c something would always be charging the batts - like the alternator when driving or the inverter/charger when plugged in?

A3) I would not bother,, You will "Cycle" them naturally if you do any boondocking, and till then you don't need to cycle them.

4) I tried by turning on the Inverter (Xantrex Freedom Inverter/Charger) and running appliances, including the microwave. I read later some folks say doing that is bad for the microwave, so they don't use the inverter? (The Xantrex manual says the inverter provides power to the microwave.)

A4) I would not say running on the inverter is bad for the microwave, HOWEVER if the inverter is a MSW type, (Mine is a TSW type) then the microwave may act differently on Inverter.. IE: Cook slower. Now with a True Sine Inverter. Let me put it this way. SHORE POWER is worse for the thing. I am not kidding, TSW inverters are better than shore power.

5) I also noticed the DC volts on the Xantrex turned from green to yellow and lit up only to 11.5V while the appliance was on. Is it okay to look at this reading to see where the state of the house battery bank is (which should not be below 12V for 50%)?

A5) you likely have some voltage loss in the 12 volt cables, For one thing I like to recommend BIGGER WIRE than Xantrex does but make sure the connections are clean and solid,,, A Microwave can draw over 100 amps off the batteries. I see something like 0.3 volt drop on my Prosine when that happens.

6) My draining efforts barely made a dent. I also noticed somewhere it is not good to leave house batts in a partially used state, so i plugged in shore power and let the inverter/charger do its thing.

A6) Yes, you should keep them full at least at the end of the trip, Plug in for a day then disconnect to store. if you must. IN my case the RV was never precisely stored so I kept it pulgged in full time till I went full time.

7) How often do you equalize your batteries? Heard once a year is good, or checking with a hydrometer for a 10-point spread (usually every 2-3 months).

A7) Basically every 20 hours.. Ok, so I don't do it, I have a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with charge wizard and that is how IT does it, for just a few minutes (not a full equalization) You have a Xantrex so basically it is when you feel they need it. The hydrometer is a good way to tell when they need it.

8) Finally, when the rv is being stored for a while on shore power, should the house battery disconnect switch be engaged to conserve the batt or should the inverter/charger just keep it charged?

A8) Well, as noted above, I kept it plugged in, but both methods work, IF you disconnect I suggest physically disconnecting (Remove negative cable from battery)

Suggestion 1: Get a couple cans of spray paint (The model paint "Testors" brand at the hobby shop is about the right size here) or bottles of nail polish.

One red, One black

In the battery compartment the wires that run off to somewhere OTEHR than another battery paint the positive wires RED, the negative wires BLACK.

And that way when you go to re-install batteries.. No "Oh bleep, where does this wire go)

RED positive, Black Negative, BLue, Yellow, White Pink, Green other color, NOT CONNECTED TO BATTERY. that simple.

Tags
battery, maintenance