RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #1

Evidence on total flushing black tank for winter?

Our motorhome is back in storage for the winter. We dumped the tanks at our last overnight, but did use the toilet for the last day. I winterized the RV the day we returned and we parked it in the storage lot in the suburbs.

Is there any evidence that the black tank needs to be power flushed and completely empty for November to March storage?

A nearby RV dealer will do the job for about $100. But I can't see how having a a few inches inches of waste water and liquefied "stuff" sitting in in the bottom of a tank for the winter is going to dry out and do any damage.

Have any of you left the tanks nearly empty in storage and had a problem from doing so?

Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
If you have liquid and "stuff" in the tank and don't want to dump and flush, I would put some antifreeze in the tank and forget about it.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
If you have liquid and "stuff" in the tank and don't want to dump and flush, I would put some antifreeze in the tank and forget about it.
Yes..the issue is if it drys up and/or can freeze. Couple/three gallons of RVA should solve the problem.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota51 View Post
Our motorhome is back in storage for the winter. We dumped the tanks at our last overnight, but did use the toilet for the last day. I winterized the RV the day we returned and we parked it in the storage lot in the suburbs.
Is there any evidence that the black tank needs to be power flushed and completely empty for November to March storage?
Have any of you left the tanks nearly empty in storage and had a problem from doing so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Minnesota51
I have not always "completely drained" the waste tanks for winter storage in Wisconsin.
But I do pour 1/2 gallon of RV antifreeze into each waste tank when I winterize.
Mel
'96 Safari, (mine since '01)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

I always thought the danger of freezing was that ice expands and breaks things if it is confined. In an almost empty black or grey tank it can freeze with plenty of room to expand, I would think.

I can easily add some pink stuff. Just wondering how that helps keep things from breaking. I know the pink stuff can evaporate as water does.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #6

You are correct about freezing and expansion but I think you have pipe connected to those tanks that may benefit from some antifreeze in them. Couple gallons of
antifreeze = inexpensive insurance.

Just my $0.02 keep the change.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
You are correct about freezing and expansion but I think you have pipe connected to those tanks that may benefit from some antifreeze in them. Couple gallons of
antifreeze = inexpensive insurance.

Just my $0.02 keep the change.
I see. Makes sense. I do not know all the configuration and piping to the output valves.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:50 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
You wouldn't want to have your black tank valve freeze up, expand and break once it thaws out, would you?

Dump in the cheap stuff and don't worry about it!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #9

Quote:
I see. Makes sense. I do not know all the configuration and piping to the output valves.
I don't know the configuration on your tanks either but they all (most) work by gravity and the dump connections are at the low point in the system and that plastic can crack in a hard freeze.

There are many on here that just drain their systems the best they can and have no issues at all. Some just use compressed air and have no issues at all. I am just not that darn lucky so I drain, blow out and add the pink stuff.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I always thought the danger of freezing was that ice expands and breaks things if it is confined. In an almost empty black or grey tank it can freeze with plenty of room to expand, I would think.

I can easily add some pink stuff. Just wondering how that helps keep things from breaking. I know the pink stuff can evaporate as water does.
I would only worry about the freezing at the exit valve. Antifreeze would mitigate any potential damage. Having to replace a leaking valve would not be a pleasant task.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
There are many on here that just drain their systems the best they can and have no issues at all. Some just use compressed air and have no issues at all. I am just not that darn lucky so I drain, blow out and add the pink stuff.
tim myers
IMO there's nothing wrong with "an abundance of caution"... (aka: "overkill").
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #12

While I don't oppose overkill I also don't like spending money. ;-)

Assuming you mean a few flushes we have done what you did most winters with no ill effects.

I agree that there is a good chance anything freezing in the bottom could probably expand upward into that big flat tank. If I was worried I'd dump into a 5 gal bucket and then dump the bucket into a proper place.

That said I expect that by the time I run pink stuff out of the faucet for a bit to make sure there the trap is filled there is also runoff into the various tanks. That helps with protection. If I was still worried there I would dump a gallon or two of windshield washer deicer down the drains. Half or less the price and adequate for the task.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
You wouldn't want to have your black tank valve freeze up, expand and break once it thaws out, would you?
I think this is what may are missing. Any liquid entering the tank is going to seek the lowest point which will be the dump valve and the associated piping. The other unknown is even if you add RV antifreeze will it mix with what is behind valve and in the pipe without some type of agitation. My thoughts are you need to pull the rig out of storage and completely empty the tank(s).
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I think this is what may are missing. Any liquid entering the tank is going to seek the lowest point which will be the dump valve and the associated piping. The other unknown is even if you add RV antifreeze will it mix with what is behind valve and in the pipe without some type of agitation.

My thoughts are you need to pull the rig out of storage and completely empty the tank(s). Being located in Minnesota you might have a 2" diameter frozen solid poopsicle by Christmas.

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank, winter