Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

Excessive Dirt

In June/13, I purchased a new Newmar Essex. From the moment I got it, there has been excessive dirt coming in the coach on the living and bedroom floors.It is so excessive that it swirls on the floor in many spots.I have tried blocking off every area where it could possibly be coming in-no success.
I have addressed the issue with Newmar (many, many times) from the first time I took possession. They did replace the rubber around the slide outs; however the problem was not resolved.The coach goes to Newmar twice a year for repairs and each time I address the ‘dirt’ issue again. They seem to skirt around the issue each time I bring it up.Nothing has been resolved and the last time I was there, (Nov. /15) I was simply told, “I would have to live with it’.
The floor needs to be Swiffered twice/day and I still cannot keep on top of it.
Anybody else experience this problem?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #2

I am trying to understand your problem. Where are you staying that you are getting a lot of dirt coming into the coach?
There are services out there that can pressurize your unit. They often use it to find leaks. That may be an option to find out where it's coming from. I don't understand what you mean by it can be seen swirling around on the floor. Either that dirt is very, very fine or you have huge air flow.
Good luck with the fix.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
sounds like its coming from the duct work
Old 02-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #4

Is this with slides in or out?

I believe you talking about out, but I only have this issue when slides are in and on a dusty road.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #5

We have a 04 Essex and have found that if the problem is when the slides are out it's the seal on the bottom of slide out which you can check by going under slides when out and look and see if there is a tight fit. Just replaced the floor covering in the front and needed to make a roller change and had to adjust the rubber seal around bottom of coach.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #6

Sounds like construction dust/debris, which regrettably requires treatment of the symptom instead of the source cause. I too suspect furnace ductwork. There are companies that clean ductwork in houses, you might see if one would clean yours.
If you suspect dirt is entering from under/around your slides, wait until a dark night, have someone with a bright light slowly go around outside all your seals while you watch inside for signs of light.
Another way is doing the same with a smoke generator during daylight, and using your exhaust fans to re-create the normal negative air pressure experienced while driving in the RV..
OK, that's my brainstorm for tonight, hope one of those work for you.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:24 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does the dirt build up while parked or when you are driving? What kind of dirt is it, is it dust or wood shavings, sand? A bit more info would be helpful.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser 38 View Post
sounds like its coming from the duct

work
Don't think the Essex has floor ductwork. Out Dutch Star does not.
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #9

Excessive Dirt

Thank you for your replies.
No, I do not have duct work.
It is when it is parked with slide outs-out.
It is like a sand-not dust-it's dirt.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So then I assume you have a hydronic heating system such as aqua hot. That leaves little room for the dirt to be coming from the hvac system. Its either coming in through leaks around slideouts or your tracking it in. If windows are open for a breeze, you would be surprised at how much stuff can end up in the coach. Do you have exhaust fans that are running? If they are, they could create a negative pressure and bring dirt in through the smallest cracks. Ive seen some that run in reverse and could bring material in as well. I would get under the coach with a flasjlight at night and see if you can see light coming in anywhere from below and then seal any openings.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you get us a picture of the areas your talking about?
Old 02-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #12

Excessive Dirt

Thank you for your replies/ideas. I do not know how to attach pictures. They are not very good anyway due to the black floor.

On the door side slide out there are two slots.These slots are covered with two ‘broom type’ bars.The brooms butt up against each other.Daylight can be seen from the inside looking under the couch.
Is it possible that the refrigerator fan sucks in dirt?
I have complained numerous times to Newmar technicians about the dirt and they are saying there is nothing wrong with rubber/seals around the slide outs.