Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2018, 09:01 PM   #1

Exercising genny

Hey, how do you exercise your generator after it has been winterized? I've read to run it at 50 percent load for two hours a month. How do I reach that load? Propane is off. Is my info about ysing the generator accurate?
ScottnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 09:10 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I turn on the three heat pumps.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottnKat View Post
Hey, how do you exercise your generator after it has been winterized? I've read to run it at 50 percent load for two hours a month. How do I reach that load? Propane is off. Is my info about ysing the generator accurate?

2 or 3 1500 watt heaters will get you up to that kind of load level. A convection oven will work also. If the temp is above 40 then run the heat pumps if you have them.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:17 PM   #4
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I use two 1500 watt electric heaters if cold or the two A/C's if hot. But I only run my 8kQD for an hour once a month.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #5

Like others, a combination of electric heater's, heat pumps, running the microwave/convection. I usually run mine about one hour a month after checking/filling water levels in the batteries.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

In recent years the genset manufacturers have been upping their recommendations for "exercise". It used to be 30 minutes/month at 50% load, but now Onan is saying 2 hours @ 50%. Maybe they've had some problems, or maybe they are just being ultra-conservative? Have you checked the owner manual for your particualr genset make/model? It will have instructions for exercising and storage (no exercise). If you don't have it, most can be found online for free.

The main purpose of exercising is to heat up the unit enough to drive all moisture out of the wiring and electronic components. If in a fairly dry climate, that should be a minor concern, but if storing in a humid climate maybe two hours is needed?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:44 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't run mine if I'm not using it... Why rack up hours just to prove it works..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I don't run mine if I'm not using it... Why rack up hours just to prove it works..

Well, if you read your owners manuals you would know..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0223.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	227014
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #9

No. I dont exercise mine at all. On our 16 year old Itasca. 300 hours on the generator. I could go out right now at 15f and it would start right up and put out power.

Same story on our Adventurer. That is one part of the owners manual that I ignore.

I dont exercise the back up generator at my house except once per year, every fall. I dont exercise my Honda generators either.

I use Seafoam in the fuel. Never once had a generator not fire right up and produce power immediately.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #10

Being a Journeyman industrial mechanic for years, ANY mechanical equipment should be exercised/ran periodically for a multitude of reasons. Letting equipment just sit there unused will cause more problems than any benefits you think you're going to achieve.

We don't winterize. However, we move every 2-3 weeks, I just gauge where we're going and how long we'll be driving and run the genny accordingly. Usually though it will run about an 1-2hrs./month while driving, with one AC/Heat Pump and the fridge ON. In the hot summer I'll run both AC's and fridge. I also service it regularly. Our genny has a little over 1,100hrs. on it and purrs like a kitten.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front-of-generator.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	227015  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #11

In my business, I had several 20 and 30KW portable gensets on wheels. These were 3 phase 480 volt units used for temporary power for center pivot irrigation systems. I also had several customers with 20KW generators mounted on diesel engines. Most of them sat outside from November till needed the following May or June. They were not started in that time. Many of them ran for 10-12,000 hours (15 years) without a problem related to moisture in the windings. The only problems were lightning surge when running or Mice getting through the wire mesh shields. Of the seven motorhomes I have had in the last 25 years, I do not recall starting the genset just to exercise it. Three to four months was the longest they sat between uses.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #12

Hurray for all who don't excercise their gennys and they still work. Some never change their oil and no problems. Allot of people smoke but don't get cancer horray to them as well.
I excercise my Genny because I want it to work when I need it. The ones who don't will have their luck run out eventually. They don't make these suggestions for no reason.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:37 PM   #13

Exercising of the generator by manufacturers is an old left over from post WWII days.

Things 'electrical' wise have changed a great deal better since then. A great deal better.

These days you'll have issues relating to fuel storage (long term) before any issue relating to electrical. Use some Sta-Bil fuel treatment prior to topping up fuel tank. Then run the generator for ~ 20mins at half load and that won't be an issue.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
They don't make these suggestions for no reason.
I agree completely and wouldn't expect the manufactures to say anything less. They must provide a operational environment for every conceivable situation that their product may be used in, from sitting for a year or two in a MH to being able to supply emergency power for a kidney dialysis system system.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote