Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #1

exercising motorhome

We all know the phrase " use it or lose it"
But how often is enough?
Some snowbirds drive south, sit idle for six months then drive north and sit for another six months.
Im thinking of driving 2 hours in the spring, camping from the beginning of may to the end of October then winterize and sit for the winter months.
Is this really any worse then what a snowbird does?
Is driving 90 miles any different then 1200 miles if its only twice per year?
I know ideally its better for everything to drive the coach several times per year but I dont think works for us anymore.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
WDW

It's yours. Enjoy it, maintain it. Expect things to decay from inactivity. Expect things to wear out and break.

It's like your body, perfect health is just the slowest form of your eventual demise.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
It's yours. Enjoy it, maintain it. Expect things to decay from inactivity. Expect things to wear out and break.

It's like your body, perfect health is just the slowest form of your eventual demise.

From a mechanics view i full time in my coach but when I didn't I started my coach at lease twice a week and ran the generator for 1-2 hrs with load and rolled the coach around the neighborhood to keep the tires in good shape in my opinion I don't think it's necessary to put miles on but that's just my opinion and sometimes I just would move it a few feet again just for the tires sake then it would then sit in place for another month sometimes in short everybody's exercise routine accomplishes different things
Arricejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #4

This brings up a good point. All tires are made up of various compounds that work together to provide safe travel for 7-10 years if maintained properly. In order for them to work efficiently and provide the longest safe use, they have to be flexed and heated up to "Keep them alive" so to speak. I have no idea what the minimum period between "exercising" is or how long is sufficient. In my case, the longest our coach sits is 4-6 weeks. Except for an occasional trip to the pumps to fill up before a trip, it is driven for minimum one to two hours or up to 600 miles before stopping for the night. This seems to be working for us. After four years and 42,000 miles, they look good and should run for another three more years and 30,000 miles. Certainly, the more tires are flexed and warmed up, the better they will perform if they are maintained at the correct pressure and covered when parked.

Regular use also seems to be better for all moving and lubricated parts. IMO, engines, transmissions, AC's, generators, etc all should be run long enough to get up to operating temperature, but I do not know what the maximum interval is between cycles. What we are doing is working for us,,,,,,, I think.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was just on a different thread that had a Spartan chassis maintenance sheet. They recommended every thirty days...bring the engine up to temperature, and even drive it forward and backwards 25 feet to lube axle seals.

We usually go somewhere every month...so, I haven't been too worried about it.

I equalize my battery bank every thirty days as well.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #6

My wife an I full time in a 45vft coach. We break camp once a month and take a 200-250 mile trip, round trip, different directions. Gets us a chance to get away for a bit, get everything up to operating temps, keep the wet bearings in the axles in good shape. We enjoy it, always find something fun to do. Then when we get back we clean the gunk off our pad site that may have accumulated under the coach during rains, lawn care, etc.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
About the Snowbirds sitting for 6 months,,,

We notice that more and more are switching to Luxury 5th Wheels. They can have them delivered to thier lots...

If I planned to sit on a lot for 6 months...that's what I would do. We plan on traveling a lot though.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #8

The eventual alternative would be to leave it onsite permanently. Its only an extra $100 to leave it on site for the winter but im not sure that im ready to basically turn a $50, 000 coach into a park model.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
The eventual alternative would be to leave it onsite permanently. Its only an extra $100 to leave it on site for the winter but im not sure that im ready to basically turn a $50, 000 coach into a park model.
If that became a viable option and you did not intend to travel in it, the fifth wheel or big travel trailer w/slides would make a nice winter home.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I equalize my battery bank every thirty days as well.
I equalize my battery bank once or twice a year. I am curious ....... why would you equalize monthly (sorry for adding to this thread)?
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I equalize my battery bank once or twice a year. I am curious ....... why would you equalize monthly (sorry for adding to this thread)?
I'm curious about this too. A US Battery tech told me that four times a year was plenty in normal use.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:57 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I equalize my Batteries 4 times a year-and Typically they last 7 to 8 yrs.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #13
WDW

What does equalize your battery mean? I’ve never heard of it.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
About the Snowbirds sitting for 6 months,,,

We notice that more and more are switching to Luxury 5th Wheels. They can have them delivered to thier lots...

If I planned to sit on a lot for 6 months...that's what I would do. We plan on traveling a lot though.
We watched that process when we were at myrtle beach. In the morning the park truck drops off a trailer. the people showed up hung out for a while. Buttoned things up and left. Then the truck came and took it away.

The interesting one was this old Terry trailer that the slide was so bad that it sounded like a snow plow blade on the asphalt and it took 2 guys plus the motor to get it in well almost in...stuck out a couple inches. I guess if you have one that isn't exactly road worthy might work to have it put in place by the park. lol

Tags
motorhome