Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #1

Exhaust Brake!

We are currantly on our first trip where we are going to
Experience some mountain passes. On our way to Ca.
My question is do I leave trans in 6th gear auto. With the
Exhaust brake going down hill.
Or gear down manually to like 3rd or 4 th with the exhaust brake on
Came thru Guadalupe pass, 2mi,7% down grade. Had to stab brakes
3-4 times to maintain 35-40 mph. In man. 4th.Have just over 10500 Mi.
on coach (see sig.):
THANKYOU!
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #2

Start by leaving the transmission in '6' with the engine brake ON. See how it drives for you, as it will downshift itself until it can get to '2', which will really slow you down.

The Allison is pretty intelligent. It knows how to slow you down by auto downshifting, but downshifting to '2', which it is pre-programmed to do, may be too agressive.

It can be re-programmed to downshift to a lesser gear, but try what you have first to see how it works for you.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #3

On steep passes you will probably still have to use brakes.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #4

Going down a long 6-7 percent grade…….I like to shift down to 4th gear at the top of the hill….if that doesn't hold us below 2500 rpms during the descent, then i'll switch on the exhaust brake and then use the service brakes as needed to hold the speed steady………if the exhaust brake causes the speed to drop below that 2500 rpm, then I switch off the exhaust brake.
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Rule of thumb I use is the gear range that keeps engine in the power curve going up the hill is the gear you come down in, with the exhaust brake on. Yes, you may still need to use the brakes
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #6

Do a google search for "snub braking" or "Heavy vehicle downhill control" and similar.

The engine braking management isn't really very intelligent as all it does is slam the transmission back to second gear, close the exhaust brake valve and monitor the engine speed to make sure it doesn't go too high and drop the gears as an when it can. Snub braking is part of the operator input to manage speed at whatever is optimum for your circumstances and without it you will usually either crawl down or go down too fast
Old 04-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
My exhaust brake (factory setup) goes to 4th, not to 2nd. And I would NEVER start down a 6-7% grade in 6th gear and expect the exhaust brake to get me down safely.

A week or so ago we went down the 15 mile 6% grade on US 82 from Cloudcroft NM to Alamogordo. Posted speed limit was 45 and sometimes less. I manually hit 3rd at the top. That held my speed to 40-45 very well, and I had to stab the brakes a couple of times. If I allow it to try to manage itself, 4th will be too fast on that steep descent. Several days later we drove the same route back up, and as we started the climb I when we got down to 45 I manually shifted to 3rd, and kept it there all the way up the mountain. If I allow it to manage itself, it WILL lug down, the rpm will be too low too much, and the engine would DEFINATELY overheat. When I keep the engine rpm around 2k or slightly above on a steep climb like that, the engine temp does creep up but it stayed a bit below 200 for the entire 15 mile climb.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I leave my exhaust brake on all the time. I installed the BrakeSwitch option so the exhaust brake doesn't engage every time I take my foot off the throttle, but only when I press the brake pedal and release it.

With the exhaust brake on, my Allison 3000 tranny automatically shifts down to 2nd at the right time. Works for me!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Do a google search for "snub braking" or "Heavy vehicle downhill control" and similar.

The engine braking management isn't really very intelligent as all it does is slam the transmission back to second gear, close the exhaust brake valve and monitor the engine speed to make sure it doesn't go too high and drop the gears as an when it can. Snub braking is part of the operator input to manage speed at whatever is optimum for your circumstances and without it you will usually either crawl down or go down too fast
Tony Lee
X2 on "snub braking"!
Riding the service brakes when descending a grade can leave you with NO brakes in short order.

However, if you have an Allison 6 speed transmission that slams into, or out of, any gear something needs fixing!

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spare time.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
We are currantly on our first trip where we are going to
Experience some mountain passes. On our way to Ca.
My question is do I leave trans in 6th gear auto. With the
Exhaust brake going down hill.
Or gear down manually to like 3rd or 4 th with the exhaust brake on
Came thru Guadalupe pass, 2mi,7% down grade. Had to stab brakes
3-4 times to maintain 35-40 mph. In man. 4th.Have just over 10500 Mi.
on coach (see sig.):
THANKYOU!
Here is some other threads on the "exhaust brake"
https://www.google.com/search?q=exha...earch=irv2.com
for you to read in your spare time, After reading some of them, your answers might be answered.........
Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I tried to manually downshift when needed and I found that the Allison knows best. I let it do the shifting and I use the EB on down grades and hit the brakes as needed. The tranny seems to do a fine job matching the gear with the RPM ascending or descending grades and so far have not had any issues with overheating. I also use the economy mode on the flat (and near flat) hwys.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I leave my exhaust brake on all the time. I installed the BrakeSwitch option so the exhaust brake doesn't engage every time I take my foot off the throttle, but only when I press the brake pedal and release it.

With the exhaust brake on, my Allison 3000 tranny automatically shifts down to 2nd at the right time. Works for me!
I was at the dealership this past weekend and the salesman said he leaves the exhaust brake on all the time, never turns it off. That seems odd to me, since when coasting on a flat road, we lost momentum with it on and coasted freely with it off. So like you explained, it seemed to engage when my foot was off the throttle.

I went to BrakeSwitch.com and they state they are no longer taking orders. Yet, it seems like this might be something that should be standard on any chassis.

If I don't or can't get one, do you recommend leaving the exhaust brake on all the time while I drive anyway?

Thanks!
Musikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exhaust Brake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I leave my exhaust brake on all the time. I installed the BrakeSwitch....

X2...great device! I also manually change gears and do snub braking on steep grades.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobguigley View Post
Going down a long 6-7 percent grade…….I like to shift down to 4th gear at the top of the hill….if that doesn't hold us below 2500 rpms during the descent, then i'll switch on the exhaust brake and then use the service brakes as needed to hold the speed steady………if the exhaust brake causes the speed to drop below that 2500 rpm, then I switch off the exhaust brake.
I understand your strategy of downshifting at the crest of a hill preparing to go down. I don't understand why you don't engage the exhaust brake at the same time. That's what it's designed for.

The Allison tranny / exhaust brake IS very intelligent, assuming it's programmed for the way you want it to operate.

For those of you who like the operational logic of the Brake Switch, simply have Allison reprogram your exhaust brake operation to 'Latch' mode. Does the same thing.

For those of you who don't want the transmission to downshift towards '2' when the exhaust brake is engaged, have it reprogrammed to pick a higher gear when the exhaust brake is engaged. I chose '4', and it works great. No 'slamming to 2nd gear'. If I need more aggressive braking going down a long descent, I manually downshift to '3' or further if needed. But I have the exhaust brake engaged from the onset of going down the hill.

I have mine programmed to 'Latch' mode and preset downshift to '4' when the exhaust brake engages. With this setup, I keep my exhaust brake 'ON' all the time, and it works great! I can coast when I want to w/o exhaust braking, and I can slow down with assist all the time when I want. Not too aggressive. Just right. If I need more assist I downshift to a lower gear manually.

Same logic applies to engine brakes (Jake's). Just works differently, and many times has a lo/hi setting on the engine brake. Still engages the transmission to downshift as both brakes work better at higher engine rpm's.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake