Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #29

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Alpine Owners Club
The 8.1 workhorse may have a " grade brake" but definitely not an exhaust brake or engine brake. The grade brake is a transmission mode that causes downshifting. Just to clarify...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
WOW! I learn something new here every day! I didn't know that the MH brake lights come on when the exhaust brake activates! I had never really thought about it!
The brake lights on with exhaust/engine brake , is chassis manufacturer dependent , my Freightliner does , but many others have stated their MH doesn't have the lights on with the exhaust/engine brake active.
There is an old post , just re-activated, about this feature. Pro/con and legalities.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/exhau...ts-266712.html

Old 05-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At recent Camp Frieghtliner is was discussed that the brake lights would be activated with engine brake. Something I had not thought of or been aware. But makes sense to do so.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #32

On my Spartan chassis the brake lights come on if the engine brake is active. Not if it is just switched on.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I would monitor the trailer brake temps, I needed to turn mine all but off on long grades as they did get hot. I am talking 7% grades or more for several miles with no flattening for cool down. Then back to normal braking on the flat, you WILL need the full trailer braking when a stop light suddenly goes red and you have no place to run.

LEN
Thanks for the input Len, I would have never guessed that the exhaust brake being activated would turn on the trailer brakes. I will have to test this out on my next travel date.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:00 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
So, would it be good to use cruise control and exhaust brake when in descent mode? I am making my first mountain trip next week, and am a little nervous about the trip on I-40 from Asheville west...
TommyHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:57 AM   #35

Yes the brake light comes on when the exhaust brake engages on my OLDER 2003 Freightliner DP motor home chassis. As far as I can remember back to my old RV sales days some Allison transmission equipped gas motor homes did have retarders but it wasn't a exhaust type it was transmission related. I think you tapped the brake and it engaged. Somebody out there has to have one of those things.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #36

Since 2007 break lights are activated on Freightliner chassis when exhaust break is on.

Unless modified, the Freightliner toad umbilical does not activate the toad's break lights when the exhaust break is activated. Of course the umbilical activates the toad break lights when the coach's service break is activated.

Toads set up with surge type and some inertial type supplemental breaking systems will activate the toad's break lights when the exhaust break is activated.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHarris View Post
So, would it be good to use cruise control and exhaust brake when in descent mode? I am making my first mountain trip next week, and am a little nervous about the trip on I-40 from Asheville west...

If you are new to the vehicle, you probably want as much manual control as possible and not have things happening automatically to throw you off. Start by using the regular foot service brake, just like in the car. Never ride the brake, thereby overheating the linings and reducing their ability to stop the vehicle. Instead, brake firmly to reduce (not maintain) speed from time to time. Turn on the exhaust brake to assist on a long downgrade. Remember that it is only an assist and your foot occasionally on the brake pedal is what limits your speed.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks.
TommyHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Amusing anecdote:

I pulled into a Pilot station after a long downhill decent and a car that had been following us pulled in behind me. He was very nice and wanted to warn me that if I kept riding my brakes downhill like that I'd burn them up and crash. As he explained it, he'd been driving motorhomes for many, many years, and it was clear to him from my driving style that I was a newbie and he didn't want anything bad to happen to us.

I confirmed for him that (at the time) I was a indeed a newbie, but I also explained to him that the first time I'd hit the brake pedal in the last 100 miles or so was when I exited the highway... what he'd been seeing was my jake brake activating the lights, not my foot on the pedal.

I don't think he believed me, but it was very sweet of him to be so concerned. RV'ers are great people

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
I know for sure that the Jake triggers my brake lights but now I think my toad brake lights don't come on cos as far as I know, they're only activated when the air pressure cylinder pushes on the brake peddle. So, someone following me would see the coach's brake lights lit but not the toad's. Hmmm...
Old 06-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #41

Hopefully they'll be quick to figure out that if the MH is slowing, the toad will be as well.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
I know for sure that the Jake triggers my brake lights but now I think my toad brake lights don't come on cos as far as I know, they're only activated when the air pressure cylinder pushes on the brake peddle. So, someone following me would see the coach's brake lights lit but not the toad's. Hmmm...

Are your toad brake lights not electrically connected to the towing vehicle like most? I would think they would have to be, otherwise it becomes a confusing light show if the two are lighting up independently.

Tags
brake