Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #1

Exhaust Brake

I have a 2005 HR Endeavor with Allison 3000 and Cummins 400 ISL. I have it totally serviced for up coming vacation. One item i am having problems with is lubrication of the Pac or Exhaust brake arm. The manual says to just spray it with silicone........problem is I can't find it. I do not have a side rad.
Any help would be appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Lift the bed or floor over the engine compartment and follow the exhaust back wards from the muffler to the head. You will find the exhaust brake near the head. Good luck and keep us posted.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #3

In many cases the bedroom floor will need to be pulled up to get to the PAC brake. Once you're looking at the top of the engine, on the driver side you'll find the turbo and next to it will be the PAC brake. The lever you're looking for is at the top of the brake and will usually have a spring connected to it.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #4

Exhaust Brake

Wizard and Pigman , Thks guys !!
[dreading the day I have to change the big belt ]
Old 09-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a link the Pacbrake website showing the required maintenance.

Maintenance | Pacbrake

They also have a recommended lubricant.

Pacbrake C18037 Maintenance Lube

I bought a bottle of this and lube the pacbrake 2 times per year. If you have access it isn't hard. I manually try to move the valve to make sure it isn't seized.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #6

Pac Brake

Excellent info, Thks Jim
Old 09-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #7

I was a pacbrake distributor for 20 years before retirement.. if your pack brake housing is painted blue... its a standard cast housing and its possible that with lack of use.. the butterfly can/will rust in the housing.... Pacbrake cautions about removing the butterfly from the shaft.... as its factory set for clearance and to allow for expansion for heat..... there is a special lube as mentioned above to lube the the shaft for the butterfly but you have to remove the casting to service this...

If you have a black, nitrate housing... it was chemically treated and should/might last the lift of the unit without rust...

In almost all truck applications either unit is trouble free.... as the truck usually sit long enough for it to rust...

In almost all cases that I've seen over the year... the external linkage functions for the life of the vehicle with little or no service... in some cases the air cylinder might leak and need replacement...

Hope this helps...
Old 09-22-2016, 10:43 PM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 2008 400ISL and looked and looked but did not find a Pac brake. Turns out my exhaust brake is a variable ratio turbo ganged up with the Allison 3000. It works great but drove me crazy trying to find a place to lube.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:54 PM   #9

so if you have a variable pitch turbo.. and you have a switch on the dash... its very important that you leave the switch turned ON so that the vanes on the turbo can cycle full travel as much as possible... on vehicles that are not used often... its possible for the vanes to soot up... and the soot will limit travel... this is especially true with a lot of in town driving... it can be a problem for the turbo not going full swing and giving you maximum effectiveness as needed..
Old 09-22-2016, 11:24 PM   #10

[QUOTE=YC1;3265836]I have a 2008 400ISL and looked and looked but did not find a Pac brake. Turns out my exhaust brake is a variable ratio turbo ganged up with the Allison 3000. It works great but drove me crazy trying to find a place to lube.[/QUOTE

I knew that the ISB, had changed over to VGT turbos, and thought that the ISL had too, but couldn't find the year of the change online. Wanted to warn Rider Fan; that his book and engine might not be the same year or equipment ; but thought I might be mistaken.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #11

Last month we had an unusual occurrence happen as we were leaving a rest area. As I normally do, I had used the PAC Brake to slow down when entering the rest area, and as we were leaving and accelerating the Cat engine was struggling to get the coach up to speed. We limped along at 35 MPH looking for a exit when after 10 miles suddenly the engine took off and ran normally. Since there wasn't any fault codes showing in the engine, I suspected the PACBrake had stuck in the closed position. Trying to find the recommended lubricant while on the road proved to be impossible, so I settled on a high temperature graphite spray. After removing the bedroom floor, I found the PACBrake very stiff and screeching as I moved the arm.

After liberal application of the graphite the valve moved freely and we haven't had any problems since.

After reading jelag's comments (Thanks) I looked at pictures of mine, but I couldn't tell what color it was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7923.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	139699  
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #12

Pac / Exhaust Brake

When it stops raining i'm going to be all over the lubrication. Thanks again to all , jelag for your professional input , Bigd9 for real life experience that I want to avoid, and everyone else for VERY constructive input. Your all a great bunch.
Cheers and Happy trails !
Old 09-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #13
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
so if you have a variable pitch turbo.. and you have a switch on the dash... its very important that you leave the switch turned ON so that the vanes on the turbo can cycle full travel as much as possible... on vehicles that are not used often... its possible for the vanes to soot up... and the soot will limit travel... this is especially true with a lot of in town driving... it can be a problem for the turbo not going full swing and giving you maximum effectiveness as needed..
That is excellent information. I do leave the brake on. It is very rare that it is off.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
The PAC Brake special oil is made by Super Lube.

I bought a bottle at ACE Hardware.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake