Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #1

Exhaust Brake not working- 2003 Holiday Rambler Scepter

I have seen a few threads but I couldn't find one that pertained to my situation.
I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Scepter I got a few months ago. I had a bad parking brake air solenoid so I had to take the panel off. While replacing it, some how I killed my exhaust brake. I checked the exhaust brake switch but jumping the two bundles of wires going in but that didn't work. I checked and switched all the relays and fuses in the front fuse box. The switch lights up but the reason I know the "system" isn't working is before, when the exhaust brake worked, the cruise control would not come on when the exhaust brake is engaged. Now, the cruise control works no matter what position the switch is in. This implies to me that the system never comes on. I understand that there may be an inline fuse somewhere but I haven't been able to find it. Does anyone know if there is an in-line fuse and where it is for the exhaust brake?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #2

I wish I had the answer you are looking for, but coincidentally since I do have my panel removed to reface the burl wood I will keep my eyes open for a fuse.

I also have a small leak that's developed at the brake switch so I'm hoping it doesn't need to be replaced but just a line or connector rework.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:27 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"crossle32"......Did you check the fuses in the "run bay".....the exterior bay under the driver's window. You should have a big black box, about 12" x 12" with a cover on it. It houses most of your coach fuses, but the fuse you're looking for are under that. You should have either one or two small black boxes (about 4" x 4") that say "Monaco 1" and the other should say "Monaco 2". On the box covers, it will tell you which one has the exhaust brake fuse. Check to make sure it's good. There are also some Bosch (1"x1") black circuit breakers in there. They rarely go bad, but you could have shorted one out. They sell them at any auto parts store.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:36 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It's the "Monaco 2" box and located in the approx. center (they are not numbered) 20 amp...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #5

I did check the fuse in the run bay and it's fine. I even switched it out because I've seen them look ok but not work. I did not replace the relays but switched them around. I figured the chance of two going bad are slim to none. BTW- the trans readout never drops out of "6" leading me more to believe it is electrical. Thanks for the advice so far.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
If the Allison does not eventually downshift to the programmed 2 or 4 gear when you release the accelerator pedal then the problem is likely with the transmission not the exhaust brake.

Our old exhaust brake does not work below 20 mph and above 65 mph, but does work with the cruise control on and the accelerator pedal released, especially on a downgrade.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:20 AM   #7

My cruise would not set if on when the exhaust brake worked.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBarkl View Post
I wish I had the answer you are looking for, but coincidentally since I do have my panel removed to reface the burl wood I will keep my eyes open for a fuse.

I also have a small leak that's developed at the brake switch so I'm hoping it doesn't need to be replaced but just a line or connector rework.
Did you come across a fuse?? I've had to manually downshift the tranny if I want help braking...
Old 11-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
crossle32
Contact HR and request a chassis wiring diagram. It will have all the different things that may prevent the exhaust brake from activating.

I have the wiring diagram for my Windsor and there are numerous different things that can affect the brake.

Attached is a PDF of my chassis wiring diagram. Once you open it and zoom it (I use 800 to be able to see) press CTRL 5 and it will let you view in high resolution. You can start at the top and see the Exhaust Brake and just follow the paths to the different relays or switches. Do a find CTRL F to do a "Find" type in exhaust and you will see all the areas there are labels for the exhaust brake.

Hopes this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2002 Chassis Wiring Diagram.pdf (183.0 KB, 26 views)

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, holiday rambler