Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
If I leave it on and have the cruise control on they act against each other on a down hill grade. The cruise lets off and the brake turns on, as the speed decreases the cruise comes on and brake turns off. So it feels bad. brake cruise brake cruisebrakecruise. So if I want the brake on a down hill I have to kill the cruise then when past the hill resume the cruise and turn brake off.
You might want to get that checked out. Mine does not do that.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #30

Quote:
If I leave it on and have the cruise control on they act against each other on a down hill grade. The cruise lets off and the brake turns on, as the speed decreases the cruise comes on and brake turns off. So it feels bad. brake cruise brake cruisebrakecruise. So if I want the brake on a down hill I have to kill the cruise then when past the hill resume the cruise and turn brake off.
More than likely what you are feeling is the Allison down shifting. You should not feel the engine brake coming on but you will feel down shifting.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:13 AM   #31

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:

You may not be aware of the fact that in most engine/transmission installations there are usually 3 modes of operation for the engine brake relative to cruise control. I believe that either an engine shop (in your case a Cummins shop) or an Allison shop can switch the setup from one mode to another.

Mine is setup so that turning the engine brake on takes the vehicle out of cruise control. For many coaches this is the default. Engine braking begins whenever I left up on the throttle.

A second mode, I believe, is similar to this except that engine braking does not begin until after the brake pedal is pressed, but cruise control is also turned off.

In the third mode, which is what I think you are describing, cruise control will remain on and the engine brake is applied whenever the speed of the vehicle is more than ~2 mph faster than the cruise "set speed." Cruise remains on unless the brake pedal is pressed.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
You may not be aware of the fact that in most engine/transmission installations there are usually 3 modes of operation for the engine brake relative to cruise control. I believe that either an engine shop (in your case a Cummins shop) or an Allison shop can switch the setup from one mode to another.

Mine is setup so that turning the engine brake on takes the vehicle out of cruise control. For many coaches this is the default. Engine braking begins whenever I left up on the throttle.

A second mode, I believe, is similar to this except that engine braking does not begin until after the brake pedal is pressed, but cruise control is also turned off.

In the third mode, which is what I think you are describing, cruise control will remain on and the engine brake is applied whenever the speed of the vehicle is more than ~2 mph faster than the cruise "set speed." Cruise remains on unless the brake pedal is pressed.
With regard to this third mode, you can also get this reset so that the engine brake comes on at ~5 or 10 mph which may be more to your liking. I drive with the "cruise" on all the time except city driving. Even in the mountains, I leave it on and let Cummins and Allison do all the work.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post
You might want to get that checked out. Mine does not do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post
More than likely what you are feeling is the Allison down shifting. You should not feel the engine brake coming on but you will feel down shifting.
Ours does and the engine brake light on the dash comes on, the transmission selector goes to 2 and the gear is 5 when the brake is engaged.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
I used the exhaust break for the first time this weekend in my 2000 Newmar that I bought over the summer. I asked the previous owner if he had ever used the exhaust break and he said no, didn't know what it was. We live in a very flat area so you have to drive aways to encounter any hills.

This weekend I encountered a town along the river and decided to try the exhaust break while driving up and down the river breaks. At first I was afraid to flip the switch as it's probably been years since it's been flipped and I was paranoid something would break or lock-up. Luckily nothing like that didn't happen.

My questions. Do you leave your exhaust break on all the time, or just when driving hills? Should I be shutting it off when driving in a city with a bunch of stop lights? Should I shut it off when not driving hills?
Pexring
See: Exhaust Brakes: How Do They Work And What Benefits Do They Bring? | Pacbrake
And Google "how to use exhaust BRAKE
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 10-20-2015, 07:43 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
exhaust brake

personally, I like the feeling of the engine brake engaging when letting off the throttle, seems like it gives me better control of that 30,000 pounds..........leave it on unless you are driving across Kansas or texas..................
Old 10-20-2015, 09:14 PM   #36

If you don't use your exhaust BRAKE properly you could BREAK it and then the exhaust BRAKE would not work at all.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:36 AM   #37

Model dependent but I don't care for mine on all the time, as it also down shifts the transmission upon engagement any time the accelerator is released to 0 % to much for me in typical driving conditions. There is a foot operated switch that Pac Brake sells that would be convenient for me as my dog "copilot" has a pillow seat there by the window. JMO
Old 10-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardint View Post
Model dependent but I don't care for mine on all the time, as it also down shifts the transmission upon engagement any time the accelerator is released to 0 % to much for me in typical driving conditions. There is a foot operated switch that Pac Brake sells that would be convenient for me as my dog "copilot" has a pillow seat there by the window. JMO
Agree with the downsifting. On moderate terrain it is annoying when the engine brakes engages when trying to coast down small hills.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:52 PM   #39

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Agree with the downshifting. On moderate terrain it is annoying when the engine brakes engages when trying to coast down small hills.
On rolling terrain with lots of small hills I often manually downshift the Allison to 4th gear. With my MH's gearing I can comfortably drive at ~55-60 in 4th and that's about the speed that often seems best on 2-lane roads in those environments. With the transmission locked into 4th there is no downshift when the compression brake turns on and it makes for a very comfortable ride. I can safely drive to 65 in 4th so there's no risk to the engine and it's operating almost right on its HP peak so it makes it fun to drive.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake