Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2015, 12:06 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Mel,

Cummins offers a programming mode called "Latching Mode" which will take care of that situation.

My Cummins ISC 350 had been programmed by the original owners. I was one of the lucky ones.

Unfortunately some Cummins shops when asked about programming the "Latching Mode", they will have a blank stare on their face.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard
Thanks for posting that information.

BTW, the service manager at my local Cat dealer's service shop did not know about the different modes either...and after I showed him the different "modes", (in his own Cat Engine Manual), he couldn't get my ECU to "take" the re-programing!
(Believe it or not...he blamed Safari AND Allison for that).

At that point I gave up and ordered the then available BrakeSwitch from Homer online and installed it.
IMO. the BrakeSwitch is one of the best improvements I've made to my coach..

I find it ironic, (and frustrating), when a $120 an hour shop doesn't know as much as their customers... (and when they can't manage to do things correctly)...but sadly that is often the way it is in the "RV world".

Mel
'96 Safari,138k miles

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2015, 07:00 AM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
The question you have to asked yourself: Do you have a Jake Brake, Exhaust Brake, Pacbrake?
I stated I had an exhaust brake. It activates when my foot has let off the throttle.

camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:18 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Mine configured to my personal settings, The switch On all the time, activated by a "Closed throttle position" , no downshift when activated, works/maintains speed when using cruise control, 3 mph over set speed, it comes on, shuts off 3 mph under set speed. Transmission still has OEM Allison speed/rpm set shift points, and engine brake works down to 5 mph through the shift pattern, then programed to off at 5 mph.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:29 AM   #32

I leave mine off until I need it. I have no problem putting it on for a panic stop as I can find the switch without looking. I don't always want it on when I hit the brakes and on mine the cruise won't set if it is on. Haven't taken it to the CAT dealer yet to see what parameters can be changed.
Steve
Old 03-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
on mine the cruise won't set if it is on.
Mine is set up differntly than yours. The cruise will set but the brake will not engage with the cruise on. What I have discovered is when going through rolling hills, the coach will pick up speed on the downhills, with the cruise control and the exhaust brake on. It will not downshift or apply the brake, and will continue to gain speed. If I hit the "cancel" button on the cruise, the exhaust brake will apply. Once it decelerates to the desire speed, I hit the "resume" button and the exhaust brake is cancelled and cruise returns the the previous speed.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:53 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Mine is set up differntly than yours. The cruise will set but the brake will not engage with the cruise on. What I have discovered is when going through rolling hills, the coach will pick up speed on the downhills, with the cruise control and the exhaust brake on. It will not downshift or apply the brake, and will continue to gain speed. If I hit the "cancel" button on the cruise, the exhaust brake will apply. Once it decelerates to the desire speed, I hit the "resume" button and the exhaust brake is cancelled and cruise returns the the previous speed.
They have set them up this way today Scott, due to the fact that when on cruise control and at, lets say 3 mph over set point, the transmission would downshift(2nd or 4th target gear), rpm's rise, and within seconds you would be below the set point, then back to 6th, rpm's back down, and within a very short period of time, the same cycle again...........and so on, the whole way down the hill.
I believe you have a "Compression Brake" on your engine.......and a much better form of engine braking......
Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #35

Our cruise and exhaust brake interact with each other as well. I generally turn the brake off only when engaging the cruise, and use it manually from that point.

What will happen on ours is the cruise will cancel as the exhaust brake applies on a downhill section steep/long enough where the cruise has gone to a zero/closed throttle setting (coasting) for more than a second or 2. Keeping your foot on the throttle lightly will prevent that from happening, but if I'm paying that much attention to maintaining speed, well, why have the cruise on?

Having this unintended canceled cruise/exhaust brake application scenario play out unexpectedly can often lead to an unintended loss of speed that those following you (when in caravan mode with other trucks/MH's) will be forced to pay the price of that unintended downshift as well. Not only will you be making up that 5mph loss, they will be as well. Some may even be questioning your driving competency at that point.... :^(

So to answer the OP's question, ours is on full time, unless the cruise is being used. -Al
Old 03-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
They have set them up this way today Scott, due to the fact that when on cruise control and at, lets say 3 mph over set point, the transmission would downshift(2nd or 4th target gear), rpm's rise, and within seconds you would be below the set point, then back to 6th, rpm's back down, and within a very short period of time, the same cycle again...........and so on, the whole way down the hill.
I believe you have a "Compression Brake" on your engine.......and a much better form of engine braking......
You are correct. It is a compression brake. I guess I thought that all DP's had compression brakes and everyone was just using the term "exhaust brake" loosely.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exhaust Brake Switch. Leave it on or off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
You are correct. It is a compression brake. I guess I thought that all DP's had compression brakes and everyone was just using the term "exhaust brake" loosely.

An easy mixup, because a lot of folks do use the terms interchangeably, and the Jacobs Company does actually make both types. An exhaust brake chokes down the exhaust flow and builds a lot of back pressure against the engine rotation. A compression brake-- the true Jake Brake-- actually alters the operation of the exhaust valves, trapping huge amounts of compression in the cylinders for an extra fraction of a second opposing rotation while all that potential energy is lost.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:17 AM   #38

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
FYI, the CDL manual and training videos for School Bus drivers say to not have the "Retarder" on with wet/ice/snow pavement as it may cause the wheels to lock. The ABS function will only work with preventing the lock up when applying the wheel brakes. The video and manual do not define if the term Retarder means compression, exhaust or both (FYI, there is a third version, but lets not complicate this any further).
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:11 AM   #39

My feeling is that the exhaust brake maintains my speed going down without using the brakes.If I have to ride the brake pedal to activate the exhaust brake won't the brakes heat up?I like being in control and turning the switch on and off myself.Mine stays on most of the time unless I am in slow city traffic or slippery.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
You NEVER ride the brakes in any large RV. That is a sure way of losing brake control completely.

Also my Exhaust Brake activates when I completely remove my foot from the fuel treadle, NOT when I ride the brake pedal.

When descending a grade with the Exhaust Brake working, when your speed increases to a level where the transmission is about to up-shift, that's when you TROUNCE on the brake pedal HARD to reduce your speed 8-10 mph. Once you reach your aim speed remove your foot from the brake pedal.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #41
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
Ok folks, I have another topic I'd like to discuss. Seems the leave diesel engine running while fueling up finally calmed down so here is my next topic. If it has been already covered please forgive me in advance.

I have a DP and one of my control switches is the exhaust brake. Now I use mine mostly for descending hills and also leave it in the on position when driving on some curve filled roads to keep from using my brakes so much.
My questions are:
#1 does anyone just leave the switch in the on position all the time and does that hurt the engine if the exhaust brake is constantly used.

#2 does it affect the fuel economy one way or the other?

That said I turn my off when on the interstates but if people get nuts and start cutting in on a congested interstate I turn mine on to save the brakes. I also know about certain towns do not allow "Jake/Exhaust Brakes" and I am not counting situations like that.

Here we go
I leave my exhaust brake switch on all the time. I installed a "Brakeswitch" which allows me to momentarily press the throttle pedal to de-activate the exhaust brake when I want to coast.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I leave my exhaust brake switch on all the time. I installed a "Brakeswitch" which allows me to momentarily press the brake pedal to de-activate the exhaust brake when I want to coast.
Just to avoid confusion, I think you may have meant you momentarily press the THROTTLE pedal to deactivate the exhaust brake when using the BrakeSwitch.

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake