Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #71
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

With that said, I leave mine on all the time (exhaust brake) even when I see those signs. I don't think there is anyone out there that can tell whether I had the exhaust brake engaged or if I down shifted. Jake brakes may be a different issue regarding noise, but they still provide a better degree of safety.


I would have preferred to have an Engine Brake, but I can't afford one (sell this coach which I love and upside down, then buy something else with an engine brake).

So it is what it is.

Besides, those signs are for commercial vehicles. How many people reading this thread have actually HEARD a Jake Engine Brake on a RV when it was being used?

I could probably count the number on one finger and that person is legally deaf.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________

__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA (Stick & Brick)
Posts: 2,623
There are many communities, of which Anacortes is one, that ban the use of exhaust brakes within city limits. If you don't shut it off, I think it's a $100 ticket. If you can't shut it off, I believe you'll be towed to the city limits and told to leave town.
__________________

__________________
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and ex-RVers.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #73
RV Mutant #14
 
Wayne M's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post


I would have preferred to have an Engine Brake, but I can't afford one (sell this coach which I love and upside down, then buy something else with an engine brake).

So it is what it is.

Besides, those signs are for commercial vehicles. How many people reading this thread have actually HEARD a Jake Engine Brake on a RV when it was being used?

I could probably count the number on one finger and that person is legally deaf.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard, "it is what it is, and then it is what you make of it." I also have the simple exhaust brake, not that loud clapper jake brake heard on the big rigs. I still contend that the community is giving up safety for convenience of a few. Yep, I'd be upside down also. One day though, one day someday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
There are many communities, of which Anacortes is one, that ban the use of exhaust brakes within city limits. If you don't shut it off, I think it's a $100 ticket. If you can't shut it off, I believe you'll be towed to the city limits and told to leave town.
Frank, I would argue that I did not have my exhaust brake on, that I just down shifted and all that was heard was the engine braking on its own. There is no way anyone can tell the differense between a hard down shift and an exhaust brake. At least not on my cheap "harumpfh" rig.
__________________
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD
RVM14
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #74
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
There are many communities, of which Anacortes is one, that ban the use of exhaust brakes within city limits. If you don't shut it off, I think it's a $100 ticket. If you can't shut it off, I believe you'll be towed to the city limits and told to leave town.
frankdamp
Me thinks that is incorrect!
"Compression brakes" or other "engine brakes" perhaps...but certainly NOT "exhaust brakes".... (which add no noise when applied).
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #75
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post

frankdamp

Me thinks that is incorrect!

"Compression brakes" or other "engine brakes" perhaps...but certainly NOT "exhaust brakes".... (which add no noise when applied).
Mel
'96 Safari
Mel,

This supports what I had posted way back in this thread which I have re-posted below.

Dr4Film ----- Richard


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

However, there are way too many people who don't know the difference between an Exhaust Brake and an Engine Brake.

For those that don't Google is your friend.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #76
Senior Member
 
Scottybdivin's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Spicewood Texas (West of Austin)
Posts: 3,380
Here is a little information about the use of engine brakes.

Quote:
Engine Brake Legislation
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires all trucks manufactured since 1988 to produce 80 db(A) of noise at 50 feet (15.2 meters). This range includes the exhaust system. The EPA also prohibits removing noise-reducing equipment from any vehicles [source: Jacobs Vehicle Systems].
Engine brakes are not always to be blamed for the loud noise that is so often heard on the road and can be bothersome to residents along heavy-use highways. Improper exhaust systems can be the problem, and many states are enacting legislations stating this:
In 2003, Montana required mufflers on all commercial vehicles equipped with engine brakes, per Bill 237. Any person who violates the bill is guilty of a misdemeanor and will be fined $500 [source: Montana Legislative Services].
The 2000 Colorado House Bill 00-1142 requires any vehicle equipped with an engine compression brake device to have a muffler. Violators are subject to a $500 fine [source: Jacobs Vehicle Systems].
In a multistate highway transportation agreement, Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming adopted legislation based on the Colorado law that requires mufflers on any vehicle equipped with an engine brake. Any persons violating the legislation will be required to pay a $500 fine [source: Jacobs Vehicle Systems].
__________________
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
ShapeShifter's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
However, there are way too many people who don't know the difference between an Exhaust Brake and an Engine Brake.

For those that don't Google is your friend.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
True, there is lots of confusion, especially when the terms (which are not interchangeable) are used interchangeably.

There is further confusion with the terms Jake Brake and PacBrake and PackBrake:
  • Jake Brake or JakeBrake is a colloquial term for a brake system made by Jacobs. Jacobs mostly makes engine compression brakes, and that is what people generally mean when they say Jake Brake, but Jacobs also makes exhaust brakes.
  • PacBrake is the name of a company that mostly makes exhaust brakes, and that is what most people mean when they say PacBrake, but they also make engine compression brakes.
  • PackBrake is a misnomer, there is no such company. Anybody using that term probably means PacBrake (which is probably an exhaust brake, but could be an engine compression brake.)

It certainly can get confusing! And then there are transmission retarders, built into some transmissions, but very few coaches have them.
__________________
Adam and Sue, and a pack of little furballs
2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ Limited Edition - Cummins ISL 400
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad - USGear Unified Tow Brake, Roadmaster Blackhawk II Tow bar, Blue Ox baseplate
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
palehorse89's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
True, there is lots of confusion, especially when the terms (which are not interchangeable) are used interchangeably.

There is further confusion with the terms Jake Brake and PacBrake and PackBrake:
  • Jake Brake or JakeBrake is a colloquial term for a brake system made by Jacobs. Jacobs mostly makes engine compression brakes, and that is what people generally mean when they say Jake Brake, but Jacobs also makes exhaust brakes.
  • PacBrake is the name of a company that mostly makes exhaust brakes, and that is what most people mean when they say PacBrake, but they also make engine compression brakes.
  • PackBrake is a misnomer, there is no such company. Anybody using that term probably means PacBrake (which is probably an exhaust brake, but could be an engine compression brake.)

It certainly can get confusing! And then there are transmission retarders, built into some transmissions, but very few coaches have them.
And to make this even more interesting..........who knows who/if anyone uses both Compression & Exhaust braking on a diesel engine
Best of both world's?
__________________
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
ChasA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 1,857
Then there is the Variable Geometry Turbo, or VGT , another form of exhaust brake.
__________________
2010 Winnebago Journey Express 34Y
2010 Freightliner XCS (mfd 9/'09)
'07 Saturn Vue V6
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #80
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
There are many communities, of which Anacortes is one, that ban the use of exhaust brakes within city limits. If you don't shut it off, I think it's a $100 ticket. If you can't shut it off, I believe you'll be towed to the city limits and told to leave town.
frankdamp
Signs that prohibit the use of "engine brakes", which are quiet/silent.
They prohibit the use of engine brakes, (aka: Jake Brake/compression release brakes), which make a lot of noise.
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________

__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brake



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What exhaust Brake Wes Hawkins Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 3 01-11-2015 08:32 PM
2014 Phaeton 40QBH Exhaust Brake Issues rmilewsk Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum 13 08-12-2014 07:53 PM
PRXB Exhaust Brake Gedwards1149 Cummins Engines 2 06-20-2014 02:54 PM
88 Fleetwood Limited Parking Brake jmerritt Vintage RV's 1 05-29-2014 09:16 PM
Spare Exhaust Brake (PacBrake) Dutch Star Don Monaco Owner's Forum 2 02-27-2014 10:47 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.