Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #43
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Just to avoid confusion, I think you may have meant you press the THROTTLE pedal to deactivate the exhaust brake when using the BrakeSwitch.

WOW! Bob, you're absolutely right! I just corrected that! Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
You NEVER ride the brakes in any large RV. That is a sure way of losing brake control completely.

Also my Exhaust Brake activates when I completely remove my foot from the fuel treadle, NOT when I ride the brake pedal.

When descending a grade with the Exhaust Brake working, when your speed increases to a level where the transmission is about to up-shift, that's when you TROUNCE on the brake pedal HARD to reduce your speed 8-10 mph. Once you reach your aim speed remove your foot from the brake pedal.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I agree

That is known as "snub braking"...(information and videos can be found by doing an online search for "snub braking video").

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Unless in slow, stop and go city traffic, I leave mine on with the cruise control on. That puts the transmission in "latch" mode, which kicks in the exhaust brake only when I apply the brake--otherwise, it coast.
Vince & Patricia, Carson City, NV, FMCA, RVMutants#130
With: Ch. "Carrie", Std. Schnauzer & "Sophie" Cocker
'06 Phaeton 40QDH + '11 Fiesta w/ AirForceOne.
"It is more important to know the journey is the destination than to get there quickly."
desertvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #46

Country Coach Owners Club
Exhaust brake on all the time except in slow urban traffic.

I think this helps keep it from freezing closed over time.

Lube the PacBrake 1x per year.

Plays well with the cruise control.

Both are 20 years old so maybe they have learned to work together?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've evolved a bit with some experience with my 1 step EB. Also, my toad has a 65 MPH tow limit so that also plays a part in my choices.

Assuming road conditions aren't wet, icy...

NORMALLY:

1. EB and Cruise Control (CC) are both ON when at cruise speed on open/restricted access roads. This also assumes everyone is moving along at a normal clip.

2. EB and CC are ON in rolling hills. The EB will kick in at 3 MPH above CC. Since I normally cruse at 60-62 MPH that minimizes additional braking to control max tow speed.

3. EB & CC are both off in stop & go traffic.

4. EB on, CC off on steep down hills. I use brake & throttle to control EB actions. (I am thinking about some of the options pointed out by others about ECM changes.)

The worst case situation besides icy/snowy roads is a steep decline in wet conditions. I think one has to carefully consider the possibility of breaking traction with a sudden application of EB. Those of you with multiple settings might have less of a concern with a low setting. Regardless of the EB configuration, In such a case it would seem that the most appropriate actions would be to ensure the coach brakes were used to get the coach to the desired speed before activating the EB. After that it would be very important to apply snub braking a little more quickly and frequently then on dry road conditions. The advantage of snub braking is that if the toad also has brakes you get those in play and your ABS is also activated.

I've taken to heart the concern about glazing of brakes if not used on a regular, significant basis. I tend to turn the EB off as I us exit ramps and "exercise" my brakes at those times. I brake as hard as I can without being stupid about it. This seems to have worked well in stopping brake squeal.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
My feeling is that the exhaust brake maintains my speed going down without using the brakes.If I have to ride the brake pedal to activate the exhaust brake won't the brakes heat up?I like being in control and turning the switch on and off myself.Mine stays on most of the time unless I am in slow city traffic or slippery.
All you have to do is touch the brake to engage the engine brake. Personally, I think they should put the on/off sw. In the rear closet so you can't get to it while driving. Far too much concern. It's like which car do you drive. Unless it's slick turn it on and forget about it.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
All you have to do is touch the brake to engage the engine brake. Personally, I think they should put the on/off sw. In the rear closet so you can't get to it while driving. Far too much concern. It's like which car do you drive. Unless it's slick turn it on and forget about it.
Hi Noel, how does yours work when using your cruise control? Will it(EB) maintain your speed set point? As soon as you hit your brakes to slow/engage the engine brake, does the transmission downshift?
Just wondering?
Old 03-18-2015, 01:34 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hi Noel, how does yours work when using your cruise control? Will it(EB) maintain your speed set point? As soon as you hit your brakes to slow/engage the engine brake, does the transmission downshift?
Just wondering?
Depends on your speed. It sets up the transmission with the capability of downshifting. The more you slow the mh with the brakes the more the tranny will downshift, within the parameters of not over speeding the engine.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
Depends on your speed. It sets up the transmission with the capability of downshifting. The more you slow the mh with the brakes the more the tranny will downshift, within the parameters of not over speeding the engine.
What sets what up? Does your engine brake hold/maintain your set speed when on cruise control? Capability of downshifting? can you control this? I understand that the transmission will downshift per the Allison shift program. Just wondering how it works as far as maintaining your cruise set point.......Thank you......
Old 03-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Many (most) communities around here have signs that say "Use of exhaust brakes prohibited". A couple weeks ago, I saw a LEO parked about 50 feet beyond one of the signs. Has this been an issue for anybody or is the noise level too low to cause a problem.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Many (most) communities around here have signs that say "Use of exhaust brakes prohibited". A couple weeks ago, I saw a LEO parked about 50 feet beyond one of the signs. Has this been an issue for anybody or is the noise level too low to cause a problem.
These Coach's are really muffled Scott, if you were to install a "Aero Muffler"(Straight through) and use your engine brake, it would be loud! and might get you in trouble, those signs/laws were installed for trucks with straight pipes that did not have enough common sense to not use their engine brake within city limits, and at night when folks are sleeping..........I have never heard/read of anyone with a Coach fined/pulled over for using the engine brake in city limits.......
Old 03-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #54

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post

I've thought those signs referred to the Jake brake that is very loud. The exhaust brake (retarder) I don't think increases the exhaust noise - or does it? Any how I've had exhaust brake for about 15 years & well over 100K miles and have not paid attention to those signs - either it is OK for the exhaust brake or I have been lucky.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Most all signs state "Engine brake"

Which, means all forms of engine braking..........
Hers one for Scott.........
Old 03-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
There is no way anyone can hear when my PacBrake Exhaust Brake is working.

I don't pay any attention to those signs.

In fact if my coach had a Jake Engine Brake I would take bets that you'd be hard pressed to hear that too when it is working.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake