Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
What sets what up? Does your engine brake hold/maintain your set speed when on cruise control? Capability of downshifting? can you control this? I understand that the transmission will downshift per the Allison shift program. Just wondering how it works as far as maintaining your cruise set point.......Thank you......
I guess I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking about what happened when I touched the brake.
Yes, the engine brake will hold the speed within its capability while on cruise control.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #58

Why would you leave it on, every time you let off to coast you would be the brake on.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Why would you leave it on, every time you let off to coast you would be the brake on.
Not on mine, it will coast forever unless you touch the brake.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
I guess I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking about what happened when I touched the brake.
Yes, the engine brake will hold the speed within its capability while on cruise control.
Thats why I was asking Noel, I have read other posts, where one stated that when using the cruise control, his would not hold the set speed, by the interaction of the engine brake automatically, his speed would go in excess of his set point, then he would have to apply the brakes to slow, but when he hit the brakes to slow, the transmission downshifted to its target gear of 4th, with a result of slowing way to much.........so when using cruise control, he shut off his engine brake and just used his service brakes to maintain/slow, and then hit the set button again. I have been asking this because it seems one can't have it both ways with the factory settings........cruise control and engine braking to maintain speed set point(cruise control), with the default factory downshift setting of the Allison Transmission. The reason for the questions, is that I had my programs changed so my engine brake work with my cruise control and it is wonderful for highway traveling, and am just wondering if anyone with these newer Coach's had made changes or how the factory had them set up, as when I up grade soon????? I will have the factory defaults modified again to suit my driving needs. Looking forward to a 2 stage or 3 stage compression braking system like I had on my trucks Thank you!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
Not on mine, it will coast forever unless you touch the brake.
With my exhaust brake on as soon as you let off the gas it's cuts on and give it gas it cuts off.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:10 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
With my exhaust brake on as soon as you let off the gas it's cuts on and give it gas it cuts off.
These different methods of activation are all selections/options that are in the programs and are configurable to suit the drivers needs/desires.........
Manufactures vary in their default settings and how things work.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:35 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Not all Exhaust Brakes are created equal nor are they programmed the same.

Even though my EB Switch is on 24/7/365 it will not activate until my foot is completely removed from the fuel pedal.

If I want to coast my foot is resting on the fuel pedal with zero pressure. If I need some fuel I press on the fuel pedal. If I am climbing a steep grade the pedal is to the metal.

I knew this thread would eventually morph into something other than whether people left their Exhaust Brake always on or off.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
True 2 stage Jake (engine brake) here on a 500hp Cummins switched on at all times. On my unit, the cruise control performs as normal but Jake will not control speed downhill on cruise. The cruise control releases when either the chassis brake pedal or the dedicated, factory installed Jake pedal is touched or the switch is turned off.

The Jake operates when chassis brake pedal or the Jake pedal is applied. Jake does not apply when throttle is released allowing the coach to "coast". When applied at low speed, the Jake automatically releases at 5-7 mph and the coach will coast until the chassis brakes are applied, or the vehicle stops rolling.

I use the Jake pedal extensively and cannot imagine having a large coach without one. The original brake disc pads (ft & drive axle) and brake shoes (tag axle) have many miles of service remaining. Gotta love these old dinosaurs! Your experience may vary...
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #65
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I leave mine off unless needed. I don't want the brake coming on everytime I decide I want to coast. Besides it's just a switch that has to be thrown.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Many (most) communities around here have signs that say "Use of exhaust brakes prohibited". A couple weeks ago, I saw a LEO parked about 50 feet beyond one of the signs. Has this been an issue for anybody or is the noise level too low to cause a problem.
Scottybdivin
I believe you mean that there are signs prohibiting "Engine Brakes", (aka: "Compression Brakes" or "Jake Brakes").
Since exaust brakes make no "noise difference" it is NOT illegal to use an exhaust brake, like a PacBrake, when/where those signs are posted.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
I only use mind when descending a steep hill. Food for thought, if you are towing a vehicle with an auxiliary brake system, it could activate the car brakes based on the inertia change when the exhaust brake engages, thereby causing additional wear to the towed vehicles brakes.
JnCMill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnCMill View Post

I only use mind when descending a steep hill. Food for thought, if you are towing a vehicle with an auxiliary brake system, it could activate the car brakes based on the inertia change when the exhaust brake engages, thereby causing additional wear to the towed vehicles brakes.
That will only happen on any stand-a-lone cheapo systems that are not connected to the coach braking system in any fashion.

I think you will find that most high quality auxiliary braking systems for RV toads are controlled by the coach and are not the cheapo stand-a-lone kind.

My trailer brake controller has an inertia system built into it however my brake controller ONLY works when I use the service brakes not when I use the Exhaust Brake.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I've taken to heart the concern about glazing of brakes if not used on a regular, significant basis. I tend to turn the EB off as I us exit ramps and "exercise" my brakes at those times. I brake as hard as I can without being stupid about it. This seems to have worked well in stopping brake squeal.
Don, I have never, ever heard of this and with 40 years of automotive/racing experience cannot fathom how this can happen. Brakes can glaze from overheating due to over use, but not from "under use". I am curious to know if you have drum brakes or disk.

Sorry for the off-topic.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:39 AM   #70
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin
Many (most) communities around here have signs that say "Use of exhaust brakes prohibited". A couple weeks ago, I saw a LEO parked about 50 feet beyond one of the signs. Has this been an issue for anybody or is the noise level too low to cause a problem.

I do understand that those signs are for noise abatement but I really get concerned when the populace noise concerns are more than their safety concerns. I know for a fact that I stop a lot faster when my exhaust break is engaged.

With that said, I leave mine on all the time (exhaust brake) even when I see those signs. I don't think there is anyone out there that can tell whether I had the exhaust brake engaged or if I down shifted. Jake brakes may be a different issue regarding noise, but they still provide a better degree of safety.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake