Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
OK. Many interesting comments.

I have a question. Rather than taking a poll of who uses the exhaust brake and when, how about asking (I am asking...) why do you leave it on all the time? It seems to me it is needed most when going down steep grades to keep from burning up the service brakes or in out of the ordinary situations of having to stop quicker than normal. But I am a relative rookie to all of this so what do I know.

I have used mine for steep grades and for the unexpected added braking required in a few situations. I do not leave the switch on all the time.

Maybe I should. I am just interested in hearing why you do leave it on most or all of the time.

Hereís my answer to Why. I use my exhaust brake all the time except when roads are slick. The E brake is faster than I am as it comes on as soon as the throttle is up. It is a fact that it takes at least ĺ sec. to get your foot from the throttle to the brake peddle (@60 that is 66í). That could be enough to make a difference.
I respectfully suggest that you rethink that wet roads are always OK. The first rain after a dry spell can make roads like ice. Also when there is enough water on the road to cause hydro planing you donít want braking from the Ebrake. You certainly don't want use the Ebrake while towing if there is any chance the road might be slick unless you are also using the trailer brakes. JMHO
Looks like where I learned to drive. (another part of Idaho)

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #16
I drive a tractor trailer ( car hauler) for a living and I never ever turn the jake off. Haven't jack knifed yet ( touch wood ).

2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #17
Originally Posted by CD View Post
Looks like where I learned to drive. (another part of Idaho)
Cow Creek road - Lucile, Idaho
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 towing 2000 Jayco Eagle 296 FBS
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #18
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
I drive a tractor trailer ( car hauler) for a living and I never ever turn the jake off. Haven't jack knifed yet ( touch wood ).
I guess the key word here is "Yet".
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
77,000 miles and the exhaust brake has never been off. The other benifit is that my service brakes look like new
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #20
I also belong to the camp that believes that if your exhaust brake is 'off' you won't be able to find the switch fast enough to engage it if you want to. This is why I engage it with the cruise switch as my hand is closer to this switch than the exhaust brake switch which is on the dash.

By having the exhaust switch programmed to no lower than 4th gear, I don't think it will get me into a situation on wet roads which will get me into trouble (touch wood).

This is why I keep it on all the time.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H - CAT C7, Koni's, MCU's, SS Bell Crank, Safe-T-Plus
'07 HHR Toad, SMI AFO, Blue OX
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
First of all, you need to determine if you have an exhaust brake or an engine brake. My guess is you have an exhaust brake. There is a difference. And it makes a difference in stopping power. As with exhaust brakes and engine brakes, the later models have different stages you can select. If you leave it on the highest setting (with less braking) the roads would have to be very slick to cause the tires to break free when the roads are wet. Snow, that's a different matter. If the roads are slick, the last thing you want to happen is have your front brakes lock up by the driver who over reacts and steps on them to hard.

It does not harm or cause excessive wear on the engine to use the exhaust or engine brake. So, why would you want to wear out your service brakes in the majority of the times you have sufficient distance to slow down?

And yes, many motor homes do have engine or as they are called Jacobs Brakes (Jake Brake). I use mine ALL the time.

Of course, these are just my opinions.

David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #22
I guess the key word here is "Yet".
Just got home from a very snowy trip.... didnt jack knife today...
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #23
Commercial Member
Monaco Owners Club
I would leave it "available to use" all the time.... it sure saves your service brakes and just makes it easier to control the coach in general. When cresting a hill, you should be going nice and slow so you can use your PAC brake to help control your RV.
Some of the bigger RV's have JAKE brakes, but most are the PAC brakes which don't make enough noise to hurt anything. Let the systems do their jobs.... use the PAC brake to help control your rig..... do all your testing and getting used to it on dry roads first so you get a good feel for what it does and how. I would never turn it off. You want that "option" all the time....
Bernie, Karen & Digbe http://www.RV-Insight.com
Full Timers - SD Tags - Today - North Central USA
2000 Monaco Windsor 38' Diesel Pusher w/250 Scoot
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have my engine brake on most of the time and am a big fan of using it. The engine doesn't slow down that much with it off. I will switch it off on gradually rolling hills on the interstate that I guess are about 2-3% grades that can be annoying to have the brake come on when the engine will hold back enough to not go over 65 mph. I don't tow over 65 mph with my Honda CRV toad. I usually drive 60 mph.
My Jacobson 2 stage brake quits at 10 mph and pulls down in all gears. I like it.
I have lived in snow all my life so feel comfortable with slick roads (mostly). I had to drive on ice and snow from N Idaho to get to Arizona and the brake was on most of the time, usually low setting. I use the high setting mostly in heavy traffic and 6-7% or steeper grades. More effective to shift down and use at higher rpm.

Jerry J.
2008 Winnebago Vectra 40TD
2007 Honda CRV
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote