Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exhaust Brake Usage

Hey All,

I just moved up from a E450 based class C to a 35' DP (2010 Itasca Meridian V Class 34Y). I certainly can feel what the exhaust brake does.

My question is; Are there times when I definitely don't want to have the exhaust brake on?

offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Good question and I think you will get different answers but here what I have learned over the years. First, I leave mine on all the time when the roads are dry. Second, I use it very selectively when the roads are damp not pouring rain. In pouring rain I turn it off and use the regular breaks. Last, always leave it off in snow or especially on ice. Let's see what others say.

fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
I only use my Exhaust Brake when going down long steep grades, and also when in stop and go traffic.
Dean, Denise and Jasmine
Monaco Knight & CR-V Toad
Deanlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Use my exhaust brake all the time. Its not unsafe to use on wet roads.. in my opinion.... others may disagree so its good to hear many opinions.
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Unless there is a sign at the town limits that prohibits its use, mine is on at all times. I do not drive in the snow but it would be a good idea to not use it on snow and ice.
2004 H/R Endeavor PDQ
2005 PT Cruiser
1982 Yamaha 185 Exciter
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pending if your coach has a two or three stage setting. If it is snowing / ice you would want to keep it on the lowest (less braking) setting. This would normally only apply when in a stop & go traffic situation. Having it set on the highest setting while traveling at highway speeds is not going to cause a drive wheel to lock up.
2013 Berkshire 390BH 360
My Albums
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I only use it on long down grades or on shorter steeper grades in the dry. If you read about them in the manual, you are not to use them in wet or icy road conditions. I know some will say it's ok when wet, but in many areas, especially right after the start of rain the roads will be as slick as ice due to oil and dust accumulations. The last thing you want to happen is for the back end to break loose.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Mine is only on when on down grades or when I need to come down from freeway speeds to a stop. I like to be able to coast.

Many will probably chime in that some brakes can be programmed to operate in different ways to fit your personal driving style and those are worth learning about.

BTW, congrats on your new rig!

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #9

I have mine programmed to 'Latch' mode. I keep it 'on' all the time.

So here's how it works:

With the exhaust brake switch 'on': When cruise control is in the 'on' position the exhaust brake will not come on unless I either 1) tap the brake pedal, or 2) switch the cruise control 'off'. I almost always manage the exhaust brake with the cruise control switch. It has become second nature to me in most all driving situations. If I need to slow down quicker, push the brake pedal, and the exhaust brake comes on as well. With the cruise control 'off' the exhaust brake will not engage either by brake petal or otherwise.

Secondly, I have reprogrammed my transmission to only downshift to 4th gear, as I have found that 2nd gear programming (which is preset from the factory) is too aggressive when the exhaust brake is applied.

Thirdly, if I am in slippery conditions (I don't consider rain too slippery) I will turn off the exhaust brake by the main switch.

Fourthly (is there such a word as fourthly?) towns which prohibit 'Jake Brakes' on the signs you see are specific to just that: Jake Brakes. I don't believe any of our motorhomes have Jake Brakes which make that nasty sound when slowing down. We have mostly engine brakes, and compression brakes (which may have more than 1 preset).

I really love the intelligence of the Allison transmission and the programming set points which I have chosen, which I believe enhances drivability (and stopping capability) of my coach.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H - CAT C7, Koni's, MCU's, SS Bell Crank, Safe-T-Plus
'07 HHR Toad, SMI AFO, Blue OX
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
offthewall, Do everything that Pusherman says. He is right on the money.
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
I leave it on about 98% of the time. Seem to only turn it off when it gets irritating with the lurch in stop and go traffic.
2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
With the cruise control 'off' the exhaust brake will not engage either by brake petal or otherwise.
Correction: With the exhaust brake 'on' and the cruise control 'off' the exhaust brake will come on in Latch mode when you let off the accelerator. This is how I control it while driving. I keep the cruise 'on' until I want to slow down, and switch crusie 'off' to slow the unit with the exhaust brake before using the service brakes. To coast without having the exhaust brake come on, simply keep cruise 'on' until you want the exhaust brake to come on, and switch cruise 'off'.

To keep the exhaust/compression brake from coming on at all, be sure to switch the main control 'off'.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H - CAT C7, Koni's, MCU's, SS Bell Crank, Safe-T-Plus
'07 HHR Toad, SMI AFO, Blue OX
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #13
OK. Many interesting comments.

I have a question. Rather than taking a poll of who uses the exhaust brake and when, how about asking (I am asking...) why do you leave it on all the time? It seems to me it is needed most when going down steep grades to keep from burning up the service brakes or in out of the ordinary situations of having to stop quicker than normal. But I am a relative rookie to all of this so what do I know.

I have used mine for steep grades and for the unexpected added braking required in a few situations. I do not leave the switch on all the time.

Maybe I should. I am just interested in hearing why you do leave it on most or all of the time.

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #14
I use mine as a primary braking unit. I do most of all my braking with my exhaust brake. Then once I'm back down to about 20 MPH use the standard service brakes on the truck...

Maybe that's why I'll do my first brake pad service at 200K miles... No kidding I've got 180K miles on the factory brake pads. All I do is drive the mountain roads of Idaho hauling utility trailers and now my new TT...

Yes I do monthly brake pad inspections and still got 40% of my pads left yet...

YouTube - Haulin' Firewood from Coldsprings mountain

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 towing 2000 Jayco Eagle 296 FBS
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote