Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 01:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
When pulling a hill and your water temp. starts to climb, it is time to shift down and bring up the rpm's. Having driven alot of different vehicles with pyrometers they sort or go hand in hand with your water temp. gauge. When an engine has been upgraded with a chip or such technology then a pyrometer is much more valuable as the exhaust temps. can climb alot faster.
by the time you see it in the water temp you could exceed piston melting temps by minutes.... all my diesel get a egt gauge.

i got told my stock 6.2L non turbo could not get that hot...WRONG it can
love this one: Digital EGT Gauge with TC-KEGTS Probe [Combo-EGTS] - $88.50 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry
thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 05:51 AM   #16

I'm a big fan of having the ability to monitor your EGT. On my F350 I have the Edge programmer and monitor the EGT during pulls but mostly at idle for lower temps before turning the engine off to protect the tubo. I use 400 degrees and below as a safe temp. to turn the engine off. My coach has the Maxxforce engine without the DEF system but with the DPF with 3 temperature monitoring points. When any one of the 3 monitors exceeds 750 degrees a dash light comes on. I don't know what the exact temperature is but it is an indicator I can use for long mountain pulls or at idle to let the turbo's cool before shutting down the engine.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #17
TR4

I installed the Isspro EV2 EGT gauge. It shows temperatures and you have the ability to program a warning light to come on at a set temperature. The first time I used it I was going over one of the nearby bridges (no toad). It's about a one mile climb to the top. In that climb coolant temperature went from 190 to 195, EGT went from 500 to 1100 in less than 30 seconds. Outside temperature was about 85. I would imagine that on a long climb and towing, things would get quite toasty.

Bill
Old 06-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Banks does for sure..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMCgauges.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	131600  
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:45 AM   #19

If you have a pyrometer, the location of the probe (sender) makes a difference in the maximum temperature to be aware of.

If the probe is located in the exhaust manifold to measure the exhaust gas before it reaches the turbocharger, the common maximum value might be 1250F.

However, if the probe is in the exhaust pipe to measure the exhaust gas after it passes through the turbocharger, you would need to reduce that maximum value to some amount. Just how much the reduction should be depends on how far downstream the probe is put. It is not uncommon to see a reduction of 200F to 300F just past the turbocharger, and in some conditions it can vary more than that. IE, if the exhaust gas temperature is 1200F in the manifold preturbo, it will be perhaps 1000F or 900F postturbo, and perhaps even less.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer6 View Post
If you have a pyrometer, the location of the probe (sender) makes a difference in the maximum temperature to be aware of.

If the probe is located in the exhaust manifold to measure the exhaust gas before it reaches the turbocharger, the common maximum value might be 1250F.

However, if the probe is in the exhaust pipe to measure the exhaust gas after it passes through the turbocharger, you would need to reduce that maximum value to some amount. Just how much the reduction should be depends on how far downstream the probe is put. It is not uncommon to see a reduction of 200F to 300F just past the turbocharger, and in some conditions it can vary more than that. IE, if the exhaust gas temperature is 1200F in the manifold preturbo, it will be perhaps 1000F or 900F postturbo, and perhaps even less.

Good point. The probe on my truck is in the exhaust manifold and has read 1200 degrees when pulling my old 5th wheel. On the coach the monitors are down stream beyond the turbo's and are triggered at 750 degrees. They regularly come on after exiting the interstates then goes off after a few minutes when the temperature drops. If the trigger at 750 then it's safe to assume they really trigger at around 1000 degrees at the manifold.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #21
Community Moderator

i dug the temp for isc 350 recently. according to tech docs and discussion boards, the temp on exhaust manifold can reach about 2200 deg; the temp on the turbo outlet - the flange coupling with pacbrake is about 800-1000 deg.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
i dug the temp for isc 350 recently. according to tech docs and discussion boards, the temp on exhaust manifold can reach about 2200 deg; the temp on the turbo outlet - the flange coupling with pacbrake is about 800-1000 deg.
I'd be surprised if the engine can stand 2200F worth of exhaust gas in the manifold. Maybe 1200?
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW, I like Isspro.

Cummins engines are rated for 100% duty cycle above peak torque RPM. They are flat rated to 10k feet in altitude. I expect if you monitored the EGT before the turbo you might see the occasional spike of temperature. If you are running a stock fuel configuration then no worries, enjoy the scenery. I have pulled both sides of the Eisenhower Tunnel (11000ft) at 39000lbs with an ISC, water temp comes up to 198F if I push it.

Cummins does this with Charge Air Cooling and oil jets on the pistons.

If you go to messing with timing and fuel delivery it is an easy thing to melt pistons.

YMMV
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:41 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjjack View Post
by the time you see it in the water temp you could exceed piston melting temps by minutes.... all my diesel get a egt gauge.

i got told my stock 6.2L non turbo could not get that hot...WRONG it can
love this one: Digital EGT Gauge with TC-KEGTS Probe [Combo-EGTS] - $88.50 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

If you are melting pistons you are either getting too much fuel or are not paying attention. You can't just ram it to the floor and lug it up the hill.

Once your water temp starts climbing you shift down and keep the rpms up and make sure your fan is running. If the temp keeps going up then you will have to take further action such as gearing down further or pulling over and finding out what is wrong with your cooling system.

I have seen many engines that were overheated and the ones with melted pistons were over fueled and driven badly.

The Cat C12 I currently have in a truck has a pyro and the water temps. will go to 205 or so and the fan will cut in and bring it back down. The pyro never gets over 900. When the temp gets to that point I shift down a gear and get the rpm up and the fan will do its job.
You can install a pyro but it has to be done right and the position of the probe is essential to accurate readings.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First, my engine has been turned up (new exhaust manifold, turbo, pump work, etc.. )
I usually run around 900, will go to 12-1250 on a long pull and I can make it go to 1400 but never do...temps never fluctuate at all. Best advice I ever got regarding a diesel is that if you floor it and the speed doesn't change, you're in the wrong gear.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Banks PowerPack I installed on the '02 ISC 350 would derate if the EGT got to 1250-1300 before the turbo where they wanted the probe installed. And it worked exactly as advertised the few times it happened to me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
I installed the Isspro EV2 EGT gauge. It shows temperatures and you have the ability to program a warning light to come on at a set temperature. The first time I used it I was going over one of the nearby bridges (no toad). It's about a one mile climb to the top. In that climb coolant temperature went from 190 to 195, EGT went from 500 to 1100 in less than 30 seconds. Outside temperature was about 85. I would imagine that on a long climb and towing, things would get quite toasty.

Bill
A knowledgeble diesel mechanic related that Powerstrokes (Fords) are rated to run all day at EGT of 1100 degrees. Another guy on you tube that posts Powerstroke mechanical info stated that EGTs at 1100 degrees will cause the outside margines of the exhaust valves to glow red hot and if held that way the valves and valve seats will swap metal. Then the valves begin to leak hot exhaust gases and burned valves and eroded seats get you to a head rebuild shop. I installed my pyrometer on my pickup preturbo at an exhaust valve port to see what is really going on. When I do the install on the Cummins DP I want to do the same. Some one on here stated that if you do not modify with chip etc there is no need for a monitor. He is right. My Powwerstroke is chipped and when left in stock setting the EGT never gets to alarming levels but when the dial is turned up EGT will climb to 1200 degrees in a few seconds but I can see it and downshift and the temp will fall to 900
beboboy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #28
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer6 View Post
I'd be surprised if the engine can stand 2200F worth of exhaust gas in the manifold. Maybe 1200?
i could be wrong, i vaguely remember i read somewhere saying it could be reaching 2200. i was looking for a gasket for turbo that led me to dig into it.
on the other hand i knew engine has coolant circulating preventing it from that high...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas