Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #1

Exhaust Leak

I have a 1995 Damon Intruder with the Chevy P- 30 chassis 7.4 engine.
I rebuilt the engine this summer and the exaust gaskets were replaced. These gaskets were the same as the old ones and the old ones leaked. When I looked at the gaskets on the corner there was only about an 1/8" of gasket under the manifold. and they started leaking within 100 miles. I am thinking these are diff. exaust manifolds I need gaskets to fit these manifolds
DGAR1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
Yaj

Last summer I replaced a broken exhaust bolt on our 1995 chevy 454 in the P30. I vaguely remember reading that it was best to not put gaskets between the head and exhaust manifold. Actually use a high temp anti seize between the two, this was because of the manifold expanding and contracting. I tried to find the reference I'm referring to but I can't find it anywhere. I did find another repair manual that talked about cleaning the old gaskets off and putting new gaskets in for the intake manifold, but the exhaust manifold instructions did not have any reference to any gaskets.
Again this is a vague memory so you would have to do more research to validate what I am saying.
Good Luck!

Fort Myers, FL
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #3

I would clean surfaces then coat with light layer of high temp silicone torque down.Get engine warmed up then retorque. dave
dakratdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #4

Also check to make sure your manifolds are not warped and the ports match the ones in the heads.
dakratdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The manifolds are most likely warped as mentioned by dakratdave mentioned. They originally came with no gaskets. If you want to use gaskets get some high performance ones from a speed shop or any place that sell high performance parts.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #6

X2 with chboone, get a set of header gaskets and coat with anti seize. They are a little softer and should seal for you.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I had the gaskets replaced a year or so ago on the 82 PA 454 and they started to leak, so I took it back and they used a gasket that is paper\cardboard type material with metal doughnut around the center. So far it is so quite unbelievable.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DGAR1956

As others have stated your manifold probably is warped, or maybe pitted. If you can't get it to seal with a gasket, a good machine shop should be able to resurface your manifold for about $100 or less. This should work assuming the head, at the exhaust port/s are clean, not pitted and true.

Hope this either helps or gives you another option. Merry Christmas.

Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39 Z
tnrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakratdave View Post
I would clean surfaces then coat with light layer of high temp silicone torque down.Get engine warmed up then retorque. dave
Permatex Greatstuff, Its a black high temp silicone, I use it on race headers all the time. If you have pitting it will fill it nicely, run a flat file across the manifold to check for warping.
GraySeal65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #10

exhaust leak

The exhaust manifolds on those are notorious for warping and leaking. My advice is to find a company that makes tubular replacement manifolds, the dissipate the heat which the originals don't .
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you go the header route, get them with as thick flanges you can, at least 3/8"

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak