Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #1

Exhaust leak and Exhaust Brake

Hi Gang...Love this forum. I have a 2006 Revolution....The Cat exhaust has a flex type pipe from the exhaust manifold down to the muffler area. Mine has a big crack in it. I heard that there was a re-designed exhaust replacement for that pipe from Fleetwood and that possibly a tech bulletin on it. Has anyone heard of this? I am going to call Fleetwood as well but wanted to ask all of you first.

Also, my exhaust brake seems to always be on. I do have a rocker switch that only says "Exhaust brake" on it. Im not sure if it is supposed to be off in one position but it always seems to be on. Also when I turn on my emergency flashers I hear the air brakes making a "whooshing" sound each time the lights flash..... anybody? Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 01:53 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

1 post in 2 years... boy are you shy.

I can't help with the exhaust pipe. Sorry.

If the exhaust brake dash switch , seems to not disengage, the brake operation in either switch position , and you feel hold back and the trans gear display shows a lower gear ( second ? or forth ? ); I'd say defective switch.

Emergency flashers , cause a noise in the air brakes.
I can honestly say that's a new one .
Will it make the noise when your stationary , or only when moving ?
If you chock the coach wheels and release the park brake with the flashers on can you track the noise down to an area , front ? rear?

Old 04-18-2016, 04:23 AM   #3

I wonder if what you are hearing is the exhaust brake being activated by the four way switch??????

It could happen if the wires are crossed/misplaced. That would explain the inoperative exhaust brake control switch.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:13 AM   #4

There was another poster that had messed up a diode, that blocked the brake light power from backfeeding the exhaust brake circuit.

His engine would stall when he stepped on the brake.

The diode was in backwards.

Just something to look into.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:01 AM   #5

Yes,
bet we are on to something there (TB)

Hope the OP keeps us informed when he find s the answer....

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

1 post in 2 years... boy are you shy.

I can't help with the exhaust pipe. Sorry.

If the exhaust brake dash switch , seems to not disengage, the brake operation in either switch position , and you feel hold back and the trans gear display shows a lower gear ( second ? or forth ? ); I'd say defective switch.

Emergency flashers , cause a noise in the air brakes.
I can honestly say that's a new one .
Will it make the noise when your stationary , or only when moving ?
If you chock the coach wheels and release the park brake with the flashers on can you track the noise down to an area , front ? rear?

Thanks all for your response...I believe the switch IS working....although the little light on the switch does NOT come on. When it is in one position I can definitely feel the exhaust brake working. When in the other position it doesn't seem to be. This was like this when I bought the coach two years ago.... As far as the emerg. flashers....the swishing noise is coming from the rear of the coach. Each time the lights flash I hear the noise. My buddy who is a diesel mechanic is the one that said he believed it was activating the engine brake. I had heard it before when the flashers were on but didnt know what it was. I was hoping someone on here may have had the issue before. Your suggestions so far are definitely a good start. Maybe I will just replace the switch for starters and go from there.

So...the new issue this past weekend while at the Carlisle Car Show event in Pa....... My convection Microwave doesnt heat anything. It runs like it is working but nothing gets hot. Also getting a "plastic" like odor from it. It was working fine up until this weekend.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:38 PM   #7

The exhaust brake has a rocker type switch. You can have it on all the time or just switch it to the off position. When it is on a green light will flash on the instrument panel right above the speedometer.

The flex pipe on the muffler, you better fix it before it does some damage to the engine. Cheaper to buy the right part. Those engines are very expensive.

The emergency lights making a swishing noise??? I do not know what to tell you on that one.

The convection oven not working could have a blown fuse.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
The exhaust brake has a rocker type switch. You can have it on all the time or just switch it to the off position. When it is on a green light will flash on the instrument panel right above the speedometer.

The flex pipe on the muffler, you better fix it before it does some damage to the engine. Cheaper to buy the right part. Those engines are very expensive.

The emergency lights making a swishing noise??? I do not know what to tell you on that one.

The convection oven not working could have a blown fuse.
Thanks....The rocker switch currently does not light up but I can tell when it is on the "on" position because the exhaust brake really kicks in. I may just start by replacing that switch. As far as the flex exhaust pipe...I have the new section to install and hope to get it done this week. Its pretty tight getting in there.

As for the microwave....would it still sound like it was running if the fuse was blown? Is there a fuse that could be blown that prevents it from heating food? Its not the convection part it is the microwave part.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:05 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Try 'repairclinic.com' for the microwave issues. They have videos and if you think you found your problem, they sell the parts.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #10

If your exhaust brake is a Pac brake, it should be lubricated once per year. There are diagrams and instructions in my Freightliner manual. There is a special lubricant for the Pac brakes. I would lubricate it at the points shown in the diagrams and see if it unsticks.

Tags
brake, leak