Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

Exhaust manifold metal

If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it … a good saying. I was looking down at the top of the 3126B Cat motor in my 2001 Journey DL Winnebago. This is, of course, after I had raised the bed and removed the shield that covers the motor and protects the inside of the motorhome from the road and the engine. I was actually looking for the Vechicle Dynamics Controller… but I have also heard it referred to as the vechicle data computer. My low air pressure alarm was going off at random times for sometimes a second or two and sometimes for minutes at a time. Freightliner directed me to this part (VDC) as likely the problem. So far, unplugging the connectors and replugging them in seems to have solved the intermittent problem.

Anyway, as I am looking at the engine for any problems coming, I find this small piece of rusty metal laying on top of an exhaust manifold. I looked to see where it might have come from and I see this rusty metal piece that the smaller piece had come from. I gently pulled on the larger piece and it came off in my hand. Hmmmm…. Not good! After looking I see a similar piece on the bottom of the manifold. So, my question, are these pieces important? Nothing seems to be a problem and I have driven the motor home at least 800 miles since this finding. I have included pictures of the manifold area showing the remaining piece and the area where the other piece has rusted to the point of failure. The first picture shows the same piece on the bottom of the manifold and the second, the piece that broke off.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust manifold 1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	48399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Piece.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	48400  

dlboarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
rusty metal

Those are pieces of a lock plate to prevent the exhaust manifold capscrews from loosening. Personally I would not be concerned... if you attempt to loosen these bolts and replace them you will probably break some or all of the bolts. Then you will have a big problem.
rezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #3

Exhaust manifold metal

Rezman ... that sounds logical to me. I won't mess with them. Thanks for the help, I had no idea what they were for.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #4

Just a WAG here, but that may be a bolt lock to help prevent those two bolts from working loose. There is usually an ear on each end that is peeled down on the bolt head to keep it secure. Similar to using safety wire in the aviation business.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #5

I do believe you are right. The metal seems to be turned down into ears on the one that is still there (from photo I included). I believe this is what Rezman suggested too.