Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2018, 10:12 PM   #1

Exhaust modification advice

Adding a new sway bar to my 2008 Tiffin. The sway install was going along just fine but unfortunately my exhaust is slightly different than the expected design. Perhaps my rig has had exhaust work or perhaps someone at the Freightliner factory was bored and decided to get a little creative and added a crook-shaped bit of pipe to the exhaust instead of the right-angle that is usually found in this model.

In any event, the exhaust pipe intrudes on the sway bar install but just a few inches.

The way I see it, I have two choices.

1: Replace the odd curved pipe section with a flexible section that is bent at a sharper angle, which will more closely resemble the stock exhaust.

2: Cut a few inches out of the straight part of the exhaust pipe and move the whole shebang forward , replacing the cut-out section with a length of flex-pipe or pipe clamp.

Both solutions are about the same amount of work. The flexible pipes get very favorable reviews, particularly among truckers and hotrodders.

The question I have is - does it make any difference in terms of engine performance and function? I don't really know much about exhaust theory. I don't know which method is best for exhaust flow.

Does it even matter? All I need is about three or four inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fix_01.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	204402   Click image for larger version

Name:	fix_02.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	204403  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fix_03.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	204404  
deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2018, 10:28 PM   #2

Wow,
If you drew that or, have a program that did that, that's way cool. I like it!
Anyway, no, your engine performance will not be affected in any way. The curve is already there. All you're doing it modifying it some. Anyway you modify that system to help you accomplish the goal, will work just fine.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:09 AM   #3

If you can install a hard elbow or connector, I think you'd be better off.

Flex pipe works, but they do crack and leak over time. Any stress and movement will cause them to wear out.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:27 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Second picture...no flex, just a 4” wide clamp.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Is there an obstacle that the exhaust is going around? If not, I don't understand while someone would put such a bend in the exhaust.

If you can do the second picture - you will have a "less restrictive" exhaust and technically better performance (but I doubt you would notice a change).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:18 AM   #6

I've used the 4" band clamps with great success. If not inserting one pipe in the other, get the right clamp.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:01 AM   #7

Why not just go to a muffler shop and have a bent pipe made for the 2nd option? Just slide it onto the straight section and clamp it down. That would cause less problems in the future than a flex pipe and no chance for a leak. Also one less clamp.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:14 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe in KISS (Keep it super simple) Replace the shepard's crook with a straight elbow as is normal for the Rig.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Why not just go to a muffler shop and have a bent pipe made for the 2nd option? Just slide it onto the straight section and clamp it down. That would cause less problems in the future than a flex pipe and no chance for a leak. Also one less clamp.

Assuming 5 inch pipe, you could likely find the pipe you need off the shelf at a truck part store.

Quote:
The flexible pipes get very favorable reviews, particularly among truckers and hotrodders.
Not sure about hot rodders, but know truckers prefer to use only enough to allow for motormount and frame flex. The normal lifespan of the flex pipe is less than a third of the rest of pipe.
If you decide to shorten the pipe, move bend forward, you will need something to expand one so it will fit over the other. If you just butt the pipes together the band clamp will not hold...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Assuming 5 inch pipe, you could likely find the pipe you need off the shelf at a truck part store.

Not sure about hot rodders, but know truckers prefer to use only enough to allow for motormount and frame flex. The normal lifespan of the flex pipe is less than a third of the rest of pipe.
If you decide to shorten the pipe, move bend forward, you will need something to expand one so it will fit over the other. If you just butt the pipes together the band clamp will not hold...
Agree, the flex pipe is a maintenance item and will have to be routinely replaced. You do not want exhaust leaks below your living space.
Find a hard 90, it will give you the best results.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Here is what you need....https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Ma...+exhaust+elbow (4" dia) plus a couple of clamps. Or select the size needed.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #12
TR4

I did something similar using clamps.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/muff...nt-337042.html

Bill

Tags
advice, cat