Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Exhaust muffler Workhorse Chassis

Hi to any workhorse chassis owners or anyone with similar issue. I have a 2008 Damon Outlaw with 8.1 Workhorse. There are 2 separate mufflers that have a insulation and metal cover over the muffler. Due to condensation my driver side muffler cover has rusted out so I removed it. The muffler itself is good but should I be concerned that now there may be to much heat under the floor of the motorhome? Should I recover or add a heat shield?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Pitbull

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey!, Fellow Outlaw owner,

My '07 (on a W24) does not have any heat barrier around the mufflers...maybe an improvement in the '08(?) But, my mufflers are not near anything that is heat sensitive...maybe the '08 has the muffler tucked up tighter to the RV floor(?)

I recommend replacing any heat barrier that a vehicle came with.

And, maybe this question could be made in the Workhorse Chassis forum vs. the General Class A Discussion forum to get more expert exposure: Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum - iRV2 Forums

Best luck...

And, if interested, there's an Outlaw Mods and Easy Fixes thread I started:
OUTLAW Mods and Easy Fixes
where details of your exhaust project would be a welcome addition.

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Steve---I will check out the other sites. I am the the second owner and the unit came from California----I am in Canada so condensation can be quite a problem up here. I thought possibly the Cali regulations may be why they have the wraps and heat shield on.

Pitbull
Old 12-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2005 W-22 chassis. Myself and a friend spent over a week every day grinding and sanding to get rid of the rust on the compartments. While underneath the coach I did notice the muffler surface themselves were flaking and peeling off. I did not notice a heat shield between the chassis and the mufflers. An interesting thing is that I also was informed (by a workhorse dealer) that the manifolds were warped. The solution was to have the Banks Powerpac system installed. They replaced the two mufflers with one big one and had one big tail pipe. They did not install a heat shield above the muffler.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Codger
Old 12-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have heat shields above mine (probably fell off). I had two that were falling off where the exhaust pipes come out so I just removed the shields and for insurance just put some Dynamat/Dynaliner on the bottoms of the storage areas where the pipes come out to protect from any chance of heat.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did replace the heat shields that were attached to the exhaust pipes that travel under the storage compartments as you mention. Your repair is probably easier and just as good. The one I am referring to in around the muffler itself
Old 12-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull View Post
I did replace the heat shields that were attached to the exhaust pipes that travel under the storage compartments as you mention. Your repair is probably easier and just as good. The one I am referring to in around the muffler itself

Yep, what I was thinking is to do a liner on whatever may get heat above the mufflers and you won't have to deal with the crappy shields.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can I ask what that product is? Is it a heat reflective mat that you screw on?
Old 12-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is a stick on product that is very sticky from Thermo Tec. Has both sound proofing and heat protecting qualities:
http://www.thermotec.com/products/13...t-barrier.html

Tags
chassis, workhorse