Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
No point intended. Your post wasn't there when I posted!

DPF was a sort of interim system, right? Pre DEF?

DPF (diesel particulate filter) came first in '07 and later engines. That system is still there in DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) equipped engines which came on most engines in '10 and later. Current DEF equipped engines also have DPF as they address 2 different pollutants. These two systems may be integrated into the same or adjoining pieces of hardware. Generally the DPF system doesn't require user input and pretty much operates in the background.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The tip is the standard one used at the time by Freightlineron RV chassis. I believe the surface is ceramic but not sure. It can be cleaned and polished to a bright chrome like finish with a product available from Freightliner CCC and will look like new. It points down to exhaust the gases away from the Fiberglass to about melting it without protruding excessively.

bobmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #17

If you turn it sideways you will be a street sweeper
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #18

I have the same tip on my 08 Presidio. When we got the coach the dealer had polished it to look good. Did not last to long. I polished it once did not last. It is very ugly after a 2000 mile trip. Gets very hot when the DPF goes thru a regin cycle.
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Our 2009 Freightliner chassis motorhome had that tip on it. We replaced it a year or so ago with the new "fingernail" tip. All the coaches I saw in had that time standard on the Freightliner.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
Our 2009 Freightliner chassis motorhome had that tip on it. We replaced it a year or so ago with the new "fingernail" tip. All the coaches I saw in had that time standard on the Freightliner.
No problems with the new tip I take it? And it's a standard 5" pipe I assume?
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #21

At Camp Freightliner in Gaffney, Mike called it the "Dustpan" exhaust tip.
It is kinda fugly compared to a nice chrome turndown. I don't think it was used for very long or on very many units. Freightliner sells an attractive replacement.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I am not sure it is standard, And I am not sure it is not a "problem mod" it is a deflector designed to make the exhaust go down.. They made it by cutting a piece of swegeed pipe and hamering. I think a chrome turn down tip would be better.

But that said. I am not an automotive engineer. But from the looks of that turkey its gonna cause back pressure.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I am not sure it is standard, And I am not sure it is not a "problem mod" it is a deflector designed to make the exhaust go down.. They made it by cutting a piece of swegeed pipe and hamering. I think a chrome turn down tip would be better.

But that said. I am not an automotive engineer. But from the looks of that turkey its gonna cause back pressure.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

I completely agree...and it's tops on the fix list.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #25

Exhaust Tip

The use of DEF caused many problems with exhaust temperatures being extremely high. Could it be, the design allowing ambient air to be drawn into and mixed with the exhaust stream to help reduce exhaust temperatures.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #26

A turn down tip oriented to point down is a bad idea. Its better to point it to the outside and maybe slightly down. If you pull a toad that will keep the worst of the exhaust residue away from the toad. The other down side of pointing it down is when you drive on a dirt road like in a campground it will create a cloud of dust.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #27

Exhaust Tip

It is for deflecting the exhaust stream down and away from the coach, it also spreads out the stream to blend it and help cool it.

During a regen cycle the temp of the exhaust stream can exceed 500 degrees, so it is critical to keep it away from the coach or toad.

A chrome tip will probably discolor due to the high temps as you have found thru
polishing the existing tip.

My background is from heavy trucks using particulate traps and DEF systems. Some of the tips are designed to blend cool air in before exiting via vent just before the tip.

Others have more of a "fish tail" type tip that spreads the exhaust over a larger area.

Just be aware that going to a conventional round tip *may* concentrate exhaust in a narrow enough area to melt asphalt, blister paint, or catch grass or brush on fire.

As far as any restriction of the exhaust flow, it would be minimal to non-existent. The tip would change the direction and spread but not so much the total cfm flow at that point.

Just keep safety in mind and don't discount the temps back there. If you look though out the system , you will see areas that effort was taken to control the heat.

Cheers!
Old 06-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Okay, this unit is a 2009, and the chassis is a 2008, which means the engine is probably a 2008...maybe a 2007...it does not have the DEF.