Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2017, 12:23 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Experience of going to LED bulbs

Hi there everyone,

We are concerned that some of the lights on our motorhome are a little dimmer than they should be. For Backup, Break, turn and marker lights, we have a combination of 1156 or 1157 conventional bulbs. We are wondering if anyone has gone through the exercise of changing out their OEM incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs? If so, what did you do for a source of the bulbs, and what did you do experience in the end? Are you happy with the out come?

We appreciate your input!

Safe Travels!

luvdoggiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
In my coach they are sealed units. I changed them to led's. required three screws for each light unit and unplug and plugged in new ones. Simple! Much brighter bulbs!
Hope this helps!
Dave

P.S. bought the units at Loves Truck Stop in TX. 20.00 dollars for two each.

FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:06 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Funny you should ask. I just did this last night and it is a huge improvement. I bought these bulbs through Amazon.

LUYED 2 x 900 Lumens Super Bright 1157 3014 78-EX Chipsets 1157 2057 2357 7528 LED Bulbs Used For Turn Signal Light,Amber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F6OJMGW..._CUJJybAN16250

This link is for the amber bulbs but I also purchased red and white bulbs. Easy job on my coach. I picked these particular bulbs as I think they are brighter than some of the other ones. One of the bulbs I received was defective and I had to order a replacement.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Russ
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Anteres
1997 Jeep Wrangler, Blue Ox
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdoggiez View Post
Hi there everyone,

We are concerned that some of the lights on our motorhome are a little dimmer than they should be. For Backup, Break, turn and marker lights, we have a combination of 1156 or 1157 conventional bulbs. We are wondering if anyone has gone through the exercise of changing out their OEM incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs? If so, what did you do for a source of the bulbs, and what did you do experience in the end? Are you happy with the out come?

We appreciate your input!

Safe Travels!
luvdoggiez,
Just changing to new LED bulbs, may or may not be as bight as you may want them to be. The reason, one of the first things you should do in situation where you have a coach as old as yours is, get a volt meter and check the actual voltage that's getting to each filament. And, grounds or, lack of them I should say, are the leading cause of about 98% of the lighting issues on most coaches.

So, a thorough check of all the sockets and wire attachments TO those sockets to see if all the ground points and socket bases are CLEAN and corrosion free. The tail end of an RV is a fairly harsh environment. You'd be amazed at just how dirty and corroded the interior of those light housings can get.

So, just for your own satisfaction, before jumping out and spending ANY amount of money on LED change-over bulbs, I'd just do about 10-30 minutes of work/analyzing of all those bulb-sockets to make sure full voltage is getting to them and, all the grounding points of all the bulbs are corrosion free.

If you find good voltage, and the sockets are clean, THEN you order up what ever suits your fancy for all of what's needed for replacements. By the way, I've been dealing with the company below for years now and, by far, it's one of the most comprehensive companies for LED replacement, change, ideas, knowledge and a whole lot more. They have all information needed and available to help you make the correct pick. Good luck.
Scott

www.superbrightleds.com
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:36 AM   #5

I will add one thing to what Fire Up said.

If you are going to check the voltage at each bulb, you need to have the bulb in and turned on to get any value from your measurement. Each connection's voltage drop is in series with the bulb. For a high resistant connection to make itself known, it needs to have current flowing thru it.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I started with removing the florescent bulbs and wiring in 3 rows of LED bright white strips (I believe there were 5050). We only use them when we are cleaning, packing and unpacking. Boy, do we love them. I then switched out the bulb's but used warm white in the living, bedroom and bath area; which I feel seems a lot cozier than the day light bright white color.

So, a lot more light when we need it and low battery draw when we don't.

pat
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmsp View Post
I started with removing the florescent bulbs and wiring in 3 rows of LED bright white strips (I believe there were 5050). We only use them when we are cleaning, packing and unpacking. Boy, do we love them. I then switched out the bulb's but used warm white in the living, bedroom and bath area; which I feel seems a lot cozier than the day light bright white color.

So, a lot more light when we need it and low battery draw when we don't.

pat
Do you have a vendor name of the LEDs you used? And maybe the model #s? Don't mean to sound like a sponge but it seems like you have it figured out.
Thanks
Bringing her back to her glory.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:12 PM   #8

I was looking at doing this as well.

Plugging my toad into the motorhome makes the lights dimmer, so the extra load from the toad is pulling the voltage down.

I have an older motorhome and I suspect that I have ground issues or just old wires, so want to track them down first.

My thinking is LED's have lower current, so will experience lower voltage drop, but I agree that it would be better to fix the problem the proper way by fixing the wiring.

Just to add as well, if you do the turn signals, you'll probably find they flash very fast since the flasher relay is expecting a certain load. You'll need to change the flasher relay for an electronic kind.

Steve
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:32 PM   #9

As a former owner of a British sports car, I have had extensive experience with electrical problems with all things connected to a wire. ("Lucas Electric--The Prince of Darkness") The advice here about checking and cleaning grounds, is, as the Brits would say, is "spot on." As mentioned in a previous post, the back of an RV gets all manner of corrosive slop thrown up on it, so cleaning connections is job one when problems show up. This may be enough to solve your lighting issues, but there is no downside (except maybe up front cost) to replacing your incandescent bulbs with LEDs. Don't be put off by prices--you will spend more for quality bulbs but in my opinion they are worth it. (Especially of you are running Toad lighting from your RV lighting circuit.) Good luck with fixing your lighting issues! Let us know how things turned out.

Tags
led