Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #1

Smile Explosion

I started my 1998 Discovery this morning the air buzzer kept sounding and I observed the gauge was on 0 and not moving. I gave it a little gas and the next thing that happened was a small explosion. I shut it down went to the rear of the coach and behind the rear wheels was a filter looking item had blown apart. I am new to RVing I have no idea the name of the item. Lucky it is sitting in the backyard and not on the side of the road.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Randy
Lakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
It might be the water/ fuel separator filter?
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #3

If you could a picture would really help.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #4

If it was a Low Air Buzzer, I suspect what you heard and are seeing is a burst Air Dryer Filter. Are you in a cold climate? If so, it may have frozen and caused the filter to burst.
If that is in fact the case, it should not be a big deal to have a mechanic come out and replace it for you if you are not familiar with the process. While he's at it, ask him to explain how the system works and how to maintain it.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Little white colored balls all over? sounds like the governor on your air dryer did not release the air pressure at the cut off point, it would of taken a lot of pressure to do this to that filter! You are going to want someone to check out your entire braking system if this is what happened. Your air compressor kept building air and did not shut off at approximately 125 psi and kept building air till the filter blew out. There must be a lot of moisture in your system if I had to guess.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Agree, it probably the filter. Post a pix and we can help you with it.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Little white colored balls all over? sounds like the governor on your air dryer did not release the air pressure at the cut off point, it would of taken a lot of pressure to do this to that filter! You are going to want someone to check out your entire braking system if this is what happened. Your air compressor kept building air and did not shut off at approximately 125 psi and kept building air till the filter blew out. There must be a lot of moisture in your system if I had to guess.
I think you nailed it Palehorse...... You get the T Shirt.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #8

Explosion

Thanks everyone! It did have little white balls inside. It not only blew the filter off, the top piece that the filter connects to is broken. It was very cold this morning @ 20 degrees.

Guess I will have to find the part and go from there.

Thank you all.

Randy
Old 11-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Depending on your model, you may get kits right from your local NAPA dealer. I can get mine there.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It will be much cheaper from a truck facility than an RV place...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #11

Definately the air dryer that went bang. Now you have to figure outthe extent of damage. I too would say the fault was a result of ice in the line. Given your pressure gauge didn't come off zero, the damage should be limited to the air compressor to the dryer and with limited possibility, the wet tank. It sounds like the dryer's cutout valve did not work. This is the one that makes the air escaping sound. It also appears as though the air compressor doesn't have an overpressure relief valve. They don't all have them.

Gil
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #12

I am having my air drier and filter replaced at a truck repair shop this week. Both are the originals in a 99 Freightliner chassis, and the drier was not working. I'm in Connecticut, so probably pay more than the rest of country, but total cost labor and parts is $703. Good luck.
Rich
rkainsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #13

Air dryer filter need to ne replaced about every two years depending on how much you driver. If you are on the road all of the time it is not a bad idea to replace them yearly. It is better to replace the air dyer filter then to have the brake system go not when you most need it.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #14

When the filter part blew it flew into the floor along with several wires. I see a couple of connectors that look broke. The furnace was running when all this happened and now the furnace is blowing just cold air. Are any of the wring to the furnace in that area?

Thanks for all your help.

Randy